Phar-Mor/Drug Emporium

Started by Caldor1999, May 08, 2005, 06:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

a druge store dont know much about the outher then there closed hears a picture of there store
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

truviking05

I know what became of 2 Phar-Mors in my area...one was a Books-a-Million and is now a Big Lots, and the other is a TJ Maxx/Office Maxx. I have clear preschooler memories of the pharmacies of these stores, and of buying crayons and Care Bear merchandise there :)

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

GOB sale at Phar-Mor back in 2002
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

this store was bult in 1988
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Ames_Corp

Pharmore was kinda like a discount department store only more twards, food, t-shirts, pharmacy and supplies. The one my g'ma worked at in Mesa Arizona sold housewares and such. One of there slogans was, Why pay more?  They had price stickers that had the competitions price and the Phar-More price.  I miss that store.  Many turned into Wal-Marts

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
How come I never heard of Phar-Mor?

I live in Connecticut Where were  Phar-Mor stores located?

Only one Phar-Mor (actually, it looks like it was branded "Pharmhouse/The Rx Place, which was another banner of Phar-Mor) store in CT according to an Archived store locater.

Enfield
Store #535
Enfield Commons S/C
25 Hazard Avenue
Enfield, CT 06082

Archived webpage:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010414032548/www.pharmor.com/index.phtml

tokensafari

My Phar-Mor, which was a Mall anchor, became a Dicks Sporting Goods

amesman

Her's the former New Hartford, New York Phar - Mor. Next time I go through this area, I'll get a better pic.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Her's the former New Hartford, New York Phar - Mor. Next time I go through this area, I'll get a better pic.

cool pic try and get one through the window if u can next time:)
Caldor Forever!

HoJofan206

I never knew they had "super" Pharmoor's.  The one we had here in town didnt look like any of those show in the pics.  They must not have had a specific building look to them.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
I never knew they had "super" Pharmoor's.  The one we had here in town didnt look like any of those show in the pics.  They must not have had a specific building look to them.

Super PharMors had things like produce, isles of frozen food, office supplies, etc...

I think this is where they went wrong. They were trying to turn into a "supermarket" while not paying attention to other growing Pharmacy chains like CVS and especially Walgreens.

tokensafari

Possibly, they added freezers and more grocery items to their anchor store a year or so before they went out. They strayed away from the pharmacy image and tried to focus more on being a  grocery store. I think it was a good concept had they had done it earlier. They were a little too late on the call.

backofthebtmdrwr

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

This PharMor is now gone. They went ahead and revamped the whole Plaza, and have yet to name a new tenant. As of Right now, there is a Indoor Used Car lot inside what would have been the Former PharMor store, that'll be out in the Spring. The Redeveloper claims to have a "Good-Sized" Tenant named for the Plaza, but aren't in a hurry to announce who it is.

Crystal

QuoteOriginally posted by backofthebtmdrwr
i miss phar mor

Me too. Our old Phar-Mor is now a Ross Dress-For-Less.

beau99

I miss going to Phar-Mor.

Granted, I've been 2000 miles away since 1995, I remember that Phar-Mor's original concept was excellent.

A pharmacy, grocery store, and video rental store, all in one. Too bad the company had a cheapskate for an owner, otherwise it would probably be a huge regional chain today.

beau99

This is inside what used to be Phar-Mor at Cedar Knoll Galleria, near where I used to live (From abandonedonline.com)

Anonymous

Phar-Mor's first location was in Niles, OH.  It is now a flea market.  Micky Monus (founder and CEO) was charged and convicted in Federal Court.  I think it was tax evasion.  That was when the trouble started.  It broke into a full fledged scandal.  There were accounts of all kinds of mismanagement.  Monus also owned the Youngstown Pride, a professional basketball team.  He also had partial ownership in the league.  The entire league was folded when the scandal broke.  Phar-Mor was also instrumental in getting the LPGA to hold a tournament in the area.  Giant Eagle assumed sponsorship after Phar-Mor folded.  The tournament is now known as the Youngstown-Warren LPGA classic.

After Monus was convicted, a new CEO was named.  The damage was already done.  Only a handful of stores are being used in the Warren-Youngstown area.  Most sit vacant.

This brief history is from memory and is to the best of my knowledge.

Anonymous

I live in Springfield , PA (Delaware County) and I am 12. I have never been to Phar-Mor, but I know the one in Downingtown (Chester County) has become a Stein Mart.

Anonymous

I am perhaps the youngest poster, because I am 12. I live in Springfield, PA (Delaware County) and I never have been to Phar-Mor but I know that the Super Phar-Mor in Downingtown (Chester County) is now a Stein Mart.

d_fife

what happeend to the chain and what was it? I remember hearing there ws one in warwick RI (probably the only one in new england) and there was one in whitehall pa.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
what happeend to the chain and what was it? I remember hearing there ws one in warwick RI (probably the only one in new england) and there was one in whitehall pa.

this wasa chain simaler to cvs some stores sold food i never been to one though they dident have many stores in NY
Caldor Forever!

KyleRF

Anonymous

If anyone here knows, did Phar-Mor have a store brand called "Q&V?"

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

this wasa chain simaler to cvs some stores sold food i never been to one though they dident have many stores in NY

It was?? It was similar to CVS in that it sold the same type of products, ranging from drugs to juice, to nail polish remover, but that's about it. CVS is much classier than a Pharmor was. Here's an analogy that'll explain it, because I cannot think up another Chain that can be compared to Pharmor:

Compare Caldor to a Zayres
That's how a CVS is to a Pharmor

The one I saw was just a remnant of the old Nichols and Pharmhouse stores.