Main Menu

well its been 10 years now :(

Started by patk, August 13, 2012, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patk

:( we lost ames 10 years ago today at 9am edt its been that long! if u get any pics put them here :(

Zayre88

QuoteFor Immediate Release

AMES DEPARTMENT STORES TO LIQUIDATE AND CLOSE
Management Acts to Preserve Values for Creditors

“Going Out of Business” Sales to Begin

Rocky Hill, CT - August 14, 2002 - Ames Department Stores, Inc. announced today that the discount retail chain will liquidate and close all of its 327 store locations, and that management and the Board of Directors have determined that asset values can best be maximized for the benefit of all creditors by terminating operating losses and winding down the business.

"This was a wrenching decision, but the right course to take. Continued softness in sales, combined with tightening terms and slower shipments from our suppliers, have reduced our funds availability below critical levels," said Ames chairman and CEO Joseph R. Ettore. "To ensure the greatest possible value for our various stakeholders - including our associates - Ames management has resolved to pursue an orderly liquidation of the company now, rather than continue along a path that would further diminish our resources and lead Ames to default on its lending agreements."

Subject to the approval of the Bankruptcy Court, the company expects to promptly designate a liquidator to conduct "Going Out of Business" sales at all Ames store locations. Stores are expected to remain open for approximately ten weeks during this process

TRJ_22487

Either way, it's been that long since I debated whether or not to buy that $32 pleather Stone Cold Steve Austin 3:16 vest with the smoking skull on the back at the West Lebanon, NH location? Damn I can barely believe it! (btw, my father talked me out of the purchase)

But in general, wasn't the clothing at Ames just the best by 2002? LOL, very stylish. I can remember what the last thing I ever bought at Ames was, and I do remember the day itself. I'm from Keene, and we didn't have an Ames anywhere in the vicinity, but the entire town was still littered with signs for the GOB of the Ames chain, and to visit the North Walpole location, which is nearly 20 miles away. This was the Ames I went to most anyway throughout my life because it was on the route that my parents swapped me off to each other every Friday and Sunday for custody. I would often go to the North Walpole location if I was with my Mom, or the Springfield, VT or Lebanon, NH locations if I was with my Dad. The last time in the North Walpole location, I remember it being very dead. It wasn't the final day of business, but pretty close to it. The electronics section was so small and outdated at that point, full of cassettes and early ps1 games, VHS from the mid 90's, none of it was of interest to me. Usually the clothing sections held nothing that interested me, but the very last thing I ever bought at Ames........a tye dye shirt....which was not my style at the time at all, and never has been, but for some reason that's what I bought. Remember wearing it a time or two, but it soon vanished. I also remember how outdated the toys section was. Again, it was 2002 and you could easily still find action figures from 1996/1997. It was as if the store just got lost in time the final few years...

Zayre88

My last visit at Ames was in September 2002.  I was traveling in New Hampshire for the Nascar weekend and we stopped at several Ames stores during the trip.

First stop at the Derby VT store.  It still has plenty of stuff and mark downs were not that impressive.  We went by the St.Johnsbury location without stopping.  Plymouth NH store was more empty than Derby.  We then stopped at the Belmont store, this one was also almost empty, the feeling was depressing in this one.

On our way home, we stopped at the Saco ME store.  That's where I puchased a frying pan.  We made a final stop at the Waterville ME store and it was the last time I was inside an open Ames department store.

jmcnamara96

I remeber going to the Lowell MA store durring the GOB sale with my mother and grandmother we always went to Ames when we visited and i was younger so ididnt get anything nut my mother bought a beach umbrella and a AC/DC cd and tht was the last time i was in a Ames other then getting into vacant ones :P

vwnut13

I remember going to Ames (St. Johnsbury VT) with my grandma and looking for a new toy car to buy.  The one I wanted, of course, was the little blue truck that was loose on the bottom shelf.  It had a price sticker on the bottom, and that was the one.

This was in or before 1997 (Ames was till on Hospital Hill, it moved to the Richs spot in the mall when they went out)  I would have been four at the time.  Easily the earliest thing that I can truly remember.

To this day I still have that little truck, and it still has the price sticker on the bottom.

I was 9 when Ames closed.  I remember going to many different locations, from Derby VT, Woodsville NH, to White River NH, to Burlington Vermont.

jerseygearhead

Growing up, I didn't know Ames existed in my homestate of NJ. The only one I used to go to was near my great grandparents in Clearfield, PA off US 322. I remember every trip I made out there we would stop at either Ames, or the K-Mart across the street, and then finally Wally World. In a place with a lot of nothing, those shopping trips were a big deal. The last time I remember seeing it open was in 2001 or early 2002. When my family went out there sometime in 2004, it was nice to see the place still looking the same (although it was closed.) I went out there in 2011, and they completely ripped the building down and built some outlet store in it's place. The K-Mart across the street closed around the same time from what I heard. That's still standing in a half-dead shopping mall with a no-name local grocery store.

After my great grandmother passed away in early 2011, we were bringing her things back home to NJ with us. When we were going through the boxes, a lot of the items still had the original Ames price tag and/or the original receipt taped to the box.

It's nice to share that with people here...I wish it were still open today =/

Zayre88

The last Ames store that I have visited: September 16, 2002.

d_fife

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 19, 2012, 08:10:23 PM
The last Ames store that I have visited: September 16, 2002.

wow today is 10 years????????????

standa

Nice photo.  Where was that store located?

Zayre88

Quote from: standa on October 20, 2012, 08:26:15 AM
Nice photo.  Where was that store located?

Waterville, Maine. Store # 2129