Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTAmeshopper

There once was a Howard Johnson in Mystic where The Equinox Diner is, it was still a Howard Johnson's all the way through the 90's and in the 2000's it changed to a Friendly's (I think) then briefly a Bickfords. 

Zayre88

Does sombody knows the meaning of what is on the front page of the Orangeroof website ?

http://www.highwayhost.org/Orangeroof/index.htm

From what I see at Hojoland, the Lake Placid location is for sale and might close:

http://hojoland.homestead.com/

buzz86us

I know of 2 former hojos in the local area. One is in Albany just on the way to the airport which is now a gas station but you can tell because it still has the roof. Another is in Queensbury but has been boarded up for as long as I can remember.

Pikapower

A lot of highway service stations/plazas were at one point HoJos! before other restaurants (IE Roy Rogers, McDonald's, Burger King, etc.) took HoJo's place in the 1980s.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

BillyGr

retailisking

I hear the Bangor, ME HoJo's is closing soon, too, which makes Lake George the last remaining Howard Johnson's Restaurant - and Lake George is apparently operating independently of a formal Howard Johnson franchise. I imagine Wyndham will eventually make them sign a franchise agreement or issue a C&D to force them to give up the HoJo brand.

TheFugitive

That makes the current score Isaly's 2, Howard Johnson's 1

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 26, 2015, 08:34:42 AM
That makes the current score Isaly's 2, Howard Johnson's 1

Which 2?  There is a bunch of info, but nothing that shows which ones are actually still there.

TheFugitive

Web searching shows one in Washington, Pennsylvania and one in the northern
suburbs of Pittsburgh.

In their heyday you'd come across one about every two miles here.

Hudsons81

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 26, 2015, 01:52:44 PM
Web searching shows one in Washington, Pennsylvania and one in the northern
suburbs of Pittsburgh.

In their heyday you'd come across one about every two miles here.

So I've heard (not being in that area, but we did see the display at the museum in Pittsburgh several years ago, and the book that details the history as well). 
Sounds like they could have done better if they had adopted the convenience store model (we have the Stewart's chain here in NY, which also comes from a dairy background, and still makes it's own ice cream and dairy products sold through over 300 of it's own stores.  No deli, though (although they do have some sandwiches available).

retailisking

Cumberland Farms started as a dairy, too, though they got out of that business decades ago.

retailisking

JimSawhill

HoJofan206: Re: North Stonington,CT. That HoJo was the last HoJo built. It is a shrine.

ynkeesfn82

This was Howard Johnson's in Southington, CT. It opened in 1965. Later it was Bickford's, Gold Roc Diner2, Agavae Mexican Grill, and now TD Homer's Sports Bar. The Motel in the back was Howard Johnson's and Later Travel Lodge, Traveler's Inn, Red Carpet Inn, and as of 2009ish after a multi-million dollar renovation project The Days Inn.

Photo Credit: Vision Government Solutions.

BillyGr

The vacant former Howard Johnson's restaurant in East Greenbush, NY (Routes 9&20, later a Weathervane location for many years and then briefly a local Fisherman's Cove restaurant) has been demolished, according to a photo in today's Times Union newspaper.

The building is believed to have been built in the late 1930's (there is also a photo in front of the partially demolished building of a 92 year old woman who grew up just across the street when it was built and held a wedding reception there in 1946!).

It closed as Howard Johnsons sometime (at least I think) in the 1980's - there was a second newer location built (around 1978-79 from what I can find) on Route 4 near I-90 that closed around 1995. 
Many references seem to think that one replaced the other, however I remember being in this older location when it was still HoJo (though a later version with a larger menu than most HoJo and a salad bar, but still the things one things of as standard HoJo items) and based on being born in 1976 it would have had to be later than the suggested opening of the 2nd location.

It had then been a Weathervane for quite some time as well, plus the short local incarnation but was closed for close to a decade and beginning to deteriorate (if you see the TU photos that roof on the right is not due to demolition, just many years of lack of upkeep).

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-business/article/Weathervane-restaurant-demolished-in-East-7957166.php

buzz86us

Quote from: BillyGr on March 04, 2006, 01:04:52 AM
This HoJo's sits off of NYS Thruway Exit 23 on Route 9W.

It has been vacant for several years, after having a combination of several things over the previous 5-10 years (a bagel place, pizza place, bar, and more, often 2 or 3 things at a time).

This one closed at the same time the East Greenbush (by I-90) and Latham (by the Northway) did - apparently all owned by one franchisee.  The second photo shows the sign (noww covered by the hotel next door which WAS a HoJo also - has had about 3 different names in the last few years).  While the frame (and open 24 Hrs) are original, the sign under the cover is not, the plates having been replaced with a plate divided into sections (with lines) to accommodate the several things using the restaurant building at one time.

Part of the hotel also sits vacant (they refurbished the closer building(s), but not the farthest one).
I literally just drove by that today everything is closed up... did you notice the gas station on the corner of wolf road in Albany as you turn into the airport kinda looks like it could have been a howard johnson

Chuck E. Cheese

I've been to 2 former ones, Friendly's in Milford and another Diner in Stamford. Haven't been to an 'official' HJ's.

BillyGr

Quote from: buzz86us on July 02, 2016, 09:42:05 PM

It has been vacant for several years, after having a combination of several things over the previous 5-10 years (a bagel place, pizza place, bar, and more, often 2 or 3 things at a time).

This one closed at the same time the East Greenbush (by I-90) and Latham (by the Northway) did - apparently all owned by one franchisee.  The second photo shows the sign (noww covered by the hotel next door which WAS a HoJo also - has had about 3 different names in the last few years).  While the frame (and open 24 Hrs) are original, the sign under the cover is not, the plates having been replaced with a plate divided into sections (with lines) to accommodate the several things using the restaurant building at one time.

Part of the hotel also sits vacant (they refurbished the closer building(s), but not the farthest one).
I literally just drove by that today everything is closed up... did you notice the gas station on the corner of wolf road in Albany as you turn into the airport kinda looks like it could have been a howard johnson

Yeah, that hotel at Exit 23 closed a couple years back (after the restaurant building had been empty for some time).  They also, prior to closing demolished a couple of the further out buildings, leaving just the ones closest to the office area.

As to Wolf Road, I don't know of there being one there, but it could have been.  The couple that come to mind in the area are Central (just below Everett - later Ground Round now part of DePaula Chevrolet), Western (Stuyvesant Plaza in the corner, demolished & rebuilt when Creo opened there) and Latham (Rt 7 just off the SPUI, a hotel & restaurant both and still a hotel & restaurant but not HoJo connected).

retailisking

It's official - the Bangor, Maine HoJo will serve its last diners September 6
http://bangordailynews.com/2016/08/24/news/bangor/restaurant-lounge-at-bangor-howard-johnson-to-close/

buzz86us

Quote from: BillyGr on July 03, 2016, 03:04:49 PM

Yeah, that hotel at Exit 23 closed a couple years back (after the restaurant building had been empty for some time).  They also, prior to closing demolished a couple of the further out buildings, leaving just the ones closest to the office area.

As to Wolf Road, I don't know of there being one there, but it could have been.  The couple that come to mind in the area are Central (just below Everett - later Ground Round now part of DePaula Chevrolet), Western (Stuyvesant Plaza in the corner, demolished & rebuilt when Creo opened there) and Latham (Rt 7 just off the SPUI, a hotel & restaurant both and still a hotel & restaurant but not HoJo connected).

i'll take a pic of it next time I am in the area.. it looks like it could have been one with the design of the architecture.. would have made sense to have one there since it'd be a welcome sight to travelers just off the plane

retailisking

Kevin Coupe paid a visit to the last standing HoJo's; it wasn't pretty...
http://www.morningnewsbeat.com/News/Detail/50461/2016-10-06/

busman_49

retailisking

Quote from: busman_49 on January 25, 2017, 01:16:47 PM
The site of the last Howard Johnson's restaurant is up for sale
According to this story it's just been relisted with a new broker; the site has been on the block for 15 years. The restaurant is open limited days/hours in the winter but remains in operation and there are no plans to close.
http://poststar.com/news/local/howard-johnson-s-alive-and-well-says-operator/article_5691be0e-de88-5084-a6d2-061f7f02f52e.html

busman_49

Quote from: retailisking on January 25, 2017, 11:19:52 PM
According to this story it's just been relisted with a new broker; the site has been on the block for 15 years. The restaurant is open limited days/hours in the winter but remains in operation and there are no plans to close.
http://poststar.com/news/local/howard-johnson-s-alive-and-well-says-operator/article_5691be0e-de88-5084-a6d2-061f7f02f52e.html

Thank you for sharing that!

retailisking

Quote from: busman_49 on January 26, 2017, 06:46:35 AM
Thank you for sharing that!

You're welcome. Whenever I read a story from a newspaper 3,000 miles away from its origin I try to find a local angle - sometimes I hit pay dirt, as in this case.

Bdubs

Quote from: retailisking on January 25, 2017, 11:19:52 PM

I'd switch real estate companies as well if they couldn't sell my property in 15 years!

BillyGr

Quote from: Bdubs on January 27, 2017, 09:02:14 PM
I'd switch real estate companies as well if they couldn't sell my property in 15 years!

I'd guess it's one of those things - they list it at a high price, hoping someone will be willing to pay that much. 
If no one show up to buy, they just lease the existing building to someone and still make a decent amount while waiting.

buzz86us

Quote from: BillyGr on July 03, 2016, 03:04:49 PM

I'd buy that HoJo if i had the money seems like a waste if it gets demolished I think it could be useful to rent out for events just seems a shame that such a beautiful building sits abandoned..