Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

Bangor's Kmart store a couple years ago:

This building would be a great location for a Market Basket!

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on December 30, 2016, 11:52:00 AM
Bangor's Kmart store a couple years ago:

This building would be a great location for a Market Basket!

I said this to a friend and 2 from bangor said I am surprised its not already closed,another said not many cars in the lot. I will go to it soon . I last went to Bangor in 2006. Remaining Kmarts In ME: MAdawaska, Auburn, Augusta and Waterville.

retailisking

Of the remaining Kmarts in Maine, it appears that the Madawaska store is the only one where Seritage owns the real estate.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on December 31, 2016, 09:11:33 PM
Of the remaining Kmarts in Maine, it appears that the Madawaska store is the only one where Seritage owns the real estate.

will it close? its the only store of its kind for 60 miles in the US side but across the border in Canada is a WAlmart and CAnada and the US have different products. 

TRU7536

The cromwell store is on the closing list. Kind of sad

giantsfan2016

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 04, 2017, 06:06:00 PM

Yeah. I wish I could get there, but since I don't have a car I can't.

Zayre88

Sears is also closing in Augusta Maine (Turnpike Mall)  Saw this in the lists...

katnapped

At least 105 Kmart stores closing this time around.

danfifepsu

Quote from: catnap72 on January 04, 2017, 09:03:34 PM

108 leaving Kmart w 630 stores, how could this be?

katnapped

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 04, 2017, 10:00:56 PM
Quote from: catnap72 on January 04, 2017, 09:03:34 PM

108 leaving Kmart w 630 stores, how could this be?

You're correct.  I had three left out.

630 stores left...down to about a quarter of what they had at their peak :(

store215

A sad and interesting thing to note, Kmart in Garden City, MI is on the list.....this was their very first store.

danfifepsu

Quote from: store215 on January 05, 2017, 12:30:27 AM
A sad and interesting thing to note, Kmart in Garden City, MI is on the list.....this was their very first store.

why would it be? it sholdnt be, if that cant make it i feel its bye bye Kmart in 2018

store215

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 05, 2017, 07:42:26 AM
Quote from: store215 on January 05, 2017, 12:30:27 AM

why would it be? it sholdnt be, if that cant make it i feel its bye bye Kmart in 2018

That's being optimistic. I'm not even sure if they will make it thorough the rest of 2017 at this point. The CEO just had to throw more money in to keep it afloat and it was announced that Craftsman is being sold to Stanley/Black & Decker. The end is sadly near.

Bdubs

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 04, 2017, 06:06:00 PM

That is a huge vacancy, as Xpect Discounts closed last year and they were right next to each other. I heard the landlord has been shopping for potential tenants since last year. He probably knew they weren't renewing that lease. Target was one of the retailers, it would be a good fit there.

giantsfan2016

Shoprite might be taking part of the KMART spot. 2 people who work at Shoprite near me told me Shoprite was going to open in Cromwell in late 2017 or early 2018. Just don't know which family would own it.

shore72

I'm really saddened by the Craftsman sale; what else is left, aside from real estate? We were in Sears a couple in December and the place wasn't packed, but it wasn't dead, either. Major appliances, furniture, white goods-they were all devoid of people-but there were lines at the register in tools. We stopped in once again over the New Years weekend and the place was looking really picked over. I was surprised that they hadn't reduced Christmas stock further...what were they waiting for?

danfifepsu

Quote from: shore72 on January 05, 2017, 11:04:00 PM
I'm really saddened by the Craftsman sale; what else is left, aside from real estate? We were in Sears a couple in December and the place wasn't packed, but it wasn't dead, either. Major appliances, furniture, white goods-they were all devoid of people-but there were lines at the register in tools. We stopped in once again over the New Years weekend and the place was looking really picked over. I was surprised that they hadn't reduced Christmas stock further...what were they waiting for?

what yaer will Kmart go? And them getting rid of their first store is pathetic.

retailisking

Quote from: shore72 on January 05, 2017, 11:04:00 PMI'm really saddened by the Craftsman sale; what else is left, aside from real estate?

They're still trying to unload Kenmore and DieHard. When those brands and Sears Home Services go there will be nothing left to sell and they will liquidate. I think they've pretty much given up on trying to sell the Sears Auto Centers; there are no other suckers like Roger Penske waiting in the wings.

Zayre88

Inside Bangor's closing Kmart:

The store was unusually busy on Tuesday.  Discounts ranged from 10 to 30% off... not too impressive yet. 

There was 70% off remaining Xmas items (still pretty lame for a final store closing when the discounts were at 85% off at Lowe's and 90% off at Walmart!)

retailisking

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 16, 2017, 08:06:27 PM
There was 70% off remaining Xmas items (still pretty lame for a final store closing when the discounts were at 85% off at Lowe's and 90% off at Walmart!)
The liquidators know that the heaviest volume of shoppers come in at the earliest stages, so there's little incentive for them to discount too much.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: retailisking on January 17, 2017, 05:57:30 PM
The liquidators know that the heaviest volume of shoppers come in at the earliest stages, so there's little incentive for them to discount too much.

True dat. When Geno and I went to the Cromwell, CT store on Saturday all the registers were open and they all had long lines. They were ringing out customers at the Customer Service Desk and there was a long line there too. I had never seen a KMART so busy before. And the stuff at the store was only 10-20% off.

giantsfan2016

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

This time, Kmart and Sears will "ship" my pants, drawers and other purchases until all the shelves are bare!  XD

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

retailfan

My guess is the only thing that will remain of Sears or Kmart by 2019 will be an online presence I doubt that the brick and mortar stores will be around  I think that they are doing basically the same thing that Ritz Camera was trying to do and go to an internet only  such as Montgomery Ward . Time will tell  but with the shop your way program they started I believe that is the direction they are heading .   

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailfan on January 31, 2017, 02:30:00 PM
My guess is the only thing that will remain of Sears or Kmart by 2019 will be an online presence I doubt that the brick and mortar stores will be around  I think that they are doing basically the same thing that Ritz Camera was trying to do and go to an internet only  such as Montgomery Ward . Time will tell  but with the shop your way program they started I believe that is the direction they are heading .   

how many will be left by next summer as there will be 630 left by April 1. they had 2300 in 1995.