Main Menu

Vinyl Records

Started by TRJ_22487, July 22, 2011, 01:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRJ_22487

I have found these to pop up tons of defunct stores. I've seen Bradlees, Caldor, Record Town, Sam Goody, and many others. I bought this one today from 1982.

NJxxJon

Yep some melted in my mess in my office. Some I saw weeks ago at a yard sale......and some are on Craigslist...
JN

TRJ_22487

From 1964....it's worth hundreds

TRJ_22487

I bought this David Bowie 45 single of Blue Jean from 1984 a few weeks ago

TRJ_22487

Few more from my personal collection

TRJ_22487

TRJ_22487

Here's one from my collection that should get interest (hate this album, disco ugh)
What on earth does the N behind the Ames logo signify? I've never seen that anywhere before.
Album is from 1977

BillyGr

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on March 22, 2012, 05:52:16 PM
Here's one from my collection that should get interest (hate this album, disco ugh)
What on earth does the N behind the Ames logo signify? I've never seen that anywhere before.
Album is from 1977

Any chance that it's a later date?

Ames acquired a chain called Big N (which would be the logical source of the N marking), but (at least via Wikipedia) that wasn't until November of 1978 (unless of course that information is wrong) - though even on here it says growth from 1978-1988.

Otherwise, no idea.

TRJ_22487

Well the album was released in 1977 but this copy could surely be from a year or two later. Thanks for the guesses, that is a possibility. Most likely you're right. It's as if they were mocking the chain they bought out by putting their logo literally on top of theirs haha. However the only Big N logo I have ever seen (there were a few christmas records released specifically for their store) the N has a different font than this one.

TRJ_22487

Another from my collection. I like the oddball price.

TRJ_22487

Another from my collection. Album is from 1977.

swedaman

Album is from 1977

During the Big N acquisition, everything was logo'd with the Ames/N logo. The jingle even went "The savings are amazing at Ames, Big N" during that time. The price sticker is interesting because it has a full eight digit SKU on it. I think Ames converted to the IBM 3680 system in 80 or 81.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: TRJ_22487 on March 23, 2012, 01:55:12 PM
Another from my collection. I like the oddball price.

Do you think Bradlees is the only store to use those Dept. 26 stickers?i own a bunch of 8-Tracks with that same sticker on them

TRJ_22487

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on July 16, 2012, 11:42:03 AM
Do you think Bradlees is the only store to use those Dept. 26 stickers?i own a bunch of 8-Tracks with that same sticker on them

I think so. I've seen many other identical records that were missing the separate Bradlees tag, but they all had the same Dept 26 sticker, so I'm sure they are all from Bradlees. All the ones that looked that way seemed to be late 70's/early 80's

TRJ_22487

This one was bought by my mother a few years before I was born and tucked away, and now I have it.

TRJ_22487

Capitol Records "Greatest Music Ever Sold" campaign during 1976 - Caldor label from 1976

TRJ_22487

Longtime residents of New England or New York should remember Lechmere, which closed in November 1997.
The only ones I can remember going to a few times were in Manchester and Nashua, NH, but I feel like I have been to others in Massachusetts or Connecticut as well.  

Well if you don't remember them, the 1988 corporate video has been dug up on Youtube that shows off the entire Danvers, Mass store and some of the Liberty Tree Mall, which still exists, though the Lechmere was demolished in 1998.
Really cool to look at. This is before Montgomery Ward bought them out and ran them into the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Z_2XZ4KY

In this shot from then and 2009, you can see the hall area still looks very much the same!

This particular store #003 also has a Facebook page with literally dozens of photos from the 70's to the late 90's
But most of the photos seem to come from the same era that this video was shot, or even earlier!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lechmere-003/108905319133994?sk=photos_stream

Lechmere and Filene's Basement were anchor stores of the mall until 1997 when they were demolished and rebuilt into Target, Staples, Dollar Tree and Best Buy in 1998/1999. An f.y.e. replaced part of an area of smaller stores, converting them into a music store/video arcade (formerly Dream Machine), both of which have since closed. Another group of stores was converted to Bed Bath & Beyond.

Ann & Hope closed its 211,300-square-foot (19,630 m2) store in 2001 due to poor sales. It was later rebuilt into Kohl's. Stop & Shop and Pier 1 Imports were later built to the left of Kohl's. A Loews Theatres 20-screen multiplex was also added to the mall.

In January 2008, Stop & Shop closed. The 91,000-square-foot (8,500 m2) store was originally built in 2003.[1] The former Stop & Shop space was converted for use by Nordstrom Rack and Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse, which opened in November 2008.[2] In 2009, the former f.y.e. was replaced by a Steve & Barry's, but only operated briefly until the company's bankruptcy. This location featured a more modern design compared to other locations.

Here is a Duran Duran record I have with a Lechmere sticker.
Fun Fact: Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown was arrested at the Liberty Tree Mall location (shown above) for shoplifting vinyl record LP's! It is in his autobiography.

TRJ_22487

I bought some 45's on eBay, and the seller sent them to me with the correct sleeves wrapped separately, and the records came inside of these spare sleeves they had lying around. I have no idea what records these sleeves originally belonged to unfortunately, but that 94 cent one must be an SS Kresge sticker, right? I've never seen one in person before.

retailfan

actually it could be either mart also used the ssk logo  in the early days as I have several things from k-mart  of my moms
I don't believe Kresgee was ever in Anderson  at least not at the time these items were purchased

BillyGr

Quote from: retailfan on June 09, 2013, 04:36:05 PM
actually it could be either mart also used the ssk logo  in the early days as I have several things from k-mart  of my moms
I don't believe Kresgee was ever in Anderson  at least not at the time these items were purchased

That would make sense, since it was still the SS Kresge Corporation for some time, even after many Kmart stores were opened, before they decided to change the corporate name to Kmart Corporation as that division took over as the main sales force of the company.

TRJ_22487

Once upon a time you could buy a movie soundtrack for $.50

TRJ_22487

Here's another I bought yesterday

TheFugitive

We had already quit selling vinyl records when I joined Ames in the late 1980's.
Though they were available at other chains for a few more years.

Lots and lots of cassette tapes though.  Those Handleman reps were just about the
hardest working guys in show business.

Stork of The Weak

What's up with CD albums that were originally on vinyl listing the copyright date that the album was converted to CD, but not the original copyright date? For example, I have "The John Lennon Collection" on CD and it lists a date of 1989, but the songs and cover art are completely unchanged from the original 1982 vinyl release.

But also, it can be irritating that CD albums originally on vinyl will sometimes list the original copyright year, but not the year the album was converted to CD. For example, "Rod Stewart Greatest Hits" copies on both vinyl and CD list the original 1979 date.

Ames303

Album is from 1977

That was the logo Ames used during the Big N take over.  I remember the radio jingles singing, "The savings are amazing at Ames, Big N, the savings are amazing at Ames, Big N"

Ames303

Album is from 1977

During the Big N acquisition, that was the Ames logo used on everything, aisle signs, bags, price stickers.  It was the Big N logo with the Ames logo on top of it.  I can easily remember seeing that all over our Ames store in 1978-1979.

TheFugitive

The figures are in, and for the first time since 1987 vinyl records actually outsold CD's in 2022.

https://metv.com/stories/vinyl-records-outsell-cds-for-the-first-time-since-1987

Brammy

Yep. Never thought I would see the day when stores like Walmart and Target would have a bigger vinyl section than CD section.
The Real Brammy

TheFugitive

Quote from: Brammy on March 20, 2023, 02:48:57 PMYep. Never thought I would see the day when stores like Walmart and Target would have a bigger vinyl section than CD section.

I've already seen it.  Then again, I'm old.  ;)

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on March 21, 2023, 09:13:56 AM
Quote from: Brammy on March 20, 2023, 02:48:57 PMYep. Never thought I would see the day when stores like Walmart and Target would have a bigger vinyl section than CD section.

I've already seen it.  Then again, I'm old.  ;)

That may also depend on location - given the original poster is in CT, where Walmart and Target are more recent stores (probably mid 1990's at the earliest, similar to this area of NY around Albany), by the time those stores arrived, CD's or other forms were likely the leader.