Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shore72

Our nearest Sears store is shutting down (Seaford, DE.) It's pretty small, sort of a glorified "hometown" store. Seems like they would have had enough business to maybe convert it to one of those? Few if any softlines there, basically tools/lawn & garden/TV/Appliances/Auto Center.

Did some shopping in Dover this weekend. I was struck with how fast & easy it was for me to buy something from Tractor Supply and then Lowes, followed by how long it took me to buy a simple item at Sears. Too many steps for the cashier, too many questions for me, plus all these little coupons printed out with the receipt.

Ameskid

Quote from: d_fife on June 11, 2014, 02:39:44 PM
Kmarts in Anderson TOwnship OH,
Yep...that's mine.  It was a matter of time, really, but it's still sad to see it go.

It was originally constructed in the early '80s as a Gold Circle, but Kmart moved in in the early 1990s.  It was branded as a Big Kmart up until the closing of Beechmont Mall and the post-demolition remodeling in 2004 (although, oddly, it was still identified as a Big Kmart on receipts as of 2009 or so).  Little Caesar's closed along with the mall - the space it occupied was divided up into stockroom space, baby clothes, and restrooms.

Here's an interior shot from May 2006.  It still looks basically the same.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/14298234810/

I'll post some photos of the closing sale in progress once I get them off my phone.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

JoshAustin610

The PA store that's closing is actually in Pottstown, but is in the neighborhood called Sanatoga Village, which is why it's referred to as the Sanatoga store.  After it closes Montgomery County will only have one Kmart left, in Willow Grove; at one point there were seven (North Wales closed in 00, Wyncote in 02, Flourtown in 03, and Norristown & Eagleville in 09).

store215

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on June 30, 2014, 08:05:07 PM
The PA store that's closing is actually in Pottstown, but is in the neighborhood called Sanatoga Village, which is why it's referred to as the Sanatoga store.  After it closes Montgomery County will only have one Kmart left, in Willow Grove; at one point there were seven (North Wales closed in 00, Wyncote in 02, Flourtown in 03, and Norristown & Eagleville in 09).

At the rate they are going, I doubt there will be any Sears or Kmart stores left in a year or two from now. Not sure how Willow Grove is still open at this point. I was there a few weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon and I was one of only a handful of people in the store.

MikeRa

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on June 30, 2014, 08:05:07 PM
In Bucks County, there are only 4 Kmarts left: Bensalem (Former J. M. Fields), Feasterville-Trevose, Doylestown, and Quakertown.

In Philadelphia, there are only 3 Kmarts left: 3301 Aramingo Avenue, 7101 Roosevelt Blvd., and 8800 Frankford Avenue (Former Clover)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife

d_fife

WInonia and this other one are closing (Oh ya WArner Robins GA). The one in Winonia doesnt surprise me cause when I Went there half the lights were on, ShopKO, Target and WAlmart are near it and it was dead when I went in.

d_fife

http://www.theledger.com/article/20140714/NEWS/140719601  also 2 in Orlando have closed this year (Turkey hill and near the Florida mall and 3 are left within 20 miles of ORlando, WHY?)

d_fife

d_fife

Hudsons81

Hot off the press: Sears is shutting down their store at Century III Mall in suburban Pittsburgh in December. It was one of the mall's original anchors.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2014/09/22/Sears-closing-store-at-Century-III-Mall-in-West-Mifflin-Pittsburgh

jason83080

Just out of curiosity (and, I'm sure that I know the answer), is a closing sale the ONLY time Kmart stores go into their backrooms and completely clean them out of old merchandise? After finding NBA Live 2006 for the GameCube at the Westlake Kmart (which only opened in 2012 after a GOOB sale as Sears Grand, following the previous Kmart GOOB sale in 2007, so this was the THIRD ONE), and now finding VHS tapes - and one sun-faded CD, which I don't remember who the singer is, but it's someone current-ish - on sale at the Brooklyn Super Kmart, I have to wonder who's actually in charge of the inventory levels at these stores.

I can forgive the VHS tapes at the Brooklyn store - it's been around since the days of VHS, and I remember what a crowded disaster the GOOB sale was when its non-Super predecessor closed was - but, c'mon people... WATCH YOUR INVENTORY.

(NBA Live '06 at the Westlake Kmart, April 2014)

Hudsons81

Quote from: jason83080 on September 23, 2014, 07:09:09 PM
Just out of curiosity (and, I'm sure that I know the answer), is a closing sale the ONLY time Kmart stores go into their backrooms and completely clean them out of old merchandise? After finding NBA Live 2006 for the GameCube at the Westlake Kmart (which only opened in 2012 after a GOOB sale as Sears Grand, following the previous Kmart GOOB sale in 2007, so this was the THIRD ONE), and now finding VHS tapes - and one sun-faded CD, which I don't remember who the singer is, but it's someone current-ish - on sale at the Brooklyn Super Kmart, I have to wonder who's actually in charge of the inventory levels at these stores.

I can forgive the VHS tapes at the Brooklyn store - it's been around since the days of VHS, and I remember what a crowded disaster the GOOB sale was when its non-Super predecessor closed was - but, c'mon people... WATCH YOUR INVENTORY.

That's pretty crazy-I haven't seen any old merchandise at the Southgate Super Kmart, but that store also has been around since the VHS and Nintendo 64 days, though it opened when DVD was still a brand-new format and when the Playstation 2 had yet to debut for another year.

TheFugitive

Quote from: jason83080 on September 23, 2014, 07:09:09 PM

When I was with Ames, shortly after we acquired the Zayre stores, reports started emerging of
Zayre stores in Chicago with 30% shrink.

Every other customer could steal a television set and walk out the door, and it would still
not add up to 30% shrink.

The culprit was that their employees were of such low quality they could not do their
receiving paperwork properly.  Hence it was all paper shrink.

I have seen similar problems working in a Hills store in a rough neighborhood.  If poor employee
quality keeps you from checking in the freight properly, it certainly also keeps you from getting
it out to the floor in a timely manner. 

Someone probably ditched this stuff inside a ceiling tile or disguised it as a layaway so they
could clock out and go home.