Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

Does anyone know what has become of the Saginaw Michigan former Howard Johnson's restaurant that shut down overnight back in May of 2005?  Is it still vacant?  :huh:

StuckeysFanatic

I just was in the middle of watching Season 4 of Cheers and I came across this episode that included part of an outside Howard Johnson's shot. The episode was Cliffie's Big Score. It's in the scene where he leaves the hotel to go into his car. Unfortunately, no inside shots were taken.

zn3t

Is HoJo's gone? Just wondering because I havent seen any new posts about the fate of Howard Johnsons.

HoJofan206

Hojo's isnt quite gone.  Meaning, there are still 3 original locations left in the entire USA.  There is no "company" which means all three pretty much operate on their own.  

News was release some time back that a new company called the LaMancha group had purchased the rights to the name of the Howard Johnson's company in reference to the restaurants.  We are all waiting to see if and when the ice cream rolls out sometime this year.  We are hoping the new company makes a solid go of it and rumor has it that they will start opening new eateries sometime in 2008.

For more accurate information check out Hojoland.com and or Autoage.net  Both are excellent sights with lots of Howard Johnson's information.  :roll:

HoJofan206

At one time over 1000 Simple Simon and the Pie Man's were spread out from Maine to Florida.  Sadly, this is no longer true.  :no:

HoJofan206

One of THE original Howard Johnson's

HoJofan206

Here is a picture of one of the signature "trademarks" of some of the Howard Johnson restaurants.  Its was often referred to as the "decorative concrete walls".  They were not used on ALL of the nims style restaurants, but you can find the application on may throughout the country.  This one was found by Phil Edwards while in Phoeniz Arizone back in 2004.  Image from OrangeRoof.org

HoJofan206

This is a picture of the former Bloomington Indiana Howard Johnson's restaurant.  The unit began as a stand alone and later received a Howard Johnson's Travelodge a few years later.  Today the location serves as a Mexican eatery.  I stopped by in August of 2003.

HoJofan206

St. Matthews/Louisville KY former restaurant.  Now being used as an Outback Steakhouse.  Picture taken in 2003.

Zayre88

Orange tiles uncovered at the former Hojo restaurant (Bickford's) in Portsmouth NH !

HoJofan206

Thanks for that "upclose" shot of this former Hojo's Zare88.  I had often seen pics of it from a distance, but never up close.  It cleary was built in the 1970's "cost cutting" Mansard design incorporating the HoJo's "environmental" theme as you can see the painted over wood panels on the front of the building.  Very unique building in the Hojo's family.  Glad you posted it!  :duh:

Zayre88

FearlessSwan

This law office in Largo, FL kind of resembles a Howard Johnson's, but I think it's way too small to have been one.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Also, here's a link to pics of Wildwood, NJ. http://orangeroof.org/NewJersey/Restaurants/Wildwood/wildwood1.html

is that one still there>?

No, the Wildwood location has been closed for a long time. I believe it has been demolished as well.

That sucks. I have a beach house in Wildwood. It would rock if the town still had an original HoJo's.

jmcnamara96

Yeserady i was wathing Law and Order SVU and they had a man stay at a HOJOS

HoJofan206

Here is a picture of a former HoJo's eatery in the state of Michigan that found life after the location shut down years ago.

HoJofan206

Not sure how we ended up with two Howard Johnson restaurant page posts so here is the Michigan restaurant pic again...lol

videogamer75

Hey, welcome back, HoJoFan206!!! :)

HoJofan206

Thank you videogamer 75!!  I am so glad to be back!!

HoJofan206

Here is a photo of the FIA "arch" that was supposed to help bring in a new era of teens to Howard Johnson's back in the early 1990's.  Unfortunately, it did not work.  Today, only 3 Howard Johnson restaurants remain.  :hurt:

HoJofan206

OOPS, make that FAI....     :insane:

HoJofan206

This Mansard style Howard Johnson's has seen better days.

HoJofan206

This is a shot of a former roadside Howard Johnson's roadside sign.  Can you name the signature "characters" shown in neon?

scottw73

they are Simple Simon & The PieMan.

HoJofan206

scottw73

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
This is a shot of a former roadside Howard Johnson's roadside sign.  Can you name the signature "characters" shown in neon?

George Bush and Dan Quayle?
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

HoJofan206

This is the former Nashville TN west Howard Johnson's restaurant.  I took this picture on Jan 1, 2008.  :(