Citizen's Bank

Started by ynkeesfn82, January 21, 2013, 01:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Citizen's Bank has closed its branch at Price Chopper #204 in Bristol, Connecticut as of Friday January 18th. Are supermarket branches closing? A sign said visit branches in West Hartford and I think Manchester. Does this mean they closed at the Southington and Newington Price Choppers too? And Shoprite in Waterbury?

retailisking

Citizens is closing a downtown branch in Wilkes-Barre, PA as well. RBS is under pressure from the British Government to sell Citizens; the Brits bailed them out during the credit crisis and own a majority stake. Closing underperforming locations could be a precursor to a sale.
http://citizensvoice.com/news/citizens-bank-leaving-historic-w-b-location-1.1432166

AmesNewington

Newington PC doesn't have Citizens Bank. They have Nutmeg State Credit Union. Newington had a Citizen's Bank on Fenn Road in Stop and Shop plaza, but it closed last year.

BillyGr

Probably no connection, but First Niagara bank is closing its location at the Price Chopper in Hudson (Greenport) NY. 

They have an additional branch about a mile away so it is probably just a consolidation on the bank's part.

However, this Price Chopper has had slower sales since the Walmart that was next door moved up the road to become a supercenter, so that may have something to do with it as well.

TRU7536

Didn't Shaws do this years ago and close the banks they had in their stores.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 23, 2013, 11:19:32 PM
Didn't Shaws do this years ago and close the banks they had in their stores.

I know Bristol, CT did. The Soveriegn Bank closed a few years before the Shaw's did. The bank moved down the road into a former dine-in Pizza Hut that was vacant for a long time.

Bdubs

Middletown, CT Chopper was not even built with a bank inside.  It's not that old, perhaps they have been wanting to phase them out for some time now?

ynkeesfn82

Went to Price Chopper #203 in Southington this morning. Yup Citizen's Bank is gone from there too. The sign by the road is flipped backwards. Inside they have a plastic tarp over where the bank used to be. It looks like they're doing work in there. Not sure what though. Glad this one closed. One of the manager's there was a real jack-hole.

store215

Supermarket branches were a "fad" that is slowly fading away. They recently closed a PNCBank at a local ShopRite here. (Which was odd, as this branch opened in 1998 when the store was a Super G, and was completely moved and remodeled in 2011 when ShopRite reopened under new ownership). It's now becoming some sort of clinic for a local hospital.  PNC closed/consolidated some other locations around me too. Two Giant (former Genuardi's) stores near me had banks, but they closed in the late 2000's. Both stores now don't really use the space for anything and it looks odd.

Acme and older Giant stores still seem to promote that they have Citizens branches in (some of their) stores and they are open 7 days.

ynkeesfn82

The one at Shoprite in Waterbury, CT closed too. A sign says the nearest locations are in Hamden and North Haven.

retailisking

Quote from: MBZ321 on February 17, 2013, 10:27:59 PM
Supermarket branches were a "fad" that is slowly fading away.

Not just supermarket branches, but branches of every physical stripe. Online banking is where it's at. About the only physical branches I see opening these days are of banks looking to establish a marketing presence in a new market.

TRU7536

Quote from: retailisking on February 18, 2013, 04:02:55 PM

Not just supermarket branches, but branches of every physical stripe. Online banking is where it's at. About the only physical branches I see opening these days are of banks looking to establish a marketing presence in a new market.

Banks are the thing of the past like the postal service. I do everything online and haven't been to a bank in ages. The only people I do see going to banks are the older generations. However u do see many more credit unions opening up bc people are sick of the big banks.

However as a business major, banks popping up are a good sign for the economy. When banks close isn't a good sign for that market.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 18, 2013, 07:01:20 PM

Banks are the thing of the past like the postal service. I do everything online and haven't been to a bank in ages. The only people I do see going to banks are the older generations. However u do see many more credit unions opening up bc people are sick of the big banks.

However as a business major, banks popping up are a good sign for the economy. When banks close isn't a good sign for that market.

Well then Newington must be a "good market". We have had Liberty Bank open in the last year, Farmington Bank has popped up in Elmwood and now Newington, and Chase Bank is coming to the Berlin Turnpike. So not all banks are a thing of the past.

d_fife

they charge fees in your accounts.

JimSawhill

That is true... PNC bank is opening up branches in Tampa (mostly because of the new Wawas they are building, PNC ATM machines in them).

EddieJ1984

I would say the Citizens Bank close to me closed a couple months ago, but theres others close by too.
Also there is quit a few in supermarkets nearby me on Northeast Philadelphia, also near work too.
Like in the Acme at Harbison Ave, Pathmark on Cottman Ave (Used to be superfresh), a shop rite on the roosevelt blvd, a Giant in Southampton.

Hudsons81

Citizen's Bank here goes under the name Charter One, although next year they will be rebranding as Citizen's Bank due to a completely unrelated Citizen's Bank (that one based out of Flint, Michigan) being acquired by First Merit Bank last year, thus removing any duplication and confusion.

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on November 27, 2014, 09:09:44 PM
I would say the Citizens Bank close to me closed a couple months ago, but theres others close by too.
Also there is quit a few in supermarkets nearby me on Northeast Philadelphia, also near work too.
Like in the Acme at Harbison Ave, Pathmark on Cottman Ave (Used to be superfresh), a shop rite on the roosevelt blvd, a Giant in Southampton.
I live near the Citizens Bank (located in Acme Sav-on) on Bristol Road in Bensalem, Street and Hulmeville Raod branch in Bensalem, and the Franklin Mills branch in Philadelphia
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JimSawhill

In Florida, there's no banks in supermarkets. At least in the Tampa Bay area...

ynkeesfn82

Having an account with this bank was the biggest mistake I ever made. Not to mention their stupid rules. I opened an account there when I worked at Price Chopper. Price Chopper DID NOT offer their employees direct deposit. I wanted to cash my paycheck there one payday and they said in order for me to cash my paycheck I had to have at least the amount of the paycheck in my checking account! Not only is that stupid, but they would also charge you a fee to use another bank's ATM just to check your balance. Ridiculous.

MikeRa

I never had any problems with Citizens Bank, or with Mellon PSFS, which Citizens acquired the retail branches back in 2001

Hudsons81

Quote from: Hudsons81 on November 28, 2014, 02:01:23 PM
Citizen's Bank here goes under the name Charter One, although next year they will be rebranding as Citizen's Bank due to a completely unrelated Citizen's Bank (that one based out of Flint, Michigan) being acquired by First Merit Bank last year, thus removing any duplication and confusion.

It's official...Charter One is now Citizen's Bank. Noticed that at the branch at the Trafford Square Shopping Center in Trenton, Michigan on Friday.

HannafordHearts

There was a Citizens Bank inside the Walmart in Utica, NY, but it closed last year. Walmart gutted it and it's now being used as sale space.

TheFugitive

Citizens Bank being fined by the government and forced to issue customer refunds
for improper handling of deposits.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/state-regional/citizens-bank-returning-14m-customers-fined-205m/nnJXK/

Bdubs

Members of the Colchester, CT branch have received notice that the Citizens Bank location will close as of December 2019.

retailisking

The Berlin, NH branch is closing in November.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: Hudsons81 on November 28, 2014, 02:01:23 PM
Citzens Bank also went by the name Citizens Republic Bank in Michigan. One thing I miss about that bank is their "red ball" logo. That's one thing I wish FirstMerit would've kept in the transition...

MikeRa

The Citizens Bank at the NW Corner if 15th and Market Streets, Philadelphia, PA opened in the 1950's as Philadelphia Saving Fund Society (PSFS) when Penn Center was built to replace PRR's Broad Street Station and Chinese Wall.  Later became Mellon PSFS.