Manchester Parkade is finally coming Down!!!

Started by scottw73, May 07, 2012, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottw73

After years as an eyesore in Manchester, the "Parkade" is finally being demolished starting with Stop & Shop

http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/hartford/hc-manchester-darkside-demo-0508-20120507,0,438859.story

I believe this is the last vacant Bradlees in CT, correct me if I'm wrong

ynkeesfn82

Everything except for the movie theater is coming down. A park will be built.

TRJ_22487

Wow, I never knew the grocery store closed in 1991. I guess it stood vacant long enough. A bit sad to see this demolition but it sure is overdue.

TRU7536

i would have loved to see how the insides of these vacant buildings looked. Wow...Stop and Shop peaced out over 20 years ago. That plaza has history.

JimSawhill

So the old Forbes and Wallace/ Butterfield's building will be torn down too... two more defunct department stores!!!

Bdubs

I guess they figured after 20 years of not being able to find a tenant, they would do something different with the property.  Buckland Hills has stolen so much out of the rest of Manchester, it is kind of sad going through these areas and seeing quite a few empty shops.

TRU7536

Quote from: Bdubs on May 10, 2012, 05:44:52 PM
I guess they figured after 20 years of not being able to find a tenant, they would do something different with the property.  Buckland Hills has stolen so much out of the rest of Manchester, it is kind of sad going through these areas and seeing quite a few empty shops.

The old Kmart on Spencer street still stills vacant as well.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on May 11, 2012, 05:27:11 PM

jeez, Still??  K-Mart should reopen it...

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on May 23, 2012, 08:35:48 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on May 11, 2012, 05:27:11 PM

jeez, Still??  K-Mart should reopen it...

They should. They do have the Vernon store, but Manchester needs another dept. store. Target is in South Windsor and Walmart is a nightmare over there. The Kmart building is huge and they have a large parking lot.

Bdubs

ynkeesfn82

Channel 3 reported tonight that Walmart will be building a new store on the site of the former Manchester K-MART.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on August 08, 2012, 05:06:22 PM
Channel 3 reported tonight that Walmart will be building a new store on the site of the former Manchester K-MART.

Wow....I heard rumors that Wal Mart wanted the old Silver Lane Plaza (East Hartford) to build a store. I guess East Hartford wasn't interested in them. :(

TRU7536

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on August 19, 2012, 03:45:05 PM
Quote from: Bdubs on June 08, 2012, 10:44:03 PM
Kmart building is going to be demolished as well...http://www.wfsb.com/video?clipId=7379045&autostart=true

It's gone! I just moved to Manchester and live by that.

Going to be a rep[lacement for the Buckland Wal-Mart?? Or a new store??