Daddy's Junky Music

Started by retailisking, August 19, 2011, 01:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The venerable New England musical instrument and accessory chain has hung on though thick and thin, although lately things have gotten a lot thinner, with Daddy's leaning more and more on its online operation while closing its non-core B&M locations.  

http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2011/110614/110614_daddys.html

Just noticed that their Portland, ME location next to Radio Shack in the Pine Tree Shopping Center is now closed.  I hear Dollar Tree is coming to Pine Tree, though it's unlikely it would be at the Daddy's spot as it's only 4,000 sq. ft.  More likely they would be at the former Mardens spot although at 32,700 sq. ft. it's too large for just a Dollar Tree.  Perhaps Centro would subdivide the Mardens location as was done with the former Service Merchandise in South Portland.  Still hoping for OSJL to come there...

ynkeesfn82

There is (was) one on Hartford Road in New Britain, CT. Don't know if it's still there or not. I don't get over that way very often. No need to. I don't go to Westfarms Mall and I don't have a reason to go to that Target when there's one much closer to me in Southington.

retailisking

In CT New Britain (labeled as their "Hartford" store) is still open, as is Orange, but Stamford didn't make the cut.

CTAmeshopper

There's one in West Hartford not sure if it's closing though.  ???

retailisking

The moving truck was outside the Pine Tree location the other day...I guess the closure was so sudden they hadn't even moved out the merchandise.

zayre159

Hi
Here's another sign of the great economy,
This Just in Daddy junky Music to Close all stores.

Daddy's Junky Music, Music, Store BOSTON (CBS) â€" Daddy’s Junky Music is closing its doors for good.

A manager answering the phone at Daddy’s in Dedham said all of the company’s stores are closed for good as of 8p.m. Wednesday night.

Local musicians and people in the event planning industry have been buying and trading in equipment at Daddy’s since the 1970s.

Daddy’s had stores in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Vermont.

From W-B-Z 4 Boston

retailisking

I'm not at all surprised.  There were strong rumors about missed payrolls and other examples of financial distress surrounding the last wave of store closures in the thread I posed about Daddy's.  Here's a good story about how the company went under:
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/937576-196/daddys-junky-music-abruptly-closes-its-12.html

TRJ_22487

It was a nice place....maybe a bit too nice?

Zayre88

Portsmouth NH location is now a Sleepy's mattress store.

retailisking

The former Pine Tree Shopping Center (Portland, ME) location is now a Bath Fitter showroom.

ynkeesfn82

The former Daddy's Junky Music in New Britain, CT (near Target and Westfarms Mall) is now a Korean BBQ Restaurant.

http://newbritainherald.com/articles/2014/01/18/news/doc52db3ebbee9b8682681613.txt