Six Pathmarks, five Waldbaums, three A&P supermarkets to close

Started by retailisking, January 10, 2012, 11:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Here are the stores to close as announced on Monday as published by Supermarket News:

Three A&P stores: Danbury, Conn.; and Garfield and Bayonne, N.J.

Six Pathmark locations: East Islip and Mt. Vernon, N.Y.; Manahawkin, Kearney and Egg Harbor Township, N.J.; and Upper Moreland, Pa.

Five Waldbaums: West Babylon, Rockville Centre, Lake Ronkonkoma, Huntington Station and Commack, N.Y.

RoleModel

Long Island is starting to have Stop & Shop supremacy. I expect Shoprite to pick up very few of the LI stores as most of the ones they are closing are near existing Shoprites. The most likely ones I can see are Lake Ronkonkoma (and probably RVC in Nassau).

EI, West Babylon, Lake Ronkonkoma and Huntington all have Stop & Shops nearby (with WB having 2 S&S, a Shoprite and a Pathmark as well), while the Commack one they're closing on Vanderbilt Parkway just lost a lot of business with a new Shoprite down the road.

faz152

The thing is though....A&P has invested very little to nothing in these buildings.... west Babylon waldbaums is small,outdated and an absolute dump.... they could have expanded...they could have done a lot of things...but stop and shop ate up their business big time... same goes in Huntington and east islip....they CHOSE not to compete.... the ronkonkoma store was remodeled a few years ago but definately didn't help it.  As far as Commack you are absolutely right.... Shop Rite put the final nail in its coffin, not to mention the walmart and target directly behind it, and the fact that that waldbaums is small and outdated as well.  Its been a long time coming....true is though I think that they could have closed a few more.... like Oakdale for example.... and a few LI pathmarks....only time will tell.

RoleModel

Quote from: faz152 on January 11, 2012, 11:44:53 AM
The thing is though....A&P has invested very little to nothing in these buildings.... west Babylon waldbaums is small,outdated and an absolute dump.... they could have expanded...they could have done a lot of things...but stop and shop ate up their business big time... same goes in Huntington and east islip....they CHOSE not to compete.... the ronkonkoma store was remodeled a few years ago but definately didn't help it.  As far as Commack you are absolutely right.... Shop Rite put the final nail in its coffin, not to mention the walmart and target directly behind it, and the fact that that waldbaums is small and outdated as well.  Its been a long time coming....true is though I think that they could have closed a few more.... like Oakdale for example.... and a few LI pathmarks....only time will tell.

I'm surprised they didn't close Holbrook, as that's a textbook example of a small outdated dump. I'm guessing their building situation there is more favorable as opposed to Lake Ronkonkoma.

nims57

Does anyone know when the Egg Harbor Pathmark opened? Part of the mall across the street was built in 1968, the same year Pathmark started, but most of the mall was never built until 1974. At the same time the Bradlees and Stop & Shop across the parking lot from Pathmark were built. But the Pathmark had a Rickel next to it, and that didn't really start until 1982...