Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesman

So, within the past 7 months, 4 have closed, possibly 5.

BillyGr

Here's a current shot of the East Greenbush location - this had been a Weathervane for quite a while, then that closed abruptly a couple years back - reopened as a local place for a short time but is now empty:

gshowman18

\i have a funny feeling that u wont be posting hear any more heh:P and yea it may be the 2000's but this decaed sucks lol theres no need to bash a wonderful restrunt cahin were jsu rememebring it and who nos whay will happen:)

o and maby anouther chain will buy it and save it maby  friendleys lo forgt that one too hmmm just dont bouther us again k but any who what do u guys this of Fendleys buying Howard Johnson's if they did that do u think that would be a good idea they can run them too [/quote]

I have a question for you.  Have you ever been to a Howard Johnson's restaurant?  Listen, I'm just tellin' it like it is.  First, Friendly's???  HA!!!  Yeah right.  This is the same restaurant that decided to lay off a South Jersey man who had Down Syndrome & then thanks to the public decided to hire him back.  Second, if Friendly's does buy it, they aren't going to save it.  Third, Howard Johnson's restaurants are dead.  What part of "Howard Johnson's restaurants are dead" have you not gotten already?  It can't be saved.  The rest will close by the end of decade.  End of story.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by gshowman18
\i have a funny feeling that u wont be posting hear any more heh:P and yea it may be the 2000's but this decaed sucks lol theres no need to bash a wonderful restrunt cahin were jsu rememebring it and who nos whay will happen:)

o and maby anouther chain will buy it and save it maby  friendleys lo forgt that one too hmmm just dont bouther us again k but any who what do u guys this of Fendleys buying Howard Johnson's if they did that do u think that would be a good idea they can run them too

I have a question for you.  Have you ever been to a Howard Johnson's restaurant?  Listen, I'm just tellin' it like it is.  First, Friendly's???  HA!!!  Yeah right.  This is the same restaurant that decided to lay off a South Jersey man who had Down Syndrome & then thanks to the public decided to hire him back.  Second, if Friendly's does buy it, they aren't going to save it.  Third, Howard Johnson's restaurants are dead.  What part of "Howard Johnson's restaurants are dead" have you not gotten already?  It can't be saved.  The rest will close by the end of decade.  End of story. [/quote]

i was just saying that maby frindlesy should buy it thats all
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HoJofan206

Does anyone else have any former HoJo restaurant pics they can post?

HoJofan206

We actually lost 3 HoJo's in one week in the month of May.  We will Loose NYC in June. :(

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Does anyone else have any former HoJo restaurant pics they can post?

there was one in tarrytown NY but its now a diner i'll go see it sometime
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Well gshowman18 I do agree

It's hard to imagine Friendly's buying HoJo's lol

Freindly's is about ice cream

HoJo's is about, well I don't know (never been in one)

Two completely different restaurants

Besides even if Friendly's buys HoJo's they'll problably convert them all to Friendly's since Friendly's has closed so many locations!

i know it was just a random thought kinda  stupied though lol:yup:
Caldor Forever!

amesman

Hojo's was about the food, and the ice cream, the start of the greatest hospitality chain ever, and the feeling of being at home, even if you are miles away.

HoJofan206

Has anyone seen the new Howard Johnson Express Inn comercials?  They say "From 28 flavors to over 500 locations".
I assume they are talking about the HoJo history on this one?
Has anyone else seen this comercial?:huh:

store215

Has anyone seen the new Howard Johnson Express Inn comercials?  They say "From 28 flavors to over 500 locations".

Yeah, I have seen it. At least they are going back and showing how things used to be.

Caldor1999

yep ive seen it
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

Here's a shot of a Howard Johnson's in the "Blues Brothers" movie

HoJofan206

Toby McGuire and Michael Douglas at dinner at a Howard Johnson's restaurant in a movie a few years back.  I think the movie was called, "Wild Boys" or something like that.  I think the restaurant was a real HoJo at the time it was taped. :D

Caldor1999

hears whas left or a hojos hotel and restrunt
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears a pic from far away i snaped this in kida a hurry my anut got maryed at a howard johnson's back in 1991
Caldor Forever!

will

We used to have a Howard Johnson stand alone restaurant here, but it was demolished to make way for a new Eckerds.

Also I have seen a Howard Johnson near here with a restaurant.

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

That is the Stratford, Connecticut location. I believe its off of I-95.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

That is the Stratford, Connecticut location. I believe its off of I-95.

yep it is there is anouther one off 95 too in ct i cant remembr were though
Caldor Forever!

amesman

it's probably in ethier Hartford or Bridgeport. Also, all of the Connecticut Turnpike(I-95) service areas were once Howard Johnson's as well.

amesman

Also, guys, if you want any authentic food, go to Lake George, New York(they have the original ice cream), and Lake Placid, New York(they have authentic Mac and Cheese, Clam Strips, and hot dogs). I'm going in two weeks. I'll be getting plenty of pics as well :)

Caldor1999

i believe i found a former Ho Jo this is now a restrunt called red rouster lol but it has the howard johnsons look to it and theres a hotel right next to it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

i use to go hear all the time as a kid
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and hear teh hotel right next to it its called Bel air lol or something like that
Caldor Forever!

amesman

Nope, that was never a Howard Johnson's. And, that was never a design used by Hojo's ethier. Howard Johnson's did use A Frame architecture, but, it was nver used like that. That looks more like a Hornes or an old Dairy Queen.

LazarusFan

Man my parents were thinking about eating at a Howard Johnson restaurant for breakfast in July 2001 in Bangor, Maine while coming home on vacation.  It was before they did the renovation and stuff.  I should have spoken up because now, its one of the last.  Maybe Bob Evans or Friendly's can buy the recipes and stuff.

The shot from the Blues Brothers scene must be from a service station on one of the toll roads.  I've noticed a gas station sign way in the background.

HoJofan206

The web sight www.autoage.org has some great updated pics/info on the locations in the state of Indiana and Illinois.
Check them out!  Its a great sight!  :roll:

HoJofan206

"Wonder Boys" was the movie with Mike Douglas where he and Toby ate dinner at a real Howard Johnson's restaurant.
Unfortunately, the restaurant has since been demolished.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Nope, that was never a Howard Johnson's. And, that was never a design used by Hojo's ethier. Howard Johnson's did use A Frame architecture, but, it was nver used like that. That looks more like a Hornes or an old Dairy Queen.

i kida though it was causse the bulding kida looks like the dizen and i though they might have changed it a bit i also nodiced teh hotel next to it so i though it might have been one

but thanks for the info:):yup:
Caldor Forever!

xtsubarublazin

Jack (amesman), concerning your pictures, they're great!