Heartland Food Warehouse

Started by retailisking, April 03, 2012, 06:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Before there was BJ's, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot or ALDI (at least in my neck of the woods) there was Heartland Food Warehouse. The ads describe the concept quite clearly, and elements of its philosophy live on.

Apparently Leo Kahn thought it was enough of a draw that their South Portland, ME location advertised in a newspaper published two hours away in Bangor...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2457&dat=19781208&id=ORE9AAAAIBAJ&sjid=Vy4MAAAAIBAJ&pg=5820,3621732

And this ad in Lewiston...
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1928&dat=19790509&id=XvYpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rGUFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4152,1867494

After the sale of parent company Purity Supreme to Supermarkets General (and six-plus years of giving the Hannaford/Shaw's oligopoly heartburn) Heartland closed in January 1985. It became a Shaw's, which itself eventually closed and relocated to Scarborough. And the grocery business in Maine got a lot less interesting.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=fZsrAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dPsFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5936,1671768&dq=heartland+food+warehouse+south+portland+shaw's&hl=en

In light of the current controversy over "pink slime," note that in the same paper Shaw's was advertising cut-rate ground beef with 28% Textured Vegetable Protein! YUM!

gu4ever

Awesome ad, thanks for sharing.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

retailisking

The Google News Archive (now mothballed, but what they had already scanned is still online) is an absolute treasure trove of classic display ads for retail through the years. So much more convenient than the microfilm/microfiche viewer at the library!

Bdubs

There was a Heartland in Manchester, CT where a BJ's now stands.  It sat empty for years, and the labelscar was still evident until they finally took the plaza down a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure there was one on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington somewhere.  I remember going there as a little kid, but always forgot to ask my mom where it was.

Crawford

Here I thought I was the only one who remembered this market. There was one in Seekonk and when it opened there literally was a line out the door. It switched over to a Purity Supreme at some point then back to a Heartland then became a Super Stop and Shop. Eventually the Stop and Shop moved up the street and the building was demolished and a Kohls now stands in it's place. There was also a separate Heartland Pharmacy in the same lot. This has since become a small Best Buy.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

TRU7536

Quote from: Bdubs on April 18, 2012, 07:20:13 PM
There was a Heartland in Manchester, CT where a BJ's now stands.  It sat empty for years, and the labelscar was still evident until they finally took the plaza down a few years ago.

I'm pretty sure there was one on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington somewhere.  I remember going there as a little kid, but always forgot to ask my mom where it was.

It was on the Berlin Turnpike where Raymour and Flanigan now stands. In the same plaza where Best Buy is now, was Heartland Drug. I have tons of memories shopping there, bc i lived right down the street from it. That building must be pretty old, i assume it was built in the 60's or 70's. The was when it was the only supermarket on the BT. The pike has changed alot since it closed in 1997, also during that year is when Bradlees, The Wiz, Lechemere, the old Cimenas all closed. Many empty retail sites were empty until 1999 when Walmart, Target, Lowes all moved in.

JimSawhill

The Hartland food was on the Berlin Turnpike where I think Raymor & Flanigan's Furniture is.

Bdubs

I knew it was located in an that vicinity.  We lived in Colchester, and drove all the way there every other week to shop because there wasn't anything like that out in the sticks.  We would also make the hike to Home Depot when it first opened down there, that was one of the first HD's in the state. 
Crazy how things have changed.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on May 08, 2012, 08:35:54 PM

It was on the Berlin Turnpike where Raymour and Flanigan now stands. In the same plaza where Best Buy is now, was Heartland Drug. I have tons of memories shopping there, bc i lived right down the street from it. That building must be pretty old, i assume it was built in the 60's or 70's. The was when it was the only supermarket on the BT. The pike has changed alot since it closed in 1997, also during that year is when Bradlees, The Wiz, Lechemere, the old Cimenas all closed. Many empty retail sites were empty until 1999 when Walmart, Target, Lowes all moved in.

I believe that the old Heartland on the BT was at one time an old Treasure City Store. (another Tresure City was in the Manchester Parkade)