Trader Joe's

Started by retailisking, January 08, 2012, 04:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Old news, but the Trader Joe's in Tyngsboro, MA will relocate across the state line to Nashua, NH, a move that will allow the store to expand and offer beer and wine for the first time.
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/943903-196/trader-joes-scheduled-to-come-to-nashua.html

Scrabbleship

After years of waiting and a group that did regular bus trips to Hadley, MA, the Capital Region of New York will finally get its first Trader Joe's later this year. The location is the former OfficeMax on Wolf Road in Colonie.

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Dream-comes-true-for-Trader-Joe-s-fans-2446224.php

retailisking

It's good to see that the Capital Region is finally getting a Trader Joe's.  Like the Capital Region, Portland, ME had a very active community of people pushing for a TJ's there. Albany is a funny place in terms of what they do and do not get, or at least have to wait forever for. The grass is always greener, of course - I'd love to have ALDI, Boscov's, Price Chopper, ShopRite and all the stuff they have that we don't.  As for Wegmans and Costco, I feel their pain!

retailisking

retailisking

TJ's is coming to Newington, NH at the former Pet Quarters location in the Crossings at Fox Run, the Kohl's/Best Buy-anchored power center where the Newington Mall once stood. At 11,700 square feet it's be downright tiny compared to the one in Portland, ME but more typical of TJ's store sizes if still a tad smaller than normal.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120802-NEWS-120809964

retailisking

buzz86us

I wish they'd have done a separate store front for wine at the cost of 500 sq ft so that I could pick up some two buck chuck now and then and skirt the stupid liquor store lobbyists. I am sick of going to seedy liquor stores for wine...

MikeRa

Here is the Trader Joe's in Media, PA.  This is located on the 2nd floor of the former PA National Guard Armory:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

BillyGr

Interesting way to reuse an old building like that - we just had one locally turned into a library.

But then again, Trader Joe's seems to be more willing than many retailers to take "unusual" spots and work with them rather than just buying a lot and building their own style building.

mixedday

With the Sports Authority closing in Cherry Hill, it came to my mind just now, that I wonder if that site might be attractive for Trader Joes.

Some pluses for this site:
1. Likely ideal size
2. Right across Cherry Hill Mall, that is anchored by Nordstrom, Macys, JCPenney, Crate & Barrell
3. In center with Target, Kohl's and Babies R Us.
4. No other grocery store in center, so no lease conflicts that might exist otherwise if ShopRite or Acme was there. Target sells food, but it's not a Super Targert and I don't think it has lease provision with the center owner, to prevent a chain like Trader Joes.

Minus points:
1. The building is a freestanding building, albeit in the Target center.
2. Marlton Trader Joes might be too close from Trader Joes perspective.

The freestanding building likely isn't a major minus (probably more for Sports Authority than a grocer like Trader Joes), I suppose, and if Trader Joes can work in areas like Media without being contiguous to other box stores, maybe it'd work in a freestanding building. I think the crowd it attracts should be strong enough that Trader Joes doesn't need that assistance of other big box store traffic necessarily, and being attached on both sides to other stores.

I have been to the Marlton store, where it has been quite busy and other times, quite not busy.  I don't know if that store performance would affect Trader Joes from considering Cherry Hill, and vice-versa, if a new store in CH might hurt the Marlton store. I believe there is reasonable separation between the sites, however. And, Cherry Hill shopping area is convenient for those in Camden County and those who come from Philly to do a lot of shopping over the bridge, where Marlton is too far for that. Similarly, Whole Foods now exists in both Cherry Hill and Marlton and those sites are closer in together actually. Also worth mentioning is an Aldi has taken over the Bottom Dollar Food space, although Aldi and Trader Joes likely co-exist well.

In Marlton, what's good in terms of new development, but maybe problematic is the Fresh Market is rumored to be taking over the Borders site in Marlton. It will likely pull some traffic from Rastelli's Market Fresh, Whole Foods and Trader Joes. And The Fresh Market in my opinion, offers nothing special and might just dilute sales from better stores.

retailisking

The German family that controls Aldi Nord (the parent of Trader Joe's) is in the midst of a family feud that could turn into Demoulas-style warfare
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-15/family-that-owns-aldi-nord-fights-over-control-of-the-company

giantsfan2016

Trader Joe's is opening at the Plaza at Buckland Hills on Pleasant Valley Road in Manchester, CT. It will be in the former Eastern Mountain Sports.

FROM COURANT.COM

Trader Joe's Submits Plans For Manchester Store
By Jesse Leavenworth

The grocery store chain Trader Joe’s has submitted plans to open a location in Manchester.

The store is planned for vacant space in the Plaza at Buckland Hills, town planning and economic development Director Gary Anderson said Tuesday. This is to be the second Trader Joe’s in the Hartford area; the other is in West Hartford.

“We have seen a good deal of reinvestment in Buckland Hills recently and both national retailers and local businesses continue to see Manchester as a desirable place to locate,” Anderson said.

The grocery store is to occupy the former Eastern Mountain Sports store in the plaza at Buckland Street and Pleasant Valley Road. Eastern Mountain’s parent company, Eastern Outfitters, announced store closings last year in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings.

The first Trader Joe’s opened in Pasadena, Calif., in 1967, and new stores have continued to open throughout the nation, 13 in 2016 alone, according to the company website. There are 30 stores in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey, according to www.traderjoes.com.

The West Hartford store opened in the Corbin’s Corner Plaza in 2005. At the time, it was the town's third market specializing in natural and organic foods, arriving nine days after the 42,000-square-foot Whole Foods Market opened in West Hartford Center.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on January 24, 2018, 01:00:52 PM
Trader Joe's is opening at the Plaza at Buckland Hills on Pleasant Valley Road in Manchester, CT. It will be in the former Eastern Mountain Sports.

FROM COURANT.COM

By Jesse Leavenworth

The grocery store chain Trader Joe’s has submitted plans to open a location in Manchester.

The store is planned for vacant space in the Plaza at Buckland Hills, town planning and economic development Director Gary Anderson said Tuesday. This is to be the second Trader Joe’s in the Hartford area; the other is in West Hartford.

“We have seen a good deal of reinvestment in Buckland Hills recently and both national retailers and local businesses continue to see Manchester as a desirable place to locate,” Anderson said.

The grocery store is to occupy the former Eastern Mountain Sports store in the plaza at Buckland Street and Pleasant Valley Road. Eastern Mountain’s parent company, Eastern Outfitters, announced store closings last year in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings.

The first Trader Joe’s opened in Pasadena, Calif., in 1967, and new stores have continued to open throughout the nation, 13 in 2016 alone, according to the company website. There are 30 stores in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey, according to www.traderjoes.com.

The West Hartford store opened in the Corbin’s Corner Plaza in 2005. At the time, it was the town's third market specializing in natural and organic foods, arriving nine days after the 42,000-square-foot Whole Foods Market opened in West Hartford Center.
Interesting, maybe I'll go in a Trader Joe's for the first time ever.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

JimSawhill

Quote from: Brammy on January 24, 2018, 01:00:52 PM

FROM COURANT.COM

By Jesse Leavenworth

I love Trader's Joe... There's is a few in the area - one in Carrolwood and one in Tampa with one in the second floor of Sears at Clearwater Mall.