What's your favorite hotel chain?

Started by Zayre88, April 22, 2012, 06:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

JimSawhill

Zayre88

ynkeesfn82

Don't really have one. I'll stay in a place that offers a clean room for a decent price. Naturally I'll check reviews on TRIPADVISOR.COM first.

Zayre88

Quote from: Marc B on April 24, 2012, 11:40:09 PM
Don't really have one. I'll stay in a place that offers a clean room for a decent price. Naturally I'll check reviews on TRIPADVISOR.COM first.

That's what I do also. 

I usually look for recent hotels from Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express or Country Inns.

MikeRa

If i just go on overnight trips to visit different Thoroughbred and/or Standardbred Horse Racetracks, then I'll usually stay at Red Roof Inn.  For vacations in Florida, it would be Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

BillyGr

Which ever one has the best deal in the area I'm going to be in (with a quick check to make sure it's not completely uninhabitable).

bubcolbert1952

Clarion, the luxury version of Comfort Inn. And that's saying a lot. Comfort Inn is like Cadillac but I would compare Clarion to Lamborghini.

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 11, 2014, 09:29:50 PM
Clarion, the luxury version of Comfort Inn. And that's saying a lot. Comfort Inn is like Cadillac but I would compare Clarion to Lamborghini.
The Clarion Hotel in downtown Green Bay, Wisconsin used to be a Holiday Inn until 2009, and will become a Hampton Inn next year. Yes, Clarion is more upscale than Comfort Inn, but not as upscale as Quality Inn, another Choice Hotels chain. I guess you could compare the Quality Inn to a Jaguar.

ynkeesfn82

Really? Quality Inn an upscale hotel? Tell that to all the wedding guests who got food poisoning at the restaurant at The Quality Inn in Bristol, Connecticut back in '91 or '92.

The hotel was built as a Quality Inn in the late 80s. Then it became The Raddison Inn some time in the mid-late 90s. I know it was The Raddison when my high school had its Junior Prom there in '99. Sometime in the early to mid 2000s they became a Clarion. After more than $30 million in renovations and some new construction the hotel became a Double Tree in 2013.

TheFugitive

I have a friend who is originally from Gujurat, a state in India.   The natives of that state pride themselves
on being a successful merchant class.   Many have emigrated to this country, where a very large number of
them now own motels. 

He told me that "Patel" is the most common surname there, and that a big majority of the Gujuratis who have
come here are actually named "Patel".  So if you go into a motel and see the owner is an Indian fellow, you
may address him as "Mr. Patel" and have about an 80% chance of being correct.

My friend had taught me a phrase in his native language (which I can never seem to recall or pronounce)
which basically translates "No, OUR rate, man!"  To be used for securing the old Hometown Discount.   :D

buzz86us

Clarion inn is rapidly dwindling there are very few left choice seems to be trying to kill the brand I am guessing they want to try and push comfort suites...

MikeRa

When I go down to Walt Disney World, I will stay that Saturday night before arriving at Microtel Inn in Georgia, and on the way back usually a Best Western or a Days Inn in either South Carolina or North Carolina
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

HannafordHearts

There are a few hotel chains that I like; sometimes, it depends on whether the specific hotel is good or not. For example, a Comfort Inn & Suites in Wilkes-Barre PA that I stayed in was good, but the one in Davenport FL was just horrible. For me, the ones that are most consistently good are the Hilton Garden Inns and Hamptons.

Hudsons81

The Fairmont Hotel that I stayed at in downtown Chicago in 2009. Their in-hotel cable had a channel that broadcast nothing but instructions on how to brew your own coffee. Literally.

Plus, I also enjoyed seeing what the local version of WGN looked like, considering that WGN America was soon about to begin the slow process of converting into a fully national cable channel which was essentially still a national feed of WGN in name only.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 15, 2015, 07:23:16 PM
Their in-hotel cable had a channel that broadcast nothing but instructions on how to brew your own coffee. Literally.

For the Dish Network $19.99 promotional price you get that one PLUS C-SPAN and HSN!  :D

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 19, 2015, 11:46:57 AM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 15, 2015, 07:23:16 PM
Their in-hotel cable had a channel that broadcast nothing but instructions on how to brew your own coffee. Literally.

For the Dish Network $19.99 promotional price you get that one PLUS C-SPAN and HSN!  :D

Additionally, I was initially confused on where Fox even was on their cable-I was in the #3 market, which, surprisingly, has their Fox O&O on a UHF station (channel 32), making it very unique among channel positions of the major networks in the top three markets (especially considering that Fox is on VHF channels in New York and Los Angeles). Even our local Fox O&O is on VHF and we're #12.

What makes it even more surprising is the fact that the CW is actually on a VHF PSIP channel in Chicago-WGN there is on channel 9. This must explain why channel 32 used to go under the "Fox Chicago" moniker-they didn't want to be embarrassed by the fact that they were a major network that was relegated to a UHF channel in the #3 market back in the analog days.

I really liked the Days Inn hotels with their comfy beds, indoor pools, and free breakfasts.

busman_49

Quote from: Marc B on April 24, 2012, 11:40:09 PM

Same here.  I don't really have a preference.

As for defunct chains, Signature Inns were my favorite.

BillyGr

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 19, 2015, 12:42:31 PM
Additionally, I was initially confused on where Fox even was on their cable-I was in the #3 market, which, surprisingly, has their Fox O&O on a UHF station (channel 32), making it very unique among channel positions of the major networks in the top three markets (especially considering that Fox is on VHF channels in New York and Los Angeles). Even our local Fox O&O is on VHF and we're #12.

What makes it even more surprising is the fact that the CW is actually on a VHF PSIP channel in Chicago-WGN there is on channel 9. This must explain why channel 32 used to go under the "Fox Chicago" moniker-they didn't want to be embarrassed by the fact that they were a major network that was relegated to a UHF channel in the #3 market back in the analog days.

Odd - our station never had a problem using Fox 23 (which is of course also UHF) - they still do but now that they and the ABC are affiliated you see less of it and more of the News 10 ABC on Fox for that.

As to the original topic, whichever one offers a good deal :)