2013 could be a very bad year for Waterbury, Connecticut

Started by ynkeesfn82, February 04, 2013, 07:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

2013 could end up being a very bad year for Waterbury, Connecticut. Sooner or later they're going to have to close that KMART on Wolcott Street. It's been going downhill for years.

Across the street at the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center they already have 2 big empty stores - a 20,000 square foot former Ragshop and a 35,000 square foot former Linen's and Things. Plus a vacant restaurant. Other vacancies include a former Better Bedding and Fashion Bug. There is a rumor (nothing confirmed) that the Stop & Shop in that plaza will be closing. It is not doing as well as the other 2 Stop & Shops in the city on Chase Avenue and Reidville Drive. That will make another 68,000+ square foot vacancy in that plaza. If Stop & Shop does close there will be a total of 123,386 Square feet vacant in a row. Plus the Stop & Shop gas station. Not to mention there is a Game Stop in that plaza as well as across the street in Shoprite Plaza. As mentioned in the other thread Game Stop is on the list of stores that will be closing down multiple locations. P

Then there is The Brass Mill Commons, the shopping plaza adjacent to The Brass Mill Mall. 2/3 of the former Shaw's Supermarket is still vacant. (38,381 square feet) Then also in the Plaza is Barnes & Noble and Office Max both of which are also on the list of stores that will be closing locations in 2013. They sit side by side. B&N is 22,000 square feet. Office Max is 29,188. If both close it will be 51,188 square feet continious vacant space.

All of this in addition to Waterbury losing 2 of 3 Friendly's in 2011 and 2012. Plus Blockbuster is still open on Lakewood Road. Who knows how long they will last.

Will that last business left in Waterbury please turn off the lights?

zonemad96

I don't live anywhere near Connecticut but it seems the "Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center" is already too far gone. My guess is it will eventually all clear out and the property will be sold to someone who is either interested in demolishing it and building a new shopping center or someone who will build townhouses or apartments on it.

The "Brass Mill Commons" seems not in too bad shape if they can just fill that empty space I think they would be doing just fine I honestly wouldn't be too worried about office max but barnes and noble id be worried about.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: zonemad96 on February 04, 2013, 07:44:02 PM
I don't live anywhere near Connecticut but it seems the "Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center" is already too far gone. My guess is it will eventually all clear out and the property will be sold to someone who is either interested in demolishing it and building a new shopping center or someone who will build townhouses or apartments on it.

Been there. Done that. The Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center was built on the site of the former Naugatuck Valley Mall. A mall that was struggling for years and eventually met its demise with The Brass Mill Mall was built. If Stop & Shop does close perhaps the Walmart in the plaza will become a super-center. There was talks that Walmart was going to build a Super-center elsewhere and Waterbury and then convert its existing store to Sam's Club. Maybe if Stop & Shop does close Sam's Club could take over those three empty stores. Plus the Stop & Shop gas station.

ynkeesfn82

Forgot to post this in case anyone wanted to see the lay-out of the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center.

http://ddr.com/property/assets/30389_SitePlan.pdf

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Are the Watertown and Waterbury Kmart Stores in Connecticut the same store and location? Or are they two different stores and locations?

AmesNewington

Quote from: IGA/Kmart Is Forever! on February 04, 2013, 09:27:03 PM
Are the Watertown and Waterbury Kmart Stores in Connecticut the same store and location? Or are they two different stores and locations?

They are two seperate Kmart locations.

ynkeesfn82

ynkeesfn82

Forgot to mention that The Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury has both JCP and Sears - both on the chains being on the closing list. If both chains close their Brass Mill Mall location I think GGP will need to shutter the mall. The mall has 4 anchors - JCP, Macy's, Sears, and Regal Cinemas.

AmesNewington

Marc, who said any or all of these chains are going to shut stores down in CT? Sears/Kmart did not close CT locations during the last round last year, so that could mean CT stores are doing better than most. I highly doubt every one of these chains will choose Waterbury to close. 

ynkeesfn82

Waterbury and Meriden seem to always get the short end of the stick due to the fact they are lower income communities and have high crime rates. Sooner or later KMART is going to have to close that store on Wolcott Street. They can't survive with more employees than customers and on lay-a-way.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 05, 2013, 08:59:22 PM
Waterbury and Meriden seem to always get the short end of the stick due to the fact they are lower income communities and have high crime rates. Sooner or later KMART is going to have to close that store on Wolcott Street. They can't survive with more employees than customers and on lay-a-way.

How bad is the Waterbury Kmart?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 05, 2013, 09:44:40 PM

In case you didn't see my post under the KMART/Sear closing thread.

I went to the Waterbury, CT KMART on Monday. What a sorry excuse for a store. A large section of the Men's department was roped off because the ceiling was leaking because of all the snow on the roof. In one section of the Men's Department there were about 8 or 10 plastic storage bins that they should've been selling collecting the water. And in another section there was several large garbage cans to collect the water.

The former Little Ceasar's is part of an extended stationary section and the rest is filled with toys. A door that leads to the kitchen area is flimsily held closed by a master lock.

Come to think of it the rest of KMART Plaza didn't look much better than KMART itself.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

[/quote]
You could maybe merge those posts from the Kmart/Sears closing thread with this topic since the posts underneath the Kmart/Sears closing thread is about this Kmart location in particular.

cdavid991

Every year that the City of Waterbury continues to exist is a bad year, ha ha ha! Ever since the central retail/entertainment focus of the city went from the Wolcott St./Lakewood Rd. area to the Brass Mill area the city has never really been the same. Nobody wants to shop in Waterbury nowadays for fear of being mugged or harassed by the drudges and lowlifes with the hats on sideways and a big, queer chain around their neck. When I went with my parents to the Naugatuck Valley Mall, there were NONE of those people hanging around, pushing coke etc. etc.

I wouldn't doubt it that those stores are going to close in Waterbury. It's a dieng city where everyone is on welfare and cannot afford anything but Wal-Mart and the Goodwill. That KMart is a complete dump which only compliments the horrible atmosphere of the city. Like MarcB said, it's disorganized and falling apart. Sad thing is that so far as Kmarts go, this one was originally very nice one and even boasted a Kmart Foods next door to it (where Joann is now).

ynkeesfn82

You think Wolcott Street is dying now? Wait until Walmart moves to East Main Street next year, unless the rumor of them converting the Wolcott Street store to Sam's Club is true.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on February 22, 2013, 10:53:37 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on February 05, 2013, 09:44:40 PM

I went to the Waterbury, CT KMART on Monday. What a sorry excuse for a store. A large section of the Men's department was roped off because the ceiling was leaking because of all the snow on the roof. In one section of the Men's Department there were about 8 or 10 plastic storage bins that they should've been selling collecting the water. And in another section there was several large garbage cans to collect the water.

The former Little Ceasar's is part of an extended stationary section and the rest is filled with toys. A door that leads to the kitchen area is flimsily held closed by a master lock.

Come to think of it the rest of KMART Plaza didn't look much better than KMART itself.

Who owns the plaza? Sears/KMart Holdings or someone else? If it someone else, the landlord should fix it...

ynkeesfn82

KMART Plaza in Waterbury is owned by Tartaglia Commercial Properties of Monroe, CT. See: http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3309.0

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Marc B on March 21, 2013, 07:56:30 AM
You think Wolcott Street is dying now? Wait until Walmart moves to East Main Street next year, unless the rumor of them converting the Wolcott Street store to Sam's Club is true.
If this rumor is true, what store would they convert to Sam's Club? Would it be the original Wal*Mart location after it shuts down when Wal*mart moves to East Main Street?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: d_fife on August 01, 2013, 08:56:26 AM
Kmart in Waterbury is CLOSING.

It was only a matter of time. But at least none of the other stores have closed their Waterbury locations as of yet.

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on August 01, 2013, 12:59:53 PM
Quote from: d_fife on August 01, 2013, 08:56:26 AM
Kmart in Waterbury is CLOSING.

It was only a matter of time. But at least none of the other stores have closed their Waterbury locations as of yet.

what was wrong w Waterbury??? but then Kmart seems to close older stores that are in out of the way places, ut why don't they open new Kmarts ie move with the market. OUST OUT EDDIE LAMBERT!