Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

It is so sad to see the Howard Johnson's restaurant chain be phased out the way it is.  Of the few remaining restaurants left, which one do you all think will be the LAST one operating as a Howard Johnson's Restaurant.  Also, Is FAI "offically" out of business now?  Or will be when Springfield closes in May.

amesman

Well, my name is Jack Thomas. The list of locations I have pics of so far are on the other Howard Johnson's thread. I look foward to seeing your pics. Rich is indeed a very nice guy.

As for the status of FAI, it is uncertain. The only one that they corely own, is Springfield, VT, and that's closing on May 15th. The others are owned by FAI franchisees. Springfield is the only one that still serves all of the original food.

HoJofan206

Has/had anyone ever eaten at one of the fast food Hojo's.  I never seen/visited one while they were open.  I assume they did not last long as none remain open today.  Anyone ever visit a Bumbleshoot's or one of the Hojo Deli Maker stores while they were open.  Seems like the company was trying just about anything in the late 1970's and early 1980's.  :(

HoJofan206

What was your favorite Howard Johnson's food?  ;)

amesman

Well, I've only ever had the Macaroni and Cheese, Toastees, and, the Buttercrunch sundae. It's all good to me..heh.

HoJofan206

I miss the 28 flavors of ice cream!

SomeBeach

Cactus Bob here, I've submitted a buttload of Michigan stuff for orangeroof.org. I've eaten at Bay City's HoJo's (only about an hour away) several times, including my 17th and 18th birthdays.

HoJofan206

Cactus Bob:

Does the Bay City HoJo still do a decent amount of business?
Is that location slated to close anytime soon.  If not serving original style HoJo fare, what types of food does the location have?

SomeBeach

Bay City still gets good business. They look like they'll be staying open for a long time.

I met Rich there once when he was doing the Hojopalooza... and when I ate there on my 18th birthday, the cashier recognized me and asked me about Rich!

HoJofan206

I hope the Bay City location stays open.  It is now the closest location to me since the one in Kirkwood MO closed on Oct 22, 2003.  You say you went on your 18th bday?  May I ask how old you are now.  Meaning, was that recently?

HoJofan206

Sadly, the last "original" and FAI owned Howard Johnson's restaurant will be closing forever on May 15th, 2005

HoJofan206

Also announced, the Time Square HoJo will be closing after 50 years of business.  The chain will be down to just 7 restaurants in the next month or so.

amesman

Also, I don't know if you've heard this, but the weathervane and fiberglass SSPM logo was ripped off of the Springfield Vermont location..

HoJofan206

Yeah, the greedy ownder of the Holiday Inn Express (that owns the land the restaurant is on) pulled both the weathervane and the SS and P sign from the front.  Probably gonna sell them on ebay or something like that.  Some people will do anything for money.  :flaming::mad::flaming::mad:

HoJofan206

Just a few more days for the last authentic HoJo restaurant in the country.  If you want original fare ONE LAST time you must visit Springfield before May 15th :mad:

amesman

I went to Springfield yesterday, and the fiberglass logo is back on the building(but crooked). The weathervane was found, but givin to George Carter(one of the original franchisees, and the head of FAI), and the fiberglass logo will be givin to him after the restaurant closes. Me and my friend Brian, tried to buy a menu, but they refused to give it to us. The food was awesome! I had the hot dog, mac and cheese, and four of the clam strips(I only ate four, because I started having an allergic reaction to the clams(something you don't want to have in a place as rural as Springfield..heh), but I stopped eating them, and continued on with the mac and cheese, and the hot dog, and I was fine a little while later). Then, I had one scoop of Chocolate Chip ice cream, and a scoop of Peppermint Stick ice cream. I took about 100+ pictures, and a video. So, all is good in that department. The Simple Simon and the Pieman sketch in the restaurant is now gone as well. This is the last OWNED Howard Johnson's. All the others are not owned by any company whatsoever, and have to fend for themselves. I urge anyone who is reading this to trek to Springfield, Vermont, to go to this one last piece of original Americana.

Caldor1999

hear a Ho jos in NJ i dont know if its still there im going to NJ at the end of may so i'll find out then
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

that's the Asbury Park, New Jersey location. It is still there, but its status as a Hojo's has been questionable for some time now. The owner only opens it up when there are concerts there, and I'd be VERY surprised if any orignal food was served. Also, the owner has stripped all the origianl furniture and fixtures out of the restaurant for years.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
that's the Asbury Park, New Jersey location. It is still there, but its status as a Hojo's has been questionable for some time now. The owner only opens it up when there are concerts there, and I'd be VERY surprised if any orignal food was served. Also, the owner has stripped all the origianl furniture and fixtures out of the restaurant for years.

im going there at the end of may if i see anything or any old ho jo stuff i';ll take em lol
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HoJofan206

Unfortunately, the Ashbury Park HoJo does not serve authenic HoJo fair, and yes, the building has had most of the HoJo atmosphere removed.  Kinda sad, because a few short years ago, this little place in time was a true find on the deserted boardwalk.  :no:

C. Fontaine

Zayre88

Here's the article from the Kennebec Journal, including two pics:

http://business.mainetoday.com/news/050516hojo.shtml

:no:

HoJofan206

The Bangor Maine restaurant and motor lodge (still a hojo in 2005) have had their orange tiles romoved.  That is a sad story in itself.  :no:

HoJofan206

Can someone take and post some pics of the Springfield Vermont location before it gets torn down?  :no:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

I have some bad news I've overheard a conversation between some students about a trip to New York City.

When they went to eat they tried Howard Johnsons in Times Square, however when they got there they complained it was disgusting with rats/mice in the restuarant along with I believe bugs in their food!:barf:

So they decided to go to Mcdonalds instead which they said was much more cleaner!:mad:

I knew you would hate this,but I still wonder why Howard Johnsons can't keep their restaurants clean!:question:

amesman

I went to Times Square, and while there were no rats that I saw, the food was not authentic Howard Johnson's food. And, I have heard about the romoval of Bangor's orange roof. It makes me sick.

Also, I have tons of pictures, plus a video of Springfield, Vermont. When I finally get around to it, I will post some pics.

HoJofan206

I read where the Waterbuy CT Hojo Restaurant was hit by a car last week.  How much more damage cn be done to this poor company?  :huh:

amesman

As far as I know, only the front glass doors were smashed. The metal SSPM logo is ok, as far as I know, as well as everything else..

amesman

This was an ill fated Hojo concept started in the 70's by Howard B. Johnson. It only lasted a few years. The only location I know of, was in Framingham, Mass. Talk about them here.

amesman

The fast food version of Howard Johnson's. Started by Howard B Johnson, right after his father( Hojo's founder Howard D. Johnson) passed the reigns of the company to him. The majority of HJJ locations were in Ohio. Talk about them here.