Howard Johnson's Restaurants

Started by amesman, January 08, 2005, 02:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

The 1970's usage of the former restaurant icon signage.

HoJofan206

Here a picture of the ONE noteable attempt made by FAI to re-build the Howard Johnson's restaurant name.  It was located in Canton Mass and half of the roof was painted grey.
The attempt was very short lived. :no:

HoJofan206

Does anyone know if the Key Largo Mansard is still operating under the Howard Johnson's name?  I know it was no longer an "officical" Howard Johnson's restaurant, but via agreement with FAI it was allowed to continue to use the name even though the menu served no authentic dishes? :huh:

amesman

Make sure you credit the photos you are putting on here, as the majority of them are from www.orangeroof.org and the site's other contributors.

Marc82

Rachael Ray (now host of 30 mins Meals on FOOD TV and her own daily talk show) used to work at HOJO's. Any other famous people work at HOJO's before they became famous?

HoJofan206

I make sure I give credit to Rich and to the other sites from time to time.  I just dont post it to every single picture I borrow.  Both Hojoland.com and Orangeroof.org are great sites full of HoJo's info and pictures.  :-)  I like to post quality pics with information about each picture.  I think it makes viewing the posts on here that much more enjoyable.  Hope everyone agrees.  You can scroll up about 5 or 6 pictures from this post to see where I give credit to both of those wonderful sights!

HoJofan206

Classic Tyco picture of an HO Scale Howard Johnson's restaurant.

HoJofan206

A classic Howard Johnson's restaurant paper cup.  When was the last time you saw Simple Simon and the Pieman? :huh:

HoJofan206

Former Louisville KY Howard Johnson's restaurant turned into an Outback Steakhouse.  Picture taken in January of 2003 by me.

HoJofan206

Opposite view of the Louisville Ky former Hojo's.  Pic taken by Phil Edwards in 2003.

HoJofan206

Side view of the former Henderson KY location.

HoJofan206

Former Henderson KY Hojo's turned mexican eatery.  Picture taken by me in January of 2003.

HoJofan206

Authentic Simple Simon and the Pieman weathervain from Kirkwood Missouri.  The LAST Howard Johnon's to be open in the state of Missouri.  I beleive this location closed in late 2002.  :no:  Picture taken from Rich Kummerlowes excellent site.

HoJofan206

Here is a post card of the unique Ashbury Park Howard Johnson's restaurant.  To my knowledge, it is completely closed now.  :no:

HoJofan206

Here is one of the last "stand alone" retaurant units that the company built.  It was in Amsterdam New York and was only open for a few years--beginning in 1979.

HoJofan206

It was the last type of building the Hojo corporation used called the Mansard design.  These buildings were not very attractive if you ask me. :no:

HoJofan206

To my knowledge, this location saw life as a Burger King for a bit after its years as a Hojo.  Today, it sits a deteriorating thruway ruin.....  :(

HoJofan206

For an extended view of great pics of the former Hojo's in New York state visit Rich Kummerlowe's tribute to Howard Johnson's.  He had done a great job with it!

HoJofan206

One of the saddest things about this Hojo thread is the fact that none of us have any actual "news" to share.  Just pictures from the past to post.  I hope that we do have some good news about the company name sometime in the near future! :question:

HoJofan206

Old Howard Johnson's restaurant matchbook

HoJofan206

The FAI version of the Howard Johnson's roadside sign.

HoJofan206

Here is an older view of one of the 3 remaining Howard Johnson's restaurants in the country today.  This one is in Lake George NY.

HoJofan206

You have to look closely, because if you do you will recognize the roof of this nims style Hojo's underneath the Plato's restaurant disguise. :duh:

HoJofan206

Not sure (because of the timeframe) if this was originally a Hojo's or one of the many copy cat type restaurants from that era.

HoJofan206

You can paint over the tiles, but the ORANGE will live forever!

HoJofan206

Does anyone else think this Mexican restaurant in Atlanta looks like a former Nims style Howard Johnson's?  I really dont know.  :huh:

HoJofan206

A second view of the restaurant.  It looks like this could have been the dairy counter area of the former Hojo's.  Does anyone else agree?

HoJofan206

I believe this Hojo's was located on the NY turnpike.

HoJofan206

This is the FAI Howard Johnson's sign when it was on the Millington location.  Image from www.hojoland.com

HoJofan206

Former Times Square loctions.  Closed in or around 2005