Photograph of Miami, Florida Ames (former Zayre) in 1990

Started by TRJ_22487, January 17, 2013, 06:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRJ_22487

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D761lai44w

This was not the only Ames in Miami, this video shows another former Zayre/Ames in another location in Miami back in 1998.
This location surely closed in 1991 or so, but you can still see the Ames labelscar at 0:54

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on January 17, 2013, 06:45:21 PM
This is now a Home Depot

Did Home Depot open their store in this exact former Ames/Zayre location or did Home Depot have this former Ames/Zayre building demolished before building a new store?

TRJ_22487

I think they are still the same buildings with heavily renovated storefronts, windows removed, doors moved, etc...
Reading online reviews this is considered a very small Home Depot and does not have a garden section.

Here is the sign

Here is the supermarket next door that seems to have kept the vintage windows

Crusin around on Google Maps I found an old school McDonalds and standalone Taco Bell right at the mouth of the plaza.

TRJ_22487

TRJ_22487

Here is the Ames in Hialeah, Florida which also closed in 1990. You can see in this photo that they used metal carts and had bags with logos at the bottom

January 11, 1990|By EARL DANIELS, Business Writer

Ames Department Stores Inc. is dismissing 85 employees at its corporate offices and changing the names of 61 Zayre stores to Ames, including 15 in South Florida.

"There are 15 Zayre stores in South Florida: six in Miami; two in North Miami Beach; two in Fort Lauderdale; and one each in Lauderhill, Pompano Beach, Hallandale, Hialeah and Homestead. There are no Zayre stores in Palm Beach County."

Here is the address to this former Ames current day

TRJ_22487

TRJ_22487

I still can't believe these locations were never put in the store locator after I posted these. The locations aren't even listed at all. These were very short lived Ames!

TheFugitive

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on January 31, 2015, 09:25:14 AM
I still can't believe these locations were never put in the store locator after I posted these. The locations aren't even listed at all. These were very short lived Ames!

Yup.  I got sent to Florida in the fall of 1989 to help convert a Zayre to an Ames.
Barely a year later they were all shutting down.

Glad I did not take the offer of a transfer.