KMART PLAZA Waterbury, CT

Started by ynkeesfn82, February 18, 2013, 03:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

KMART Plaza in Waterbury, CT is owned by Monroe, CT based Tartaglia Commercial Properties. It is one sad plaza.

Tenants:

KMART
Joann Fabrics
Citi Financial
Modell's
Kid's Town Daycare
Nail Salon
Razor Edge Salon

Out Parcels:

TD Bank

Verizon Wireless

The plaza is seriously lacking maintenance. The parking area in front of KMART needs new lines painted. (Truth be told the whole parking lot needs to be repaved) One of the empty stores has a big hole in the floor. Part of the "ceiling" in the plaza is falling down.

Vacancies include a former Friendly's (which looks like someone was using it for an office sometime after Friendly's closed), a former tuxedo shop, a former print shop, and a former tanning salon. The daycare is taking up like 5 store fronts.

scottw73

I know Jo-Ann Fabrics was a Service Merchandise before, and If I'm not mistaken it was originally a Kmart Foods.

ynkeesfn82

Yes it was and in my opinion from the outside it still looks like part of KMART.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Marc B on February 18, 2013, 03:14:12 PM
KMART Plaza in Waterbury, CT is owned by Monroe, CT based Tartaglia Commercial Properties. It is one sad plaza.

Does anybody have any pictures of this plaza at all?

ynkeesfn82

Here are the pics from Tartaglia's Website.

http://www.tartagliacp.com/tartaglia-portfolio.html#WSC

Note these are older pics of the plaza. The site plan also still shows where VZW is as vacant.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Marc B on February 18, 2013, 10:34:20 PM
Here are the pics from Tartaglia's Website.

http://www.tartagliacp.com/tartaglia-portfolio.html#WSC

Note these are older pics of the plaza. The site plan also still shows where VZW is as vacant.
This plaza actually looks older than all three of the stand alone Big Kmart Stores that we have right here in the county of the state that I live in. Has the owner of the plaza ever thought to have some work done to the plaza like renovating or updating it? When it comes to the condition of the space that Kmart is leasing in your post under the, "Kmart" Topic, is it the owner of the plaza's job to do this or does Kmart have to go to the owner of the plaza to request this to be done?

ynkeesfn82

Good question. I don't have the answer.

ynkeesfn82

AAA just moved into the former Friendly's from a smaller plaza on the opposite side of Wolcott Street further up.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 18, 2013, 03:14:12 PM

Tenants:

KMART
Joann Fabrics
Citi Financial
Modell's
Kid's Town Daycare
Nail Salon
Razor Edge Salon

Out Parcels:

TD Bank

Verizon Wireless

The plaza is seriously lacking maintenance. The parking area in front of KMART needs new lines painted. (Truth be told the whole parking lot needs to be repaved) One of the empty stores has a big hole in the floor. Part of the "ceiling" in the plaza is falling down.

Vacancies include a former Friendly's (which looks like someone was using it for an office sometime after Friendly's closed), a former tuxedo shop, a former print shop, and a former tanning salon. The daycare is taking up like 5 store fronts.

Boy, I want my kids to go to a Shopping Center to learn!!! Waterbury needs to get some business!!!

ynkeesfn82

Went to KMART and Modell's today. They're doing some work in the plaza. They're building new support columns and putting in new sidewalks. A new dental office opened in the plaza as well. Looks like Kidstown is adding a 6th Store front. :-( Although the 6th one isn't connected to the others. Next thing they need to do is repave the parking lot and bulldoze KMART, which is still open.

ynkeesfn82

Bye-Bye Kmart. Kmart will be closing in Mid-November after 40 years.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on August 01, 2013, 01:01:40 PM

No way!! That sucks!

d_fife

Quote from: TRU7536 on August 01, 2013, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: Marc B on August 01, 2013, 01:01:40 PM

No way!! That sucks!

yes its closing and whats making it closes as they decided not to renew the lease. why didn't they renew it.

scottw73

Are any other tenants leases on the chopping block as well??

ynkeesfn82

My friend Walt thinks the KMART store should become a grocery store. I don't know which one could go there. Shoprite is in the plaza next door. Price Chopper already failed in Waterbury. (It is the Shoprite next door). Stop & Shop has a failing location in the Walmart Plaza across the street. Aldis and Save-A-Lot already have 2 locations each in the city. I don't see BIG Y opening in Waterbury.

As for other non-grocery stores - Waterbury has almost everything you can think of. Except for the fact that Joann's is right next door I would say Hobby Lobby would be a good fit for part of the KMART Space. Kohl's is on the other side of Waterbury. Walmart is across the street and will be moving to the other end of Waterbury sometime next year. BJs and Costco are already in Waterbury as is Target, and discounter stores Savers and Big Lots (they share the old Shoprite store further up Wolcott Street). Ocean State Job Lot is off of nearby Lakewood Road. Lowe's at one time wanted to come to Waterbury, but the KMART space is too small. Home Depot is already in Waterbury as is Petco, PetSmart, and Sports Athority. Bed Bath Beyond could be an option, but my belief is that if they wanted to come to Waterbury they would've taken over the old Linens and Things in the Walmart Plaza. Christmas Tree Shop could be an option too, but Wolcott Street is too far from the highway. Famous Footwear, Old Navy, and Encore Shoes are already at The Brass Mill Mall as is Buffalo Wild Wings (in the plaza next to to Brass Mill Mall). Toys R Us was previously on Wolcott Street (next plaza over) and move to the Brass Mill Plaza as did Barnes & Noble. There's already a closed movie theater in back of the Walmart Plaza (plus one in the Brass Mill Mall) so rule that out too although there would be better visibility. I supposed DSW Shoes could also take part of the space.

Waterbury has too many retail spaces and there are too few chains left to fill vacant space.

ynkeesfn82

Marshall's already failed in Waterbury. They were in the Mattatuck Plaza and is now home to Harbor freight and Norm's Gym. TJ MAXX is next door in Shoprite Plaza (a smaller location that used to be sister store AJ Wright). Chuck E Cheese is in Mattatuck Plaza. Dollar Tree has 2 locations. Family Dollar has multiple locations. Dollar General is already in town as well.

Another idea is that TJX can open a TJMAXX-Homegoods Hybrid store in part of the old KMART. They would of course have to close down their store in Shoprite Plaza.

ynkeesfn82

My friend Walt told me he heard a gym is going to take a portion of the former KMART. - How many gyms do you need on Wolcott Street. This will be the third in less than a 2 mile area. There's already Planet Fitness in a portion of the old Caldor on the corner of Lakewood Road and Wolcott Street and there's Norm's Gym which shares the former Marshall's in the Mattatuck Plaza with Harbor Freight Tools.

giantsfan2016

Chuck E. Cheese

Kmart closed and was replaced by a Porter and Chester Institute if I remember.
There was a new McDonald's that opened up toward the road, don't know what was there before.

scottw73

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on November 12, 2016, 08:04:42 PM
There was a new McDonald's that opened up toward the road, don't know what was there before.

Half of Kmart is an Ollies Bargain Outlet

giantsfan2016

They ripped down Verizon Wireless and built a McDonald's. :o

scottw73

Is the one on Lakewood Rd still open

giantsfan2016

Not according to the McD's website. I haven't been up there to see for sure. I only found out about this new McD's when I was looking something up on Google Maps. In September 2016 it was in the final stages of construction. The website has it listed.

scottw73

Have they found a tenant for the former American Steakhouse and Petco spaces next door??

giantsfan2016

The old TJ MAXX is still empty save for 3 months a year when it's Spirit Halloween. American Steak House is still empty. Petco is a relocated Goodwill Store.

scottw73

I don't know why OSJL on Lakewood Rd, doesn't move into the old TJ Maxx, their current location is way too small and difficult to get in and out of

giantsfan2016

Quote from: scottw73 on December 28, 2016, 12:52:30 PM
I don't know why OSJL on Lakewood Rd, doesn't move into the old TJ Maxx, their current location is way too small and difficult to get in and out of

They own that space on Lakewood Road. Anyway the old TJ MAXX is too small. The old Linen's and Things is plenty big, but I heard DDR doesn't want to lease space to any "junk" stores. And the old Caldor is plenty big too.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on November 12, 2016, 08:04:42 PM

You're right. A friend of mine who lives in Waterbury told me Porter & Chester took the other part of KMART. He also said I was wrong and Verizon is still there despite the new McDonald's.