Store count

Started by Zayre88, February 09, 2013, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

I did some research and tried to gather as much data as possible about the number of stores of major chains through the years.  

Walmart 3707 stores / Target 1782 stores / Kmart 1300 stores / Kohl's 1150 stores

Your thoughts?

jamesway_95

Impressive research. Not surprised by the results!

Pikapower

Wal-Mart is taking over the retail universe!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

zonemad96

I think kmart will keep going down walmart will stop going up and target and kohls rise slowly just what i think

ynkeesfn82

Question. The store count for Walmart. Does that include The Walmart Neighborhood Markets that just sell the groceries or is that just the number for the regular Walmarts and Walmart Supercenters?

Zayre88

Quote from: Marc B on February 09, 2013, 08:45:24 PM
Question. The store count for Walmart. Does that include The Walmart Neighborhood Markets that just sell the groceries or is that just the number for the regular Walmarts and Walmart Supercenters?

U.S. Walmart discount stores and Walmart Supercenters.

In the CNBC Target documentary, Becky Quick was saying that Target was #2 by a long shot, it's true! They have much less buying power yet a lot of their prices are comparable to Walmart prices.

Here's what I think:
- Walmart appears to be unstoppable, maybe it will be too much at one point.
- Target has room to grow.  Slow and steady over the years but slower since 2008..
- Kmart will downsize again...  Already 1,000 stores closed since 1993.
- Kohl's is on a roll, they will surpass Kmart soon.

shore72

Well done, and interesting. I really wonder how far WalMart can go; on the Delmarva peninsula they are getting very close to the situation where almost everybody is within 15, maybe 20 minutes from at least one store. There newest Supercenter locally is in a town with a population under 3,000.

Looking at how consistent that Kmart trendline is, that's an awful lot of mismanagement. I just don't see how that ever gets turned around.