Main Menu

Movie theaters

Started by retailisking, January 28, 2013, 03:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Are movie theaters fair game for this forum? There are lots of developments going on in the business with many of them closing, changing hands, expanding etc. in the midst of the forced conversion to digital. What do you guys think?

Bdubs

Funny, I was just thinking about the last time I have seen a new theater pop up.  Its been ages. 

Im really not sure if its the economy, or the speed at how fast movies come to DVD, Netflix, or PayPerView. I, myself havent gone to a movie in over 4 years.  Pretty much because of all the reasons I listed.

ynkeesfn82

Growing up in Bristol, Connecticut we had the Loews 8 in Pine Plaza on Pine Street in the Forestville section of town. It was built in the early 80s and operated as a first run theater until Loews opened a bigger theater a couple miles away in the Plainville Commons. Still owned by Loews it became the Sony 8. When they opened the new theater in Plainville Loews briefly operated this theater as a discount theater. Later they sold it and it had a couple unsuccessful runs as a second-run discount theater. After the theater closed for the final time the landlord gutted the building and divided the space up. It's now Gymnastics Unlimited, Subway, a Nail Salon, a vacant spot that housed an ice cream shop for less than a year, a nutritional store, and Jump N' Jammin' -  an indoor bounce house.

Loews in Plainville is still open, but of course it is now AMC since Loews and AMC merged back in 2005. Signage on the sign in front of the plaza and the building still say "Loews". I like this theater it's really nice.

In Southington, Connecticut we have Rave Motion Pictures. It was Showcase Cinemas until 2009. During their last few years Showcase was operating this theater as a Twlight Theater only showing movies at night. Now as Rave they have resumed showing movies during the day. I went there once. It wasn't bad, but it's much smaller than the AMC and it's an older theater.

Waterbury has 2 movie theaters. Regal Cinemas (formerly Hoyts) on the 3rd Floor of The Brass Mill Mall. They show all first-run movies. I have never been there. Also in Waterbury is Creative Cinemas 10. It is located in Mallview Plaza behind The Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. It shows a mix of new and old movies. It opened in 2012 after being closed for a while after Holiday Cinemas closed. Haven't been there either.

http://www.cinematour.com/ - is a great resource to see movie theaters past and present.

zonemad96

Annoying people, dirty seats and floors, 7 dollar popcorn and 5 dollar drinks, 10 dollars per person when the dvds only cost 20. I went to see mama last week with my gf and after that i dont think ill be going to the movies anytime soon.

ynkeesfn82

The soon-to-be new owners of Rave Cinemas is Southington, CT are being quiet about the theater's future.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/southington/article_7ab9f1c8-e457-11e2-928a-001a4bcf887a.html

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on January 30, 2013, 10:18:59 AM
Waterbury has 2 movie theaters. Regal Cinemas (formerly Hoyts) on the 3rd Floor of The Brass Mill Mall. They show all first-run movies. I have never been there. Also in Waterbury is Creative Cinemas 10. It is located in Mallview Plaza behind The Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. It shows a mix of new and old movies. It opened in 2012 after being closed for a while after Holiday Cinemas closed. Haven't been there either.
http://www.cinematour.com/ - is a great resource to see movie theaters past and present.

Creative Cinemas 10 in Waterbury closed shortly after I posted about them. They didn't even make one year of being open. Not enough support. Expenses were too high. Rent alone was more than $20,000/month. Plus it would've been a sizable cost for them to upgrade to new digital projectors. They offered the landlord a lot less for rent plus a percentage of sales and they declined. So now the landlord is getting nothing.

ynkeesfn82

Cinemark took over all Rave locations except for Berlin, CT. Berlin, CT was sold to Starplex Cinemas.

ynkeesfn82

zonemad96

Quote from: Marc B on November 18, 2013, 02:13:26 PM
The owner of Holiday Cinemas in Wallingford, Connecticut is looking to open a Drive-in Theater.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/wallingford/wallingfordnews/2901384-129/wallingford-theater-owner-hopes-to-open-a-drive-in.html

It's nice to hear about a new drive-in theater that is trying to open but I don't think it will. When you look at around how much money it takes to open a drive in and compare it to the amount of profit it will make per year it's not worth it. I remember years ago hearing rumors of one coming near me and a message basically saying it's official they WILL be building a drive-in, seven years later and still no drive-in. Though to be fair I think part of the reason that never happened was the locals would have went out with their pitchforks in their overalls and would start a riot. No one and I mean no one wanted the one to open up near me with people saying things like "I wish I could outlaw drive-ins" and someone saying they were worried about "worried about vandalism to nearby homes and to their equipment."

Oh and when I say no one I mean none of the people who go to the town meetings so I really mean no one 50+

ynkeesfn82

Will this hurt movie theaters? Lawmakers in Connecticut are proposing a bill that would regulate how loud movie theaters can be. They're proposing it be no louder than 85 decibels. Why do I get the feeling if Connecticut passes this bill that other states will follow suit?

http://wtnh.com/2014/03/04/bill-regulate-sound-levels-movies/

And not to turn this political because politics don't belong here I want to say Connecticut lawmakers have much more important things they should be worrying about than this nonsense.

TheFugitive

We recently lost our Maxi Saver location.  Ten screens where you could go and watch second-run
movies for a buck!  Was a very popular night out in that blue collar area of town.

The stated reason for the theater's closing was Hollywood's deadline for digital conversion.
At a buck apiece, just no way to move enough cash to repay the capital costs of the equipment.

Way to go, Hollywood!
Just take your critical business partners for a hundred years, turn around
and stab them in the back.

zonemad96

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 04, 2014, 11:43:42 AM
We recently lost our Maxi Saver location.  Ten screens where you could go and watch second-run
movies for a buck!  Was a very popular night out in that blue collar area of town.

The stated reason for the theater's closing was Hollywood's deadline for digital conversion.
At a buck apiece, just no way to move enough cash to repay the capital costs of the equipment.

Way to go, Hollywood!
Just take your critical business partners for a hundred years, turn around
and stab them in the back.

Digital is quicker, cheaper, easier to use, and better looking then film. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in order to move forward and advance. I never understood the point of budget movie theaters who would want to pay money to watch a movie in a rundown nasty theater that you can rent for $1? You can get a 40 inch flat screen for $300 or a 50 for $500 and rent a movie for the same price or cheaper than what it would cost to go to the theater. Personally if I'm going to take the time to go to the movies it's going to be to see a new movie in a decent theater otherwise theirs no point.

TheFugitive

I don't disagree with you that digital is technically superior.
However, it is kind of lousy for the film industry to put long-time partners out of
business with the stroke of a pen.

Digital conversions are expensive.  The industry should have worked with theater
owners to make the transition over a longer period of time.

Obviously there is still demand for people to go and see second-run movies, as the
place was still doing a steady business.

Even if it was only to keep the price of a date night ticket down so as to have more to spend
at the bar over at Chili's afterwards.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 05, 2014, 02:08:13 PM
I don't disagree with you that digital is technically superior.
However, it is kind of lousy for the film industry to put long-time partners out of
business with the stroke of a pen.

Digital conversions are expensive.  The industry should have worked with theater
owners to make the transition over a longer period of time.

Obviously there is still demand for people to go and see second-run movies, as the
place was still doing a steady business.

Even if it was only to keep the price of a date night ticket down so as to have more to spend
at the bar over at Chili's afterwards.

I agree with you about the cost of digital conversion. See my post above about one of the reason Creative Cinemas in Waterbury, Connecticut closed down. Besides the fact they weren't making enough to pay the rent, but the cost of digital conversion was cost prohibitive as well. And Creative showed a mix of current and older films.

BillyGr

Quote from: zonemad96 on March 04, 2014, 09:39:08 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on March 04, 2014, 11:43:42 AM

Way to go, Hollywood!
Just take your critical business partners for a hundred years, turn around and stab them in the back.

Digital is quicker, cheaper, easier to use, and better looking then film. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in order to move forward and advance. I never understood the point of budget movie theaters who would want to pay money to watch a movie in a rundown nasty theater that you can rent for $1? You can get a 40 inch flat screen for $300 or a 50 for $500 and rent a movie for the same price or cheaper than what it would cost to go to the theater. Personally if I'm going to take the time to go to the movies it's going to be to see a new movie in a decent theater otherwise theirs no point.

Not sure how it is now, but a number of years back when we had a theater that showed bargain movies, they were movies that had been out for a while, but not yet available on video, so that was a good reason to go there - get a better price then when they were first released, but still see them sooner than waiting for the video.

TheFugitive

We have a cool old theater near my home which has been acquired and renovated by a
non-profit group.  They are using it to host classic film revivals.  They are facing the same
problem....come up with a huge amount of money by some set future date, or be forced
to shut down.

ynkeesfn82

I don't know what they did, but according to ads on the radio and in the newspapers Cinemark has upgraded their theater by the Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester, CT. Showcase Cinemas opened this theater. I forget what year. Then Showcase upgraded the theater to Cinema Du Lux. Then Rave Motion Pictures bought this theater (and many other Showcase locations). From what I understand they did away with a lot of the special amenities that Showcase Cinemas did as Cinema Du Lux. Last year Cinemark bought most Rave locations including this one.

ynkeesfn82

Starplex Cinemas has purchased Rave Cineplex (operated by Cinemark) in Southington, Connecticut. They are planning some upgrades.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/southington/southingtonnews/4456451-129/southington-12-theaters-sells-to-starplex.html

ynkeesfn82

ynkeesfn82

Just days after announcing it was selling its theater in Southington, Connecticut to Starplex Cinemas, Cinemark announced it's building a brand new state of the art theater behind their existing location in North Haven, Connecticut. They hope to open during the summer of 2015 and the existing location will be torn down when the new theater opens.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/latestnews/4492823-129/cinemark-planning-major-makeover-of-north-haven-movie-theater.html

ynkeesfn82

Apple Cinemas owner of one cinema in Cambridge, Mass opened in the former Creative Cinemas in The Mall View Plaza behind Walmart Plaza in Waterbury, CT. Let's see how long they stay open this time.

http://www.applecinemas.com/

MikeRa

We had here in Pa a theatre that was renovated and re-opened on June 13 as a Dine In Theatre.  This would be the AMC Painter's Crossing 9 Dine-In Theatre, in West Chester, PA.  This theatre was built as a 1950's "Flat Roof" Acme Markets that relocated in 1989.  AMC renovated the Acme location into a 9-plex in the late 1980's-early 1990's, and recently into a dine In Theatre, with the "Fork & screen" and "Cinema Suites" auditorium, and MacGuffin's Bar, which replaced the concession stand.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Hudsons81

Do any of you remember Star Theaters?

They were a chain of a total of eleven theaters that operated across southern Michigan. It was founded by Jim Loeks (son of Jack Loeks, who operated North America's first 20-screen theater, the Studio 28 in Grand Rapids, MI) in the 1980's and opened it's first location in 1985 in Rochester Hills, MI. The chain was later sold to Loews Theaters in 2002 and as a result is now owned by AMC.

They were one of the classiest establishments I've ever seen, but I've heard that since AMC acquired them the quality has gone drastically downhill.

Metro Detroit itself is one of the most competitive movie theater markets in existence-most of it seems to be dominated by local chains Emagine and MJR, but the national chain scene here seems to be dominated by AMC.

Here's a list of the former Star Theaters (all were located in Michigan):

• Star Winchester, Rochester Hills (opened 1985, closed 1999, torn down for strip mall)
  • Star Lincoln Park 8, Lincoln Park (opened 1988, closed 2003, vacant)
  • Star Holland 8, Holland (opened 1989)
  • Star John R. 15, Madison Heights (opened 1989)
  • Star Rochester Hills 10, Rochester Hills (opened 1989, closed and reopened as Emagine Rochester Hills 2010)
  • Star Taylor 10, Taylor (opened 1989, closed 2009, reopened as Spotlight Taylor 10 2010, re-closed 2012, will reopen by Christmas 2014 as MJR Taylor Grand Digital Cinema 10)
  • Star Gratiot 21, Clinton Township (opened 1990)
  • Star Grand Rapids 18, Grand Rapids (opened 1991)
  • Star Southfield 20, Southfield (opened 1997)
  • Star Great Lakes Crossing 25, Auburn Hills (opened 1998)
  • Star Fairlane 21, Dearborn (opened 1999)

TheFugitive

There was a Star Theater in Bridgeville, PA just south of Pittsburgh.
You can still see the building off to your right as you drive south in I-79.
It has been empty for several years.  A really poor choice of location as
it is far removed from the main shopping corridor on PA Route 50.

Another theater in a converted Pace Warehouse building behind the
Bridgeville K-Mart is still hanging in there.

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 03, 2014, 07:41:06 AM

Are you sure that was a Star? I only know of two former chains that used the Star name-the Michigan locations and an unrelated chain in Wisconsin and Iowa that was later acquired by Kerosotes Theaters and is now under AMC ownership as well.

TheFugitive

Yep.  Name on the sign was Star Theaters.  Which parent company actually owned them
I don't know.

Like I said, lousy location.  On the wrong side of the interstate at least a mile from the
main shopping traffic.  Nearest business is a crappy cheap motel where they once caught
one of America's Most Wanted.

Hudsons81

Speaking of Star Theaters...here's a photo I took nearly a year ago of the mall entrance of the Great Lakes Crossing Outlets facility. This location is Michigan's second-largest cinema, behind the AMC Forum 30 in nearby Sterling Heights, which opened in late 1999. Like all former Star Theaters still owned by AMC, this one retains all Star signage. It also features an IMAX screen that was retrofitted into an existing auditorium by AMC in the late 2000's.

MikeRa

Quote from: Hudsons81 on September 03, 2014, 08:59:27 AM
Quote from: TheFugitive on September 03, 2014, 07:41:06 AM

Are you sure that was a Star? I only know of two former chains that used the Star name-the Michigan locations and an unrelated chain in Wisconsin and Iowa that was later acquired by Kerosotes Theaters and is now under AMC ownership as well.
That theatre may just use the name "Star" name for the actual theatre name.  There is an old theatre that has long since been closed inPhiladelphia that was called "Star Theatre".  Today it is part of a community center.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

TheFugitive

The photo that was posted sure looks like the old sign on the Star Theater
in Bridgeville.

retailisking

The Massachusetts-based Flagship Cinemas chain has been both expanding and contracting in recent months. They opened a new multiplex in Palmyra, PA even as they closed their seven-screener in Oxford, ME and reduced operations at their Lewiston, ME location while they assess the wisdom of converting the location to digital.