BJ'S Wholesale Club

Started by store215, May 16, 2005, 04:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

bj's in monroe ny (near harriman and central valley) and the store is on the right of home depot.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
bj's in monroe ny (near harriman and central valley) and the store is on the right of home depot.

sign in monroe

d_fife

here is the bj's in waterbury CT on Reidville dr near the stop and shop

d_fife

bj's in west hartford ct near home depot.

d_fife

bj's under construction; as of august 4, 2006; in wallingford ct down the road from home depot and north of the super wal-mart,

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
bj's in tilton nh

d_fife

in victor ny near the mall in old caldor

dmx10101

Bj's was started by Zayre's and owned by them but it was later spun off into a separate company. They also started the TJX company.

"Zayre was founded by brothers Max and Morris Feldberg, who immigrated to the United States from outside of Kiev, Russia in the early 1900's. Their first chain of stores was the Bell Shoppes, which sold woman's apparel. Max had a keen business acumen, and Morris was a natural merchandiser together they built a retail dynasty. Zayre started in Hyannis, Massachusetts in 1956 as a discount department store It was initially focused on the Northeast but soon expanded to other areas. During the early 1970s the company started the TJ Maxx chain. In 1984 it started the BJ's Wholesale Club chain. In 1985, Zayre acquired California based Home Club. After the sale of the Zayre chain to Ames, the company changed its name to TJX Companies, which is still in business today.

Zayre developed an image problem because it was seen as offering low class and low quality merchandise. Also the stores began to look seriously outdated. In 1975 Zayre started a program entitled "Zayre 75" to remodel and update the stores from the existing old looking Pink and Blue color scheme to a new updated Orange and Brown theme. The first store to be remodeled was in Waltham, Massachusetts. In October 1988 the Zayre stores were sold to Ames. This doubled the size of the Ames chain, but caused many problems for Ames, and brought about a large loss for that chain. Eventually Ames would close 74 stores, and converted the rest into Ames stores. As a result, some of the remaining Zayre stores operated under the Ames name until Ames ceased operations in 2002." -wikipedia.com
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

retailisking

As we all know, BJ's has agreed to be bought by a coalition of private equity firms and upon consummation of the deal its stock will no longer be listed.  An interesting wrinkle has emerged courtesy of the Boston Globe; it appears that there was another bid for the chain for considerably more than the "winning" bid led by Leonard Green and Associates.  The higher bid was apparently rejected due to antitrust concerns.  Kevin Coupe made a wild guess and said it might have been Walmart (I assume it would be to expand Sam's Club into more markets and improve its penetration in others) but what if it was Costco?  I'm sure a lot of us would be excited by this prospect, particularly in Northern New England where it has only one store in New Hampshire, one in Vermont and none at all in Maine.
http://morningnewsbeat.com/News/News_Article_Detail_S.las?A=37057&Date=2011-07-26

ynkeesfn82

I didn't even realize there was a topic for BJ's Wholesale on this site. One opened in Southington, CT off of Route 10 on Spring Street in November 2010.

HannafordHearts

I love BJ's and shop there regularly. They have good prices on organic groceries. :)
I used to go to BJ's as a kid too. I remember my dad sometimes getting me a fresh hot pretzel from the cafe... good times :)

Here is a BJ's in Utica, NY:

retailisking

BJ's has been trying to build in Rutland, VT for the past year. They've run into the typical Act 250 delays and obstruction from the owner of the failing Diamond Run Mall including an attempted shakedown. They haven't given up on the project, yet.

retailisking

buzz86us

cool maybe i'll finally get a Costco

Bdubs

There used to be a Pizza Hut Express in the BJs in Waterford CT. It has now become yet another Dunkin Donuts. Not sure when it switched over, up until last month it was the first time I had step foot in there for a couple years.

retailisking

We haven't had concessions inside our BJ's in years.

JJBers

Here is my local BJ's in the Willimantic Plaza:

BJ's (Willimantic, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Here's the aging sign:

Willimantic Plaza by JJBers, on Flickr
Now onto Waterford, CT. Apparently this has a Liquor Shop:

BJ's (Waterford, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Sign:

Cross Roads Centre (Waterford, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Not only is there a label scar of Namco, the Bob's was formerly a Ames.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Bdubs

Quote from: JJBers on October 30, 2017, 05:17:22 PM

Here's the aging sign:

Now onto Waterford, CT. Apparently this has a Liquor Shop:

BJ's (Waterford, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Sign:

Cross Roads Centre (Waterford, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Not only is there a label scar of Namco, the Bob's was formerly a Ames.

Perhaps this is a coincidence, but Bob’s and what was Namco used to be an old warehouse retailer like BJ’s, called The Wholesale Depot. I’m not sure when they closed, but I’d venture to guess 15-18 years ago. Bernie’s Electronics was in the corner unit up until their bankruptcy. Bob’s moved in soon after Wholesale Depot closed.
Ames was where Lowe’s is now. That part of the plaza, including a couple small units were demolished to make way for the Lowe’s.

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on October 30, 2017, 05:17:22 PM

Here's the aging sign:

Just wanted to mention that the BJ's was where JCPenney used to be in Willimantic before they moved into the East Brook Mall in 1995.
Quote from: Bdubs on November 20, 2017, 08:09:14 PM
Perhaps this is a coincidence, but Bob’s and what was Namco used to be an old warehouse retailer like BJ’s, called The Wholesale Depot. I’m not sure when they closed, but I’d venture to guess 15-18 years ago. Bernie’s Electronics was in the corner unit up until their bankruptcy. Bob’s moved in soon after Wholesale Depot closed.
Ames was where Lowe’s is now. That part of the plaza, including a couple small units were demolished to make way for the Lowe’s.
Interesting...
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

MikeinBuffalo

Abandoned BJ's in Tonawanda, N.Y.

Not sure when it was abandoned, but they have started to use it for a haunted house called 'Frightworld' around Halloween time.

Across the plaza was once an Ames, which became a Gander Mountain, which also went out of business.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

MikeinBuffalo

Update: the abandoned Tonawanda BJ's has been bought by an auto parts store.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

giantsfan2016

My BJ's in Southington, CT (which is the one I work at) removed their snack bar. (Not sure when). They also opened a liquor store. I think that opened in 2018.

giantsfan2016

My BJ's - club 203 in Southington, Connecticut is building a new extended Optical Center and will offer in-club eye exams. It will be located where the snack bar used to be.

Jennifer_dances

Anyone else exclusively get their tires at BJ's? They beat out pretty much everyone else in price and service. At least in Willimantic.

And my Sunfire rides like a dream  ;D

Retail Regents

Who has a store that got new carts? The East Syracuse location has these new Precision Wire units in which the seating area is raised and only the flaps, light gate, and wheels are the only moving parts.

Bdubs

Quote from: Retail Regents on August 30, 2019, 05:29:57 PM
Who has a store that got new carts? The East Syracuse location has these new Precision Wire units in which the seating area is raised and only the flaps, light gate, and wheels are the only moving parts.
The BJs in Waterford CT got these carts a couple weeks ago.