Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2696076@N25/discuss/72157662683676372/  (ONE OF THEM, IN GREAT BARRINGTON ITS THE ONYL STORE IF ITS KIND FOR 30 miles WHY? its 52,000 sq.ft.
these ones PLUS THE ONES IN THE FEW POSTS ABOVE.

Dothan, AL
Gardendale, AL
Jonesboro, AR
Springdale, AR
Glendale, AZ
Sierra Vista, AZ*
Commerce, CA
Fontana, CA
Indio, CA
Thornton, CO
Inverness, FL
Augusta, GA
Waipahu, HI
Davenport, IA
Chicago, IL
Joliet, IL
Macomb, IL
New Lenox, IL
Tinley Park, IL
Elkhart, IN*
Pikeville, KY
Houma, LA*
New Iberia, LA*
Great Barrington, MA
Alpena, MI*
Fenton, MI
Jackson, MI
Sault Sainte Marie, MI*
Moorhead, MN
West Saint Paul, MN
Thomasville, NC
Kearney, NE*
Cheektowaga, NY
Mentor, OH
Lawton, OK
Burnham, PA
Sioux Falls, SD
Clarksville, TN
Hixson, TN
Nashville, TN
Harlingen, TX*
Lubbock, TX
Salt Lake City, UT
Martinsville, VA
Wytheville, VA
Marysville, WA
Yakima, WA*
Riverton, WY

TheFugitive

Fenton, Michigan is on the closing list, eh?

Are there any discount stores remaining in Fenton?
When I worked the grand opening of the Ames there many years
ago it seemed like a really good market.

jason83080

This Sears/Kmart downward turn has been going on since, what, 2003? That's got to be a record for the longest time any chain has been going out of business, right?

I saw that Kmart's BF ad was leaked today. I almost clicked to read it, but I realized that the only one near me is at least 30-40 minutes away, and that's in good weather. Factor in the potential for snow, and it's just not worth it.

danfifepsu

Quote from: jason83080 on November 09, 2016, 01:13:57 PM
This Sears/Kmart downward turn has been going on since, what, 2003? That's got to be a record for the longest time any chain has been going out of business, right?

I saw that Kmart's BF ad was leaked today. I almost clicked to read it, but I realized that the only one near me is at least 30-40 minutes away, and that's in good weather. Factor in the potential for snow, and it's just not worth it.

this downward turn really has been since 10 years before that. they had 3 waves of closings 1994-1996 too

danfifepsu

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on November 13, 2016, 10:51:53 AM
what year will kmart go out?
Probably next year, after this holiday season. Suppliers are already reportedly curtailing shipments in anticipation of a possible bankruptcy filing.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on November 15, 2016, 04:33:33 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on November 13, 2016, 10:51:53 AM
what year will kmart go out?
Probably next year, after this holiday season. Suppliers are already reportedly curtailing shipments in anticipation of a possible bankruptcy filing.

what of 2018

TheFugitive

I did some shopping in Kmart last evening.
The store was surprisingly well-stocked.
Though very noticeably lacking in customers.

danfifepsu

when will Kmart go 2017 or 2018 and how big media sensation will it be.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on November 23, 2016, 09:22:40 AM

Perhaps the two are connected?  After all, it would seem to be easier to keep a store stocked if less items were being purchased / less customers in the store to mess up the shelves.

TheFugitive

Quote from: BillyGr on November 23, 2016, 12:08:57 PM

Perhaps the two are connected?  After all, it would seem to be easier to keep a store stocked if less items were being purchased / less customers in the store to mess up the shelves.

Perhaps.  The issue with chains who flirt with bankruptcy is that vendors
become reluctant to ship merchandise to them.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 12, 2016, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on November 23, 2016, 12:08:57 PM

Perhaps.  The issue with chains who flirt with bankruptcy is that vendors
become reluctant to ship merchandise to them.

so how soon before Kmart becomes the way of Zayre? wasnt there in the past when Kmart and Zayre were battling each other?  yet Kmart didnt seem to hurt busineses like Walmart in its heyday.

TheFugitive

In the late 80's there was really no comparison between a Kmart store and a Zayre store.

Kmart was at it's peak.  Their stores were clean, staffed and well-stocked.  They held a strong
market share except in the Southeast.

Zayre by comparison was a broken down jalopy.  The stores were dirty, run down, disorganized,
and running atrociously high shrink.  That's why those of us who worked for Ames thought it
very grim news when it was announced that we were acquiring them.

Had we not bought them Zayre likely would have been gone in three to four years anyway.
Peter Hollis, the then-CEO of Ames, threw a lifeline to Zayre, his former company.
They were able to jettison the collapsing discount stores, while hanging on to the TJ Maxx
division, which remains profitable today.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 13, 2016, 09:08:19 AM
In the late 80's there was really no comparison between a Kmart store and a Zayre store.

Kmart was at it's peak.  Their stores were clean, staffed and well-stocked.  They held a strong
market share except in the Southeast.

Zayre by comparison was a broken down jalopy.  The stores were dirty, run down, disorganized,
and running atrociously high shrink.  That's why those of us who worked for Ames thought it
very grim news when it was announced that we were acquiring them.

Had we not bought them Zayre likely would have been gone in three to four years anyway.
Peter Hollis, the then-CEO of Ames, threw a lifeline to Zayre, his former company.
They were able to jettison the collapsing discount stores, while hanging on to the TJ Maxx
division, which remains profitable today.

many of Zayre stores were built in the 60s. why was Presque isle me one of their first, doenst make sense. What was beter Zayre or Ames. I liked Zayre better. of Kmart hwen I was a kid in the 1980s and early 1990s I loved Kmart and felt they were well stocked and cleaner, how its a sinking ship.

TheFugitive

When I was young there was a Zayre store about five minutes from my house in Pittsburgh.
When I worked for Ames I spent six weeks at a Zayre in Jacksonville, Florida during the conversion.

I had worked in several Ames stores and been to many others for inventories, etc.
Hands down no comparison.  Ames stores were far and away the cleaner and more organized.

The lone exception might have been the old G.C. Murphy location in Hillsdale, Mich.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 13, 2016, 11:53:17 AM
When I was young there was a Zayre store about five minutes from my house in Pittsburgh.
When I worked for Ames I spent six weeks at a Zayre in Jacksonville, Florida during the conversion.

I had worked in several Ames stores and been to many others for inventories, etc.
Hands down no comparison.  Ames stores were far and away the cleaner and more organized.

The lone exception might have been the old G.C. Murphy location in Hillsdale, Mich.

some reason I liked Zayre better and I felt it had better quality. many ppl said ames and zayre were about the same.   of Kmart, when did they start going down early 1990s as it seems like in 1994 they started store closings and that.

danfifepsu

Kmart in Geoergetown KY and one in Riverside CA closing, Walden GAlleria and Boulevard mall in Buffalo closng, Padauch closing.   and Charleston WV too

giantsfan2016

Just announced Sears at the Enfield Square Mall is closing. Will the last store to leave the mall please turn off the lights?

retailisking

Here's the total list of this wave of closures; frankly, I'm surprised the list is this small...
http://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-sears-and-kmart-stores-closing-2016-12

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on December 28, 2016, 10:51:47 PM
Here's the total list of this wave of closures; frankly, I'm surprised the list is this small...

more will prob be announced in January and another wave will probably be announced in Spring.   why are their last ones in Orlando and Jacksonville closing?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Marc B on December 28, 2016, 06:13:47 PM
Just announced Sears at the Enfield Square Mall is closing. Will the last store to leave the mall please turn off the lights?

Couldn't find the link at first.
http://www.wfsb.com/story/34143019/sears-in-enfield-square-to-close-next-year

danfifepsu

Quote from: Marc B on December 29, 2016, 12:17:36 AM
Quote from: Marc B on December 28, 2016, 06:13:47 PM

Couldn't find the link at first.
http://www.wfsb.com/story/34143019/sears-in-enfield-square-to-close-next-year

one on salt lake blvd in Oahu island in Hawaii is closing leaving one left and 2 closed last year. 2016 was a BAD YEAR FOR KMART And why that island those stores got remodeled and that.

TheFugitive

Sorry to see Crystal River, Florida on that closing list.  I have been to that store.
It's in a very interesting mall that resembles a circus tent.

I see Weirton, WV is closing too.  Not far from me.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TheFugitive on December 29, 2016, 03:05:16 PM

Sorry to see Crystal River, Florida on that closing list.  I have been to that store.
It's in a very interesting mall that resembles a circus tent.

I see Weirton, WV is closing too.  Not far from me.

why is the one in Crystal river closing? How is that mall and the one in ATtleboro is too    http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/local_news/kmart-in-south-attleboro-to-close/article_332c1f38-cdfc-11e6-ba02-97373a056484.html

danfifepsu

BANGOR MAINE AND ATTLEBORO MASS ARE CLOSING TOO

danfifepsu

store215

Quote from: danfifepsu on December 28, 2016, 11:39:21 PM

more will prob be announced in January and another wave will probably be announced in Spring.   why are their last ones in Orlando and Jacksonville closing?

Rumor is that the CEO is holding out until July because something about him not being liable for shareholder losses? after that time. We will probably see a lot more closures, if not a total liquidation of the company after that time unless something else good or bad happens before that.

danfifepsu

Quote from: store215 on December 29, 2016, 11:43:10 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on December 28, 2016, 11:39:21 PM

Rumor is that the CEO is holding out until July because something about him not being liable for shareholder losses? after that time. We will probably see a lot more closures, if not a total liquidation of the company after that time unless something else good or bad happens before that.

what? where you hear this and they will ahve like at most 720 left after this round.