Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market

Started by Joeg, March 29, 2012, 05:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeg

They are opening on in West Hartford, CT, the first one in the state in the former Adams Food Store location.

Any views on this?? Do you think they will "shake up" the marketplace??

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on March 29, 2012, 05:33:50 AM
They are opening on in West Hartford, CT, the first one in the state in the former Adams Food Store location.

Any views on this?? Do you think they will "shake up" the marketplace??

WMT seems committed to growing both this concept (now called simply "Walmart Market" and its emerging Walmart Express banner. The latter is a small-format general merchanidise store unlike the grocery-focused Market.

silvfx66

New Walmart Neighborhood Market opening in Cary NC in former Kroger, across from Harris Teeter. Probably only 3-5 miles from 2 Walmart Supercenters

Bdubs

The Supercenters are still their bread and butter, but they're gonna stick it to any other competition anyway they can.  Like the comment says at the bottom of that link, "get lost Walmart."

retailisking

ynkeesfn82

They're finally getting started on the Bristol, CT location.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on January 22, 2013, 06:35:39 PM
They're finally getting started on the Bristol, CT location.

The ShopRite I work at says that Bristol will open by April.

TRU7536

So i got a question about these Walmart Neighborhood markets. Are they just a rip off of what Target did with its grocery section?

Its seem that are popping up now a year after Target rolled out its own.

Also, it seems Target and Walmart are fazing out its "Super Centers" and "Super Targets" and replacing it with these type of these stores.

I know Newington is going to add its 20,000 SF of super market later this year, once Bassett moves to its new location.

Another question, are all of these neighborhood markets going to be seperate or will some like Newington and Cromwell be attached to current Walmarts? Are all Walmarts, like Rocky Hill, Hartford going to get one as well?

JimSawhill

I well say that Wal-Mart Markets are not going to do much in CT. I believe that here, in Florida, it is doing ok, but not as good as hoped. Most of the Markets are free standing...The Markets here that I know of were former supermarkets -- an old Winn-Dixie and 2 old U-Saves.

ynkeesfn82

I think Walmart Neighborhood Market was Walmart's plan B for Bristol, Connecticut since they could not receive approval from the city to expand their store.

ynkeesfn82

The one in West Hartford is now open. I'm hearing September for Bristol.

ynkeesfn82

MikeRa

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 22, 2013, 08:09:25 PM
So i got a question about these Walmart Neighborhood markets. Are they just a rip off of what Target did with its grocery section?

Its seem that are popping up now a year after Target rolled out its own.

Also, it seems Target and Walmart are fazing out its "Super Centers" and "Super Targets" and replacing it with these type of these stores.

I know Newington is going to add its 20,000 SF of super market later this year, once Bassett moves to its new location.

Another question, are all of these neighborhood markets going to be seperate or will some like Newington and Cromwell be attached to current Walmarts? Are all Walmarts, like Rocky Hill, Hartford going to get one as well?
The Walmart Neighborhood Markets are stand alone stores, not connected to a Walmart store.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

Walmart Neighborhood Market opened in Bristol, CT on Wednesday. I went today. It's not a bad store. It's like your typical supermarket. If you didn't see the Walmart Spark on some of the signs and the Walmart branded products - Great Value and Sam's Choice you wouldn't know you were in a Walmart affiliated store. The only department they don't have that a regular grocery stores has is a fresh bakery. They had cakes available to purchase however and some take and bake products. At under 55,000 Square Feet it is smaller than your average grocery store and I think Senior Citizens are going to like that. Seniors hate large stores. Like with a regular Walmart prices were lower than other stores on some items or they were the same as other stores. Like with any other store you have to know your prices.

Joeg

Maybe if there Bristol and West Hartford stores are a success, maybe they will open in the old Big Y in East Hartford.  I also wonder if they plan on opening in Manchester across the street from Shoprite.

ynkeesfn82

Last I heard they were trying to build a Walmart Supercenter across the street from Shoprite in Manchester and that is on hold due to lawsuits filed by The Cohen Family (Shoprite) and Shoprite's landlord.