Hobby Lobby

Started by retailisking, May 24, 2012, 11:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

jmcnamara96

Hobby Lobby has been in Manchester NH for over a year now in what was the Burlington Coat Factory (before that was a K-MART) off S.Willow Street there prices are a tad over priced but with the 40% off coupon they publish every sunday in the local paper i can get model cars for about 11 dollars which i like but i feel bad that im taking my business to them over the local hobby shop two doors down

Zayre88

I went to that store in Manchester, nice and very large store.  It's A.C.Moore + Michaels under one roof.

That day they had a lot of stuff on sale at 40% and 50% off which was a very good deal.

retailisking

ynkeesfn82

Excerpt for the Joann's next door (in the old KMART Foods) I think Hobby Lobby would be a great replacement for KMART in Waterbury of course they would've have to divide the building into two spaces.

ynkeesfn82

There is a rumor that Hobby Lobby will be coming to Bristol, CT in the former Sears Appliance and Hardware Store/Salvation Army.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on January 16, 2014, 06:39:04 PM
There is a rumor that Hobby Lobby will be coming to Bristol, CT in the former Sears Appliance and Hardware Store/Salvation Army.

Confirmed, but they're looking for a separate tenant for the space Sears was using for their garden center.

http://saugatuckcommercial.com/property081.html#

ynkeesfn82

And right after I posted this on the U're Probably From Bristol Facebook Group someone posted a link to a letter supposedly from the head of Hobby Lobby saying they were going to close all 500+ stores in 41 states because of something that The President of the United States did that they don't agree with. Keeping politics off this board (politics DO NOT belong on this board), has anyone been able to confirm whether or not this is true?

bubcolbert1952

If so, they WON'T be missed by me. Good riddance! Their stores regardless of location always have seemed to attract a very rough crowd. I do admire them for filling empty spaces that nobody else wants, but AC Moore or possibly Jo-Ann Fabrics would probably fill most of their empty stores in a heartbeat if they went under. Big Lots also would, or Stein Mart, or Goodwill, or Burlington Coat Factory, or Total Wine & More, etc.

Hobby Lobby can be described in one word by the name of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM0Nh82GWsM

Due to foul language in the original song I posted an instrumental.

ynkeesfn82

Page 6 of today's Bristol Press confirms Hobby Lobby is coming to Bristol, CT. They hope to start renovating the old Sears Appliance & Hardware Store/Salvation Army in March and open by late June. If you can deal with their religious beliefs they pay very well too. And how many retail jobs are there where you get every Sunday off? That sounds like a perk to me.  :)

ynkeesfn82

Hobby Lobby won't let The Bristol Auto Club have their Saturday Night Car shows any more. The Bristol Auto Club has been having their Cars there for many many years. Sears had no problem with them using that spot. http://www.bristolautoclub.com/

Stork of The Weak

I think the empty (or is it still empty?) former Super G/Shop N Save/Super Fresh in Yardley PA could be split into Hobby Lobby and Big Lots. These two would be great at the site because the only other Big Lots in Bucks County is in an old, dead, seedy plaza in Fairless Hills, and Hobby Lobby opened a store in Easton (in the Lehigh Valley of PA) not too long ago. Easton and Yardley are many miles apart but are both right on the line between PA and NJ.

store215

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 01, 2014, 04:48:26 PM
I think the empty (or is it still empty?) former Super G/Shop N Save/Super Fresh in Yardley PA could be split into Hobby Lobby and Big Lots. These two would be great at the site because the only other Big Lots in Bucks County is in an old, dead, seedy plaza in Fairless Hills, and Hobby Lobby opened a store in Easton (in the Lehigh Valley of PA) not too long ago. Easton and Yardley are many miles apart but are both right on the line between PA and NJ.

I'm pretty sure I read a few weeks ago that Yardley store will soon become a ShopRite. Yardley is a very high income area..definitely not Big Lots material. (But yeah, there is definitely room for Big Lots to grow in the Philadelphia burbs (plenty of empty spaces in Warminster!). Same with Harbor Freight tools..I would love to have one of those closer to me.
I don't think we really have a need for Hobby Lobby in this area, IMO. We already have the regional AC Moore, plus Michael's and JoAnn (which seems to have recently expanded in the area). Their political stances aren't too great either..I think that kind of stuff only flies down south  ;D.

Stork of The Weak

Has the former Acme in Morrisville (near Yardley) become anything yet? Since Morrisville is poor compared to Yardley, I would think Big Lots/Hobby Lobby would be good for the spot. Anyway what's your point about the politics of Hobby Lobby? I don't necessarily agree with them but the chain has already come north, but so far is in only rural areas of PA and NJ.

ynkeesfn82

There was another article in today's Bristol Press (that's not online) about Hobby Lobby coming to Bristol, Connecticut. It's been listed on HOBBYLOBBY.COM for a couple weeks now. And as of last week there is a Hobby Lobby Coming Soon sign next to the plaza sign at the Bristol Farms Plaza on Route 6 in Bristol. As of today it still doesn't look like construction has started yet. They're also coming to Jasper, Alabama. I only mention that because a friend of mine owns a non-profit radio station in Jasper called 100.1 FOX-FM.

ynkeesfn82

Some work has started at the site of the Bristol, CT store. Today I saw one guy measuring the exterior of the building. There were some other people around too. The doors of the old Sears Hardware (which is part of the space Hobby Lobby will occupy) were open and there were blueprints sitting on top of a stolen Walmart shopping cart.

ynkeesfn82

I sh*t you not. This morning when I stopped by the Bristol site to take some pictures one of the contractors ran out of the store with a gun telling me if I take any pictures he was going to shoot me.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on June 12, 2014, 11:37:07 AM
I sh*t you not. This morning when I stopped by the Bristol site to take some pictures one of the contractors ran out of the store with a gun telling me if I take any pictures he was going to shoot me.

Did you report that to the police?  You can't go and threaten people while brandishing a firearm.

Must have been some major code violations going on in there that they didn't want you to see.

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: Marc B on June 12, 2014, 11:37:07 AM

WTF?!!!!

ynkeesfn82

I talked to a friend of mine who owns his own business. His thoughts on what happened was that the contractor is pulling a Workman's Comp Scam.

Stork of The Weak

Hobby Lobby has a store in Conroe, TX which is remarkable because it once was a Woolco, then an early Texas Walmart, yet it still looks Woolco inside and out. Walmart moved in 1995 to have a Supercenter across the street.

ynkeesfn82

3 new locations in Connecticut will be opening this fall.

Bristol - 1235 Farmington Ave (Formely Sears Appliance & Hardware and the Salvation Army) on October 3rd.

Manchester - Buckland Hills Drive (formerly Sports Authority) September 12th.

Milford -  1777 Boston Post Road (formerly Sports Authority) October 10th.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on July 05, 2014, 12:17:40 PM

Bristol - 1235 Farmington Ave (Formely Sears Appliance & Hardware and the Salvation Army) on October 3rd.

Milford -  1777 Boston Post Road (formerly Sports Authority) October 10th.

So looks like hobby lobby only has one store in CT right now and they are probably looking to expand in the  northeast next few years.

I don't expect one in Newington any time soon though. I looked them up and their typical stores square footage is from 40,000 to 50,000 sf, they are big stores. There is no available square footage like that on the pike.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: TRU7536 on July 05, 2014, 07:54:29 PM

So looks like hobby lobby only has one store in CT right now and they are probably looking to expand in the  northeast next few years.

After last Monday, will anyone in the northeast want to even shop there? I'm trying to keep this on the topic of retail, but their politics may scare potential customers off.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Scrabbleship on July 06, 2014, 02:09:30 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on July 05, 2014, 07:54:29 PM

After last Monday, will anyone in the northeast want to even shop there? I'm trying to keep this on the topic of retail, but their politics may scare potential customers off.

That's why there are plenty of other places to shop for your hobby supplies if that's how strongly you
feel about the issue.

Is this a great country or what?

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on July 07, 2014, 11:21:53 AM
That's why there are plenty of other places to shop for your hobby supplies if that's how strongly you
feel about the issue.

Is this a great country or what?

Exactly.  :) Just like if you don't like Walmart you can shop at Target. If you don't like Target and you live in The Midwest you can go to Shopko. If you don't like McDonald's you can go to Burger King. Etc Etc Etc.

ynkeesfn82

Connecticut's 2 senators - Murphy and Bluementhal are both going after Hobby Lobby.

http://foxct.com/2014/07/14/connecticut-disagrees-with-supreme-court-decision/

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on July 14, 2014, 08:44:37 AM
Connecticut's 2 senators - Murphy and Bluementhal are both going after Hobby Lobby.

http://foxct.com/2014/07/14/connecticut-disagrees-with-supreme-court-decision/

1) If they are United States Senators, then they ought to know that a Supreme Court ruling
that says the US Federal Government cannot require this will surely apply to the State of
Connecticut as well.  Thus what they are doing is merely a publicity stunt meant to appeal
to people who disagree with the court's decision.

2) If they are truly "going after" Hobby Lobby that is something known as a Bill of Attainder
which is specifically prohibited in the US Constitution.   You cannot single out an individual or
specific company for legislative punishment.

ynkeesfn82

Hobby Lobby had its soft opening in Manchester, Connecticut on Wednesday September 10th and their Grand Opening today 9/15.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-hobby-lobby-opens-in-manchester-20140911,0,3178051.story