Five Below

Started by Hudsons81, April 12, 2013, 08:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudsons81

Apologies if another thread on this store has already been started, but searching it yielded no results. Anyway, Five Below is a Philadelphia-based discount chain targeted mostly to teenagers. Recently, they opened six new locations here in Michigan, one of them in Taylor, MI, in the Crossings at Taylor shopping center near Southland Center, between a Dollar Tree and a Value City Furniture (the same shopping center also includes one of Christmas Tree Shops' only Midwest locations), as well as in Chesterfield Township, MI, in the Waterside Marketplace shopping center near I-94 exit 243, as well as new stores in Benton Harbor, MI; Kalamazoo, MI; Okemos, MI and Saginaw, MI.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroit/index.ssf/2013/04/five_below_opening_six_new_sto.html

zonemad96

When my local five below opened up it was nothing but teenagers but now 9 out of 10 shoppers are in their 30's to 60's. Is this happening just locally or am I not the only one seeing this trend. It seems like the adults realize that they too can enjoy cheap $5 computer mice and $3 nail polish.

ynkeesfn82

They're going to be opening in The Plainville Commons in Plainville, CT.

ynkeesfn82

They're opening in Meriden, Connecticut in Town Line Square on Route 5 (South Broad Street). It's a larger store for them. It's located in the re-configured space that used to make up Linen's & Things and Old Navy.

I emailed them and asked if they were looking at opening in Waterbury or Bristol. They said possibly Waterbury, but definitely not Bristol. Too bad.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Hudsons81 on April 12, 2013, 08:46:47 PM
Anyway, Five Below is a Philadelphia-based discount chain targeted mostly to teenagers.

Yep.  After walking the store once it was clear they sure as heck did not design it for me.
I have a kid who loves it though.

MikeRa

The only Five Below I've been in is the location at The Gallery in Philadelphia, PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Stork of The Weak

Five Below replaced their original Wilmington DE store (which wasn't a Five Below for that long but was in a very old building where I don't know the original tenant/tenants) with a much bigger, much nicer store in a much nicer shopping center a number of blocks away. Unfortunately the old Five Below space is probably going to sit empty a long time and will start to rot.

MikeRa

Five Below's corporate offices are just blocks from the Gallery location in Philadelphia

DefunctStoreKing

Who oes To The Store Five Below? I Do, They Have Good Stuff
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage

buzz86us

I like their graphic tees, though I weish they'd have an in store pickup system because they never have my size..

ynkeesfn82

It's a nice store. Lots of neat things. Something new all the time.

MikeRa

Five Below has their corporate headquarters at 1818 Market Street, Suite 2000, Philadelphia, PA.

Five Below also opened their first 2-floor store at 1529 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pa on 9/10/2015 in the former Acadia Theatre building.

TheFugitive

I'm over 50, so I am not exactly their target customer.

My twenty-something daughters both love shopping there though.

DefunctStoreKing

Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage

giantsfan2016

Five Below just opened this past weekend in Norwalk, Connecticut. They're opening this Saturday in Waterbury. I believe they're taking part of the former Office Max in the Brass Mill Commons. They give their address as 245 Union Street and when I Googled that address it came up as Office Max. GGP's website still shows that space as vacant however.

MikeRa

Five Below's location in the Gallery closed either last year or eariler this year when everything except Burlington was closed in the old Gallery II section.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on June 22, 2017, 07:57:57 AM
Five Below's location in the Gallery closed either last year or eariler this year when everything except Burlington was closed in the old Gallery II section.
Five Below actually moved their Gallery store to inside the Lits (Lit Brothers Department Store) Building at 701-799 Market Street.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on April 18, 2018, 10:50:51 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on June 22, 2017, 07:57:57 AM
Five Below actually moved their Gallery store to inside the Lits (Lit Brothers Department Store) Building at 701-799 Market Street.
Five Below corporate headquarters is also inside the Lits Building as well.

TRU7536

So i emailed Five Below Real Estate about opening a store on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington as I am shocked they haven't opened one yet and they responded.

They are looking to add a store in Newington CT. Unfortunately the space by Stew Leonard’s (I offered them two spaces that are up for lease there at 8,666 square feet), but will not work out for them. The overall square footage (approx. 9,000) is what they look for however need a rectangular space.

Unfortunately, there is nothing available at 9,000 sf. The former Party City by Stop and Shop is over 11,000 and the former Basset is close to 18,000 feet.

The only space I can see, rumors that they could split the former Toys R Us building into multiple tenants.   

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 18, 2020, 06:45:36 PM
So i emailed Five Below Real Estate about opening a store on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington as I am shocked they haven't opened one yet and they responded.

They are looking to add a store in Newington CT. Unfortunately the space by Stew Leonard’s (I offered them two spaces that are up for lease there at 8,666 square feet), but will not work out for them. The overall square footage (approx. 9,000) is what they look for however need a rectangular space.

Unfortunately, there is nothing available at 9,000 sf. The former Party City by Stop and Shop is over 11,000 and the former Basset is close to 18,000 feet.

The only space I can see, rumors that they could split the former Toys R Us building into multiple tenants.   

That's what they should do. Connecticut Commons in Plainville has a similar concept where Five Below is located. There are also several other smaller retailers such as Ulta, Dollar Tree, Famous Footwear and AT&T in a building in the center of the property. Ulta might be a good fit for a portion of the former TRU (they currently have plans to open in a portion of the former Babies R Us in West Hartford so not sure if the turnpike is far enough away). Maybe there is room for one more small store. They wouldn't create too much more traffic than is there. Stews attracts a large crowd but there are still enough parking spaces to facilitate small retailers. To add to that, any store that opens in that building would benefit from having Stews there. I feel that Stews Wines should be moved to the former Mattress Firm because I doubt that space will be filled. They could use the current Wines space for a more spacious produce department. They could always use some more walking space in that store.

I would furthermore suggest that a TJX owned store like Marshalls or HomeGoods would be useful on the Turnpike.

Everything Community

The discount retailer will open later this year in the old Dress Barn space next to Staples! The closest Five Below from Vernon is located in Manchester at The Plaza at Buckland Hills. I believe the Manchester location may eventually be replaced if the vacant store is filled by Five Below. I think it is surprising considering it is really so close to Manchester. I doubt Five Below would have two locations close to each other within proximity.

This piece of news is courtesy of The Manchester Scoop

Brammy

They opened a couple of locations in Connecticut over the past few years. New locations include: Bristol Plaza next to Stop and Shop in the former Dress Barn.This location has self checkout. :-) Another new location in Connecticut is in Cromwell. It's in Cromwell Square next near the new ShopRite that opened in part of the former KMART and all of the former Expect Discounts.

I wwent to the one in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania two weeks ago. No self checkout at this location.
The Real Brammy

Everything Community

UPDATE: When I stopped by at the plaza last Thursday, they started work on revamping a portion of Tri-City Plaza in Vernon, CT nearby former Payless ShoeSource and next to current Staples. They're planning to open here as soon as early 2023.

Everything Community

Quote from: Everything Community on September 15, 2022, 06:39:44 PMUPDATE: When I stopped by at the plaza last Thursday, they started work on revamping a portion of Tri-City Plaza in Vernon, CT nearby former Payless ShoeSource and next to current Staples. They're planning to open here as soon as early 2023.

Five Below is now open at this property. That location has been open since early December of last year. I stopped in here once and what I can tell you is that while it has a really neat layout for the store overall such as decor and merchandise shelving, its atmospheric interior isn't too modern here. It's a smaller store by comparison in size of the building than the nearby Manchester location.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

TheFugitive

A family member just paid seven bucks for a bluetooth speaker there, so below five, not so much.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 09, 2023, 02:57:58 PMA family member just paid seven bucks for a bluetooth speaker there, so below five, not so much.

I think they were calling that section Five Beyond, where things were at higher price points.  Obviously, not changing the name of the store itself (much like the signs don't say Dollar and a Quarter Tree when they switched that) ;)