Newbury Comics

Started by retailisking, April 18, 2012, 09:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The venerable New England music/video/lifestyle retailer that has operated since 1978 is shifting away from strip centers to mall locations. They have already moved into the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua, NH and are said to be moving to the Maine Mall in South Portland, ME. A curious development for a sector whose profit margins are not known to support mall-level rents.

Here is a typical mall-based Newbury Comics storefront:

Crawford

there is a Newbury Comics in the Providence Place Mall and it seems to be doing well.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

ynkeesfn82

There's also one at The Buckland Hills Mall The Shoppes at Buckland Hills in Manchester, CT. They've been there for a few years.

retailisking

Shows you what I know! I thought this was a new thing. I guess they're rolling this out over time as their old leases expire.

Lastdaysofrain

They moved their free standing store at the Square One Mall in Saugus, MA into the mall about a year ago.

They also moved their store in Hyannis into the Cape Cod Mall about a year ago as well.

retailisking

Confirmation of the trend we've all observed, including some fascinating details courtesy of Mike Dreese himself:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/51382-newbury-comics---it--s-always-morph-or-die--.html