Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

Kmart janesville, claremont NH, Torrington Ct, Decuator IN, Fort WAyne IN, MUNCIE IN, RIo Rancho NM, Peoria il, Rochester Hills MI, Port Huron Mi, Bloomfield Township Mi, Flint MI, Burton Mi, Dale City VA, Ames IA, Dickson TN, Springfield OH, Fairborn OH, Myrtle Beach ARE CLOSING

So Claremont NH And Torrington Ct are among them going.

d_fife

Hudsons81

The Super Kmart in Madison Heights, Michigan is closing too. After this, Kmart will be left with 57 stores in the very state they began in. Plus, it is a shame that the Port Huron Super Kmart is shutting down-it's the last remaining Super Kmart in Michigan with the original "Super Kmart Center" signage.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2014/09/24/kmart-closing-michigan-stores/16142873/

UPDATE: The Rochester, Pennsylvania Kmart is also closing.

http://www.timesonline.com/news/business/rochester-kmart-closing-in-december/article_154d9694-6af7-5b83-8add-2fc45750559e.html

Plus, there are actually no longer any Kmarts in Bloomfield Township, d_fife. The store there actually closed in December 2013.

BillyGr

Quote from: jason83080 on September 23, 2014, 07:09:09 PM
Just out of curiosity (and, I'm sure that I know the answer), is a closing sale the ONLY time Kmart stores go into their backrooms and completely clean them out of old merchandise? After finding NBA Live 2006 for the GameCube at the Westlake Kmart (which only opened in 2012 after a GOOB sale as Sears Grand, following the previous Kmart GOOB sale in 2007, so this was the THIRD ONE), and now finding VHS tapes - and one sun-faded CD, which I don't remember who the singer is, but it's someone current-ish - on sale at the Brooklyn Super Kmart, I have to wonder who's actually in charge of the inventory levels at these stores.

I can forgive the VHS tapes at the Brooklyn store - it's been around since the days of VHS, and I remember what a crowded disaster the GOOB sale was when its non-Super predecessor closed was - but, c'mon people... WATCH YOUR INVENTORY.

Probably is something that got stuck away somewhere, though there is a (slight) possibility that a liquidator had odds and ends they decided to get rid of and jut stuck a Kmart tag on it.

I remember we had a local mini-chain here in the Albany area called Joy Store that closed back in the 1990's - their tags had dates on them (they never used scanners so everything was price tagged) and some of the tags during the closing had dates from the mid 1980's on them, so it must have been stuff that didn't sell and got pushed into a corner and only found as they completely cleaned out the store rooms.

TheFugitive

Quote from: d_fife on September 24, 2014, 02:55:39 PM
Kmart janesville, claremont NH, Torrington Ct, Decuator IN, Fort WAyne IN, MUNCIE IN, RIo Rancho NM, Peoria il, Rochester Hills MI, Port Huron Mi, Bloomfield Township Mi, Flint MI, Burton Mi, Dale City VA, Ames IA, Dickson TN, Springfield OH, Fairborn OH, Myrtle Beach ARE CLOSING

So Claremont NH And Torrington Ct are among them going.

Used to shop the one in Burton, MI all the time.  Once ducked in there to avoid an approaching tornado.
Had just picked up my wife from her job at the Hills store that was up the road.

Rhonda the Rabbit Lady, star of the 1989 Michael Moore film Roger & Me, worked in the cafeteria.
Apparently Moore did not believe in sharing his profits with her.

d_fife

Riedsville NC is going too. why is it minneapolis area will have 3 left. Whats with kmarts with some 2 million people metro areas have 2 or 3 left?

d_fife

katnapped

Randolph (Dover) NJ as well.

Looks like Paramus NJ and Claymont DE might also be going away.

d_fife

Why doesnt Shopko just buy out many of the remaining Kmarts and Sears, and sell some to Meijer, and maybe Fred Meyer. Kmart just isnt relevant anymore. its been going downhill for 25 years, in the mid 1990s they closed many and almost filed for bankruptcy.

Hudsons81

Quote from: d_fife on September 28, 2014, 02:03:49 PM
Why doesnt Shopko just buy out many of the remaining Kmarts and Sears, and sell some to Meijer, and maybe Fred Meyer.

Right now, I don't see most of that happening-Shopko is probably still focused on their Shopko Hometown stores and Meijer isn't expanding anywhere else than into Upper Michigan and Wisconsin. However, it's possible that Kmarts in the northern central US may be sold to Shopko, those in the Great Lakes area sold to Meijer and those in the Northwest sold to Fred Meyer.

However, I do know of a former Super Kmart that Meijer acquired located in Lincoln Park, Michigan, on Dix Highway south of I-75. That store opened as a Super Kmart in 1994, closed during the 2003 mass closings and reopened as a Meijer in 2004. Plus, one of the two Meijers in Portage, Indiana is located on the site of a former Super Kmart that closed in the 2012 80-store massacre.

d_fife

Surprised I feel Kmart might as well shut down? How come some 2 million metro areas have 2 or 3 Kmarts left when there were many of them. When will Kmart shut down.

katnapped

Claymont official, dunno about Paramus.  Maybe somebody could pay the store a visit?

d_fife

Hudsons81

Quote from: jason83080 on September 23, 2014, 07:09:09 PM
Just out of curiosity (and, I'm sure that I know the answer), is a closing sale the ONLY time Kmart stores go into their backrooms and completely clean them out of old merchandise? After finding NBA Live 2006 for the GameCube at the Westlake Kmart (which only opened in 2012 after a GOOB sale as Sears Grand, following the previous Kmart GOOB sale in 2007, so this was the THIRD ONE), and now finding VHS tapes - and one sun-faded CD, which I don't remember who the singer is, but it's someone current-ish - on sale at the Brooklyn Super Kmart, I have to wonder who's actually in charge of the inventory levels at these stores.

I can forgive the VHS tapes at the Brooklyn store - it's been around since the days of VHS, and I remember what a crowded disaster the GOOB sale was when its non-Super predecessor closed was - but, c'mon people... WATCH YOUR INVENTORY.

(NBA Live '06 at the Westlake Kmart, April 2014)

Well, here's an image from the Kmart World blog of the box of a Mortal Kombat game for the Nintendo 64 that was discovered during the 2012 liquidation of the former Big Kmart in Buford, Georgia.

And in addition, here's an old pack of gum that was found at the same store shortly after it closed permanently. Also visible is a worn-out coupon that expired on May 31, 1999.

Hudsons81

Quote from: muppethammer26 on October 03, 2014, 06:16:10 PM
Did you pick those old items up and saved them?

I didn't even take these photos and I've never been to that store.

d_fife

Kmart in Marysville ohio too is not on the list anymore is that closing too??? Well a meijer just opened there and they have a WALMARt. and the Kmart w as out in the middle of nowhere.

the more competitors. the more Kmart goes.

jason83080

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 03, 2014, 05:09:33 PM
Well, here's an image from the Kmart World blog of the box of a Mortal Kombat game for the Nintendo 64 that was discovered during the 2012 liquidation of the former Big Kmart in Buford, Georgia.
~snip~

And in addition, here's an old pack of gum that was found at the same store shortly after it closed permanently. Also visible is a worn-out coupon that expired on May 31, 1999.
~snip~

That box being stuffed under a shelving unit is an example of theft that was never discovered. As for the gum, probably the same thing: It fell between some shelves during a remodel/reset and was never found. NBA Live 2006 out for sale - brand new - in April 2014, two consoles AFTER the GameCube was actually a thing, is just odd, especially when - as I said before - that was in the THIRD store closing/backroom clearance event, after 2005's pre-Sears-Grand and 2012's back-to-Kmart "going out of business" sales.

TheFugitive

that gum will likely shatter like an old roofing slate if you try to chew it

Hudsons81

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 06, 2014, 10:56:59 AM
that gum will likely shatter like an old roofing slate if you try to chew it

Making it unedible?