Bristol Farms Plaza - Bristol, Connecticut

Started by ynkeesfn82, March 25, 2012, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

The Bristol Farms Shopping Plaza is located at 1235 Farmington Avenue Route 6 in Bristol, CT. The plaza is anchored by a 33,353 sq.ft Sears Appliance & Hardware Store and a 45,058 sq.ft Big Lots store. Big Lots opened in 2003 in a space vacated by Waldbaum's Foodmart several years earlier. (1999 or 2000). At first Big Lots did well, but over the past few years it's been struggling. Each time I've been there recently there haven't been many customers in the store.

Sears Appliance and Hardware doesn't do a lot of business either. The spot they are in was originally Woolco and later Rickel and the Pergament Express.

Other stores in the plaza include: Aaron's Rental, Joann's Fabrics & Crafts, Hung's Chinese Restaurant (aka Golden Pagoda), Short Cuts Salon, a dentist office, and 2 free standing buildings housing a Webster Bank and Wendy's. Truthfully Webster Bank and Wendy's do the most business out of anything else in the plaza.

There are 2 vacancies right next to each other next to Sears - a 17,715 Square Foot spot that was home to Salvation Army Thrift store until February 15th and a 23,210 Square Foot spot that was Marshall's until a few years ago. They moved to a bigger store in Plainville a few years ago. A 3rd vacant store is next to Aarons and is 3,564 and until last fall was Black Belt of America Martial Arts School. Aarons was CVS and then Family Dollar. FD closed in 2009 after only 5 years in business, citing they couldn't compete with Big Lots as the reason for their closure. The martial arts school was once a location of the now defunct Hit-or-Miss woman's clothing chain. (They closed years ago). The Hair Salon was once a dry cleaners, and the dentist office was once People's bank. (People's Bank closed in 1996 when they moved inside Stop & Shop. That sport sat vacant for years too).

The plaza needs an extreme make-over. Not sure what, however.

http://northeastretail.com/portfolio/bristolfarmsplaza/

ynkeesfn82

If Sears closed they can combine that spot with the vacant Salvation Army Store and part of the vacant Marshall's and open a 60,000 Square foot Burlington Coat Factory. With the 14,275 square feet leftover they can put in a Petco.

Staples can move from further down Farmington Ave into the Big Lots spot and take 20,000 Square Feet. Why should Staples move? Because at least once a year during severe heavy rains their entire parking lot ends up under feet of water. Save-a-Lot Food Stores can take another 20,000 square feet in the Big Lots spot. That would leave a 5,058 square feet left in the Big Lots spot. Plus the 3,000 Square Foot former martial arts school.

ynkeesfn82

Apparently Sears Appliance & Hardware will be closing. When? Who knows? All I know is that a new realty company has been brought in to market the plaza to potential tenants and they have the Sears spot listed as vacant. Interestingly enough the picture on the website show's the plaza back when Marshall's was still in operation. I don't remember what year they moved into the former Levitz Furniture in Plainville.

http://www.saugatuckcommercial.com/property081.html

ynkeesfn82

So it's been some 9 months since the new leasing agent took over and nothing has changed here. The only thing that changed is that they cleaned the filthy dirty windows on the empty Marshall's store. I think it's time someone steps in and buys this plaza and gives it a make-over.

ynkeesfn82

Rumor is that the little Joann Fabrics Store will be closing when they open their new super-sized store in Southington.

ynkeesfn82

Update: Sears Appliance and Hardware is closing by January 31st. Joann's is closing by February 1st. Hobby Lobby is reportedly going to take the former Sears Appliance and Hardware along with the vacant former Salvation Army.

Once Hobby Lobby opens remaining vacant space includes a 23,000 (or so) Square Foot former Marshalls, a 3,500 Square Foot that most recently was a Karate School, and a 10,000 Square Foot spot that was Joann's.

The maintenance of the plaza is really lacking as there are 2 potholes in the parking lot side by side and they're large enough to swallow a small child.

The plaza was built in 1974 and at one time was owned by Cornerstone Properties current owner of Shoprite Plaza in Southington. They also have been using the parking lot along the side of Sears for an antique car show every Saturday Night in the Spring and Summer.

ynkeesfn82

Update:

It is confirmed that Hobby Lobby will be opening in the former Sears Appliance & Hardware Store and former Salvation Army. They're looking for a tenant to take over the space Sears was using for their Garden Center. Also the former Joann's and Karate School can be combined into a larger 13500+ Square foot spot.

http://saugatuckcommercial.com/property081.html#

ynkeesfn82

An article on Page 6 of today's Bristol Press confirms better days are ahead for Bristol Farms Plaza. The landlord confirms Hobby Lobby will take over the former Sears Appliance & Hardware Store/Salvation Army. He also plans on updating the plaza's facade, parking area, and landscaping. The landlord also says a restaurant and another store may also move into the plaza. He hasn't named these other possible tenants at this time. Hobby Lobby hopes to open in late June.

ynkeesfn82

Two steps forward, one step back for the Bristol Farms Plaza. Hobby Lobby will be opening in 2 weeks in the former Sears Hardware and former Salvation Army and according to the real estate company's website a lease is pending for part of the former Sears Garden Center. Also according to the website for the real estate company Aaron's Furniture and Appliance rental is moving out. They're supposed to be moving to Price Chopper Plaza. When Aaron's goes out that side of the plaza will be dead except for Hobby Lobby.

ynkeesfn82

More trouble for the trouble Bristol Farms Plaza.

Lemle Bristol, LLC owners of Bristol Farms Plaza is on a list of delinquent tax payers in the city of Bristol. In other words they didn't pay there taxes.

In addition Saugatuck Commercial Properties is no longer representing this plaza as of March 2015. I didn't even notice when I was at the plaza today if there's a new real estate company sign in front of the plaza. There are no signs in the windows of any of the vacant stores nor has there ever been.

I also wonder if the plaza suffered roof leaks from all the snow. All of a sudden 3 of the 4 vacant stores are partially gutted. These are the old Aaron's Rental, The old Karate School, and the old Joann's.  The old Marshall's is not gutted at all. And all these years later their fixtures are still in the store.

ynkeesfn82

I have heard rumors that a bank will be taking ownership of this plaza.

A new Real Estate Company - Atlantic Retail Properties has been hired to try and attract tenants to the plaza.

http://atlanticretail.com/listings/bristol-ct/

ynkeesfn82

And the hits keep on coming for this plaza. Webster Bank might be closing. There has been a bank in that location for over 30 years. Although the main link still shows Webster Bank this one shows it as vacant. Also I don't think that's right for the space next to Hobby Lobby where it says up to 9,700 Square Feet. The other real estate company said the space was only 5,000 Square feet. It was the garden center for Sears.

http://atlanticretail.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/BristolCT_BristolFarmsPlaza.pdf

ynkeesfn82

Mom went to Hobby Lobby on Thursday. I didn't want to go inside the store and instead of waiting for her in the car I took a walk around the exterior of the plaza. I still can't figure out why they can't attract tenants this plaza. The plaza appears to be in good shape. Sure there is some graffiti, but a lot of buildings have that in back. My personal opinion is that they landlord wants too much for rent. He also won't divide the vacant spaces into smaller spaces.

Family Dollar closed in this location in 2009 and then it was Aaron's for 5 years after that, but there is still a sign on the back of the Family Dollar Space that days "Family Dollar. No Dumping. Dumping is against the law." And Marshall's has been closed since 2008 (or 2007) an there is still a sign with Marshall's logo on it with a similar message as the Family Dollar sign.

Webster bank is still open.

Hudsons81

Quote from: Marc B on October 03, 2015, 08:10:22 PM
Mom went to Hobby Lobby on Thursday. I didn't want to go inside the store and instead of waiting for her in the car I took a walk around the exterior of the plaza. I still can't figure out why they can't attract tenants this plaza. The plaza appears to be in good shape. Sure there is some graffiti, but a lot of buildings have that in back. My personal opinion is that they landlord wants too much for rent. He also won't divide the vacant spaces into smaller spaces.

Family Dollar closed in this location in 2009 and then it was Aaron's for 5 years after that, but there is still a sign on the back of the Family Dollar Space that days "Family Dollar. No Dumping. Dumping is against the law." And Marshall's has been closed since 2008 (or 2007) an there is still a sign with Marshall's logo on it with a similar message as the Family Dollar sign.

Webster bank is still open.

Reminds me of a couple similar signs that were posted on the backs of a couple storefronts at the Southgate Shopping Center in Southgate, Michigan.

The former Ukazoo Books (currently serving it's second straight October as Spirit Halloween) still had a sign with the Waldenbooks logo on a door into the back of the store, this remained on there until 2011, removed probably when either Borders Express closed or Ukazoo opened.

The back of the former Rainbow still had a sign reading "Winkelman's" on it's back door from when it was a Winkelman's ladies' clothing store, in addition to a sign with the Rainbow logo above it. Both were removed when the entire back exterior wall of the Eureka Road-facing structure was repainted around the time the long-vacant Montgomery Ward was demolished.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on May 25, 2015, 02:27:27 PM
I have heard rumors that a bank will be taking ownership of this plaza.

A new Real Estate Company - Atlantic Retail Properties has been hired to try and attract tenants to the plaza.

http://atlanticretail.com/listings/bristol-ct/

A financial institution has in fact taken over ownership of this plaza. It's now owned by GMAC.

Key Point Realty Partners is now the leasing agent.

http://www.keypointpartners1.com/proppdf/CTBristol_BristolFarms.pdf

Spirit Halloween just opened in the former Marshall's. The first new store (albeit temporary) since Hobby Lobby opened in October 2014.

giantsfan2016

giantsfan2016

New ownership has taken over this plaza as of May 2017. Since it is nearly vacant with just Hobby Lobby, Big Lots, a small dental office, a small Chinese restaurant, a small independent hair salon, and a free-standing Wendy's, the new owners got the plaza for the bargain basement price of $6.5 million. By comparison the developer who owned the plaza prior to GMAC taking over the plaza paid $15 million back in 2005. Back then the plaza was 100% Occupied.

The new ownership is proposing expanding the plaza and building a grocery store (who?), an automotive retailer, and possibly a couple restaurants including bulldozing the former Webster Bank and replacing it with a restaurant. See the new real estate listing here:
http://truecre.com/b/assets/uploads/2017/06/true_bristol_bristol-farms-plaza_NEW-RETAIL.pdf

standa

Quote from: Brammy on September 13, 2017, 06:49:29 PM
New ownership has taken over this plaza as of May 2017. Since it is nearly vacant with just Hobby Lobby, Big Lots, a small dental office, a small Chinese restaurant, a small independent hair salon, and a free-standing Wendy's, the new owners got the plaza for the bargain basement price of $6.5 million. By comparison the developer who owned the plaza prior to GMAC taking over the plaza paid $15 million back in 2005. Back then the plaza was 100% Occupied.

The new ownership is proposing expanding the plaza and building a grocery store (who?), an automotive retailer, and possibly a couple restaurants including bulldozing the former Webster Bank and replacing it with a restaurant. See the new real estate listing here:
http://truecre.com/b/assets/uploads/2017/06/true_bristol_bristol-farms-plaza_NEW-RETAIL.pdf

Maybe the grocery store could be Big Y. They are often about 55,000 sq ft.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on September 13, 2017, 06:49:29 PM

Someone who works at ShopRite in Bristol seems to think some change is about to happen at the store. Maybe they will move across the street. A year ago, the associates were talking about the existing store getting a drastic remodel, which would expand in to the former dollar store and change the facing of the registers to the front of the store and the aisles shifted as well. That obviously never happened. Earlier in the year, they painted the walls of the store and never replaced signage and pictures throughout the store. They have been making minor improvements over the past year including replacing floor tiles and new registers, but it still looks incomplete. Then I heard the owner wanted to sell the store. So perhaps they will eventually move across to Bristol Farms. I doubt Big Y would open in Bristol.

giantsfan2016

The Edge Fitness Club is moving into the former Marshall's which has been vacant since Marshall's move to Plainville 10 years ago (or so). They are also taking an adjacent spot that over the years was CVS, Family Dollar, and Aaron's. This is so surprising because for years the real estate listing said "No Fitness Allowed."

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on December 22, 2017, 06:53:46 PM
The Edge Fitness Club is moving into the former Marshall's which has been vacant since Marshall's move to Plainville 10 years ago (or so). They are also taking an adjacent spot that over the years was CVS, Family Dollar, and Aaron's. This is so surprising because for years the real estate listing said "No Fitness Allowed."

I went to the plaza today, it's mostly vacant, with the Hobby Lobby still having vacant areas next to it.
Well, I looked in the windows, and they're clearly doing something...
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

giantsfan2016

Was in Bristol today. The Edge Fitness Club is still under construction.  They have a preview center set up in the former Webster Bank. Still unsure when they will open. The new landlord has upgraded the landscaping, though the sidewalk near Big Lots still has huge cracks in it.

giantsfan2016

The Edge Fitness Club opened on August 25th. The old Webster Bank remains vacant. 2 side by side spaces next to The Edge Fitness Center adding up to 13,480 square feet remain empty. They're also still trying to lease out the former Sears Hardware Garden Center four years after Hobby Lobby took the old Sears Hardware/Salvation Army space.

giantsfan2016

Things are looking up at Bristol Farms Plaza. As mentioned The Edge Fitness Club opened at the end of August 2018. Now Popeye's Chicken is eyeing the former Webster Bank, and Starling Eye Center is  supposedly taking over the old Sears Garden Center on the side of Hobby Lobby. A nail salon and one other business are taking over part of the old Joann's, leaving about 3,000 Square feet of the former Joann's left.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Brammy on February 09, 2019, 02:58:38 PM
Things are looking up at Bristol Farms Plaza. As mentioned The Edge Fitness Club opened at the end of August 2018. Now Popeye's Chicken is eyeing the former Webster Bank, and Starling Eye Center is  supposedly taking over the old Sears Garden Center on the side of Hobby Lobby. A nail salon and one other business are taking over part of the old Joann's, leaving about 3,000 Square feet of the former Joann's left.

I went to Bristol Farms Plaza today. OMG. I haven't seen that parking lot so full in years. It's amazing how this plaza was dying for many years and now it's thriving.  The Edge Fitness Center looks nice from the outside. They started converted the old Sears Garden Center into Starling Eye Center, but currently it looks like the construction project is abandoned. They haven't started on Popeye's yet. In fact the signs are still up on the former Webster Bank announcing that they are the "Preview Center" for The Edge Fitness Center. The "vitamin and supplement" store in part of the former Joann's is  open. Work is still being done on the nail salon also opening in the former Joann's. The remaining part of the former Joann's is completely gutted except for the ceiling and lights.

Brammy

Short Cuts Salon has closed. Bringing the number of inline vacancies to 2. This spot is 2,050 square feet. The other inline vacancy is 1/3 of the former Joann's. The other 2/3 of the store belong to Miss T's Nail Salon and Spa and a nutrition supplement store. The Popeye's that was supposed to take over the former Webster Bank was never built. They never finished the space that was supposed to be for Starling Optical.
The Real Brammy

TRU7536

So I found out this plaza use to be home to Rickels. Does anyone know where in the plaza it was located?

Brammy

Quote from: TRU7536 on May 20, 2020, 05:02:04 PM
So I found out this plaza use to be home to Rickels. Does anyone know where in the plaza it was located?

Where Hobby Lobby is.
The Real Brammy

Brammy

2022 Update:

The plaza continues to thrive. A scratch and dent appliance store took over the remaining portion of the former Joann's. Aroma Joe's a New Hampshire based Coffee Shop built their first Connecticut location on the site where Webster Bank was. The former hair salon remains vacant as does the former Sears Garden Center which was supposed to be Starling optical, which opened instead in a new building in the plaza known as The Shoppes at Larson's Farm.
The Real Brammy