Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stork of The Weak

The former Sears in Neptune NJ (near Asbury Park) became a Caldor, which makes perfect sense because Caldor and Sears were so similar. Then it was what I think was the last Ames ever opened. In fact one of the last Bradlees ever opened was also a former Caldor in Trenton, which before Caldor was a Mr. Goodbuys home improvement store.

TheFugitive

Maybe it would just be quicker to post the Kmart stores that aren't closing?   ???

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 28, 2014, 11:57:45 AM
Maybe it would just be quicker to post the Kmart stores that aren't closing?   ???

If this was Facebook I would "LIKE" your comment. LOL.

With all the store closings going on, it's no wonder they're always advertising that they're looking for help. Who'd want to work for a company where you don't know how long you're going to have a job for.

d_fife

Kmarts in Rexburg ID and WAynesboro PA are closing? but why arent they closing stores as rapidly as earlier in the year. The one in Minneapolis wants to stay open despite the city wanting to redevelop the property to pass a street through and will go along with the redeveloping, they dont want to leave that one, yet theyve closed some stores.

jason83080

Tomorrow's the last day for Kmart's second go-around in Westlake, Ohio. The property owner decided to not pursue renewing the lease on the building, with the intent to redevelop that area so it better complements nearby Crocker Park. With this closure, Kmart really DOES become a 'destination' store, with the only other two closest locations being Middleburg Heights, OH (Bagley/Engle Rds, off of I-71) and Lorain/Amherst, OH (SR58, off of SR2; one of the few remaining Super Kmart stores). Additional locations are also open in Broadview Heights, OH (Pleasant Valley/Broadview Rds) and Brooklyn, OH (on Brookpark Rd near Ridge Rd, down the road from its former location, which is now Best Buy/Staples), but that's even further away from where I'm at.

MikeRa

At this point, Sears Holdings will be mostly Sears, with all of these Kmarts closing
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife

Quote from: MikeRa on April 21, 2014, 12:08:28 PM
At this point, Sears Holdings will be mostly Sears, with all of these Kmarts closing

they are slowing down in closing Kmarts why?  we cant have all these rural areas just have WAlmart.

Stork of The Weak

I really wonder if Sears was doing fine before Kmart bought them. Of course the Sears Holdings representatives probably spin the truth and make it look like Sears was desperate to survive as was Kmart. Throughout the 80's, 90's, and early 2000s, Sears seemed to keep growing and growing, helped by the Sears Hardware stores popping up in shopping centers.

MikeRa

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 25, 2014, 05:10:00 PM
I really wonder if Sears was doing fine before Kmart bought them. Of course the Sears Holdings representatives probably spin the truth and make it look like Sears was desperate to survive as was Kmart. Throughout the 80's, 90's, and early 2000s, Sears seemed to keep growing and growing, helped by the Sears Hardware stores popping up in shopping centers.
It was only a year for Kmart to be out of bankruptcy at the time (emerging from bankruptcy in 2003) when Kmart announcec they were buying Sears in 2004 (Finalized 2005).

Stork of The Weak

I hope if Sears/Kmart do go out of business that someone else can save Craftsman, Kenmore, and DieHard (along with all other Sears product lines) from extinction. Ace Hardware is already selling Craftsman through at least a few stores.

TheFugitive

Quote from: d_fife on May 04, 2014, 10:42:34 AM
http://thecountypress.mihomepaper.com/news/2014-05-04/Front_Page/LAPEER_KMART_CLOSING.html

I remember this store very well.  I had worked at the Ames in Imlay City, just two exits up I-69.
Ames management was licking its chops when they opened that store, as the only competition between
Port Huron and Flint was that Kmart (which had seen better days, even back then) and two Fisher Big
Wheel locations.

And they were right.  We blew away first year sales projections by more than 30%.

Sad to see as Michigan has always been Kmart's back yard.

Lapeer has grown so much in the intervening years I'm sure the competition is
extremely fierce by now.

dmx10101

Sears to close 80 stores after loss widens in first quarter

May 22, 2014

Sears plans to close at least 80 stores this year after widening its loss in the first quarter of fiscal 2014.

Although same-store sales increased 0.2% for the quarter, the company’s net loss climbed to $402 million from $279 million in the prior-year quarter. Revenues declined 7% to $7.9 billion, from $8.5 billion in the prior-year quarter.

Sears attributed its continued decline in revenue to the closure of Kmart and Sears full-line stores, as well as the divestiture of its Lands’ End business. But according to a Reuters report, analysts pointed to the effect of promotional transactions on gross margin, with one analyst going so far as suggesting that the company’s new business model â€" namely Shop Your Way â€" may be doing more harm than good since the company offered deep discounts on “already promoted, low-margin items.”

"Sears is undergoing a significant transformation, and we fundamentally are changing the way we do business," said chairman and CEO Edward L. Lampert. "Our performance in the first quarter highlights the challenges we are facing as well as the progress we are making in this transformation. We are moving away from a company that was heavily based on selling products solely through a store-based network to a member-centric business model focused on providing benefits to our members anytime and anyplace. We are seeing progress in our transformation to a member-centric, integrated retailer, as we continue to invest heavily in driving our Shop Your Way program.”
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

TheFugitive

Quote from: dmx10101 on May 27, 2014, 06:26:18 PM
We are moving away from a company that was heavily based on selling products solely through a store-based network to a member-centric business model focused on providing benefits to our members anytime and anyplace. We are seeing progress in our transformation to a member-centric, integrated retailer, as we continue to invest heavily in driving our Shop Your Way program.”

Any investor who would actually buy that line of gobbeldy-gook is too danged dumb to
be playing the stock market in the first place.

d_fife

MikeRa

What I've been noticing is Sears Holdings has been closing Kmart stores and leaving the Sears store alone.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: MikeRa on June 03, 2014, 06:33:19 PM
What I've been noticing is Sears Holdings has been closing Kmart stores and leaving the Sears store alone.

Maybe so, but they're downsizing the store in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania and supposedly West Hartford, Connecticut too.

Stork of The Weak

Is the Sears in West Hartford in the former Lord & Taylor building? Long ago I saw a picture of a Lord & Taylor in that town that opened in 1954 but I don't know where that store was or what became of it. Also I know of a Sears in northern VA that once was a Lord & Taylor from the same period.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on June 03, 2014, 07:45:27 PM
Is the Sears in West Hartford in the former Lord & Taylor building?

Nope. It's in The Corbin's Corner Plaza on New Britain Ave across from Westfarms Mall.

Stork of The Weak

What happened to the former Lord & Taylor? Not the one in the mall, I know there must have been one before the mall was built, that the one in the mall replaced.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on June 03, 2014, 08:05:25 PM
What happened to the former Lord & Taylor? Not the one in the mall, I know there must have been one before the mall was built, that the one in the mall replaced.

Maybe it's Marshalls. Bishop's Corner on N. Main Street.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on June 03, 2014, 07:39:18 PM
Quote from: MikeRa on June 03, 2014, 06:33:19 PM

Maybe so, but they're downsizing the store in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania & supposedly West Hartford, Connecticut too.

You could say the same for the store in Albany (NY) in Colonie Center, where they leased one corner of it to Whole Foods.

Given that most of the Kmart closings have been happening when their leases expire, that could explain some of the reason for leaving more of the Sears side alone, at least those in the malls (which is not all, but a large number of them). 

At least with the older malls, many times the anchors owned their spaces, rather than leasing them, so if they still own some of them there wouldn't be a "lease ending" to cause them to close (and would be why it's Sears then leasing part of the space to others, like with the Whole Foods example).  An example of this is why they left the old Jamesway (Mays) at the Dutchess Mall when demolishing the rest - since the Mays company still owns it (even if the stores are long gone).

MikeRa

I know, at least in the Phialdelphia area, Sears owns their locations at Neshaminy Mall and Moorestown Mall, but, I believe, lease their location at Bustelton Avenue and Cottman Avenue (the former Gimbels Great Northeast location)

ynkeesfn82

Sears owns their store at Corbin's Corner in West Hartford, CT. The rest of the plaza is owned by Regency Centers Inc. They also own their store at The Buckland Hills Mall. The rest of the Mall except for Macy's and JC Penney is owned by GGP. Macy's owns their own store(s) under the name of May Dept Stores (which was the parent company of Macy's predecessor Filenes)

d_fife

Kmarts in Anderson TOwnship OH, Northport Alabama and Collinsville IL are closing