Phar-Mor/Drug Emporium

Started by Caldor1999, May 08, 2005, 06:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
Was PharMor's logo a cow?

The only logo I have seen for PharMor is the red with the Yellow PharMor. However, PharMor's Predecessor (Pharmhouse) used cows in their radio commercials.

Anonymous

Caldor1999, where was the Phar-Mor in the picture you posted? It looks like an old Penn Fruit with the domed roof. Could you find out more about that one for me?

KyleRF

I remember Pharmhouse in the Ledgewood Mall then.

KyleRF

Anonymous

Caldor1999, why do you have no idea how to write at your age?

Anonymous

Caldor1999, could you please put a copy of the Phar-Mor from your starting post (the one in Stratford, NJ) on my Penn Fruit page in the grocery section of the site?

Anonymous

Powersbt, I can think of one chain that can be compared to Phar-Mor: Drug Emporium.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Powersbt, I can think of one chain that can be compared to Phar-Mor: Drug Emporium.

Never seen one of those, but I'll definitely take your word for it. I just had nothing that I had seen that I could compare it with.

beachgal26

I hope that I can help out with some background info on both of these fine stores.  Phar-Mor stores were open from 1982 until an embezzlement scheme by one of the owners caused them to file for bankruptcy in 1992 and begin to close their stores.  They had a great variety of items with really good prices and were in great locations with nice employees and clean, well-lit stores.

Drug Emporium stores were a bit smaller, but still had a good variety of some lesser-known brands and their own line of food items, spices, etc.  They filed for bankruptcy in 2003 and operated mostly in northern states such as PA, NJ, OH and WI.

StarSage

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
How come I never heard of Phar-Mor?

I live in Connecticut Where were  Phar-Mor stores located?

Only one Phar-Mor (actually, it looks like it was branded "Pharmhouse/The Rx Place, which was another banner of Phar-Mor) store in CT according to an Archived store locater.

Actually, if memory serves... Pharmhouse was actually an endeavor by the parent company of what were once the Nicholl's Department stores. The Nicholl's in Gang Mills, NY (near Corning) became a Pharmhouse, as did the Nicholl's in Horseheads, NY (near Elmira) whose building was shortly occupied by a Zayre's, then became a Pharmhouse. The latter of course was located only a few miles from the Big Flats Hill's (that later became an Ames).

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by StarSage
QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
How come I never heard of Phar-Mor?

I live in Connecticut Where were  Phar-Mor stores located?

Only one Phar-Mor (actually, it looks like it was branded "Pharmhouse/The Rx Place, which was another banner of Phar-Mor) store in CT according to an Archived store locater.

Actually, if memory serves... Pharmhouse was actually an endeavor by the parent company of what were once the Nicholl's Department stores. The Nicholl's in Gang Mills, NY (near Corning) became a Pharmhouse, as did the Nicholl's in Horseheads, NY (near Elmira) whose building was shortly occupied by a Zayre's, then became a Pharmhouse. The latter of course was located only a few miles from the Big Flats Hill's (that later became an Ames).

That's correct. You can add New Hartford and Herkimer Nichols to your list that became Pharmhouses after Nichols shut down.

amesman

where was the Herkimer Phar - Mor/Pharmhouse?

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
where was the Herkimer Phar - Mor/Pharmhouse?

If you took Route 28 North out of Herkimer. Hannaford would be on your right, the plaza would be on your left. P&C used to be in there too. I think Bargain Outlet took up the former Pharmhouse space.

amesman

powersbt

okay, thanks!

Not a problem.

store215

Various phar mor stuff:

the front and back of a Phar Mor brand bottle of baby powder I found (this is at least 12 years old as we haven't shopped at Phar Mor since around 1993)

The PharMor "buying power" was the logo they used on their carts.

And there is a blurry shot of a price sticker taken off something else

amesman

Powersbt, is this the old Herkimer Phar-Mor?

amesman

Here's some more pics of the Utica/New Hartford Phar-Mor taken last August. I just forgot to post them..hehe

Here's the outer sign.

amesman

amesman

powersbt

No, Amesman, that wasn't the Plaza in Herkimer that I was referring to. I can see how you thought that that would have been the location. The Pharmor in Herkimer was in the Plaza where Grossmann's Bargain Outlet is. Not sure what else is there. There was the P&C, but that shut down.

The photo you took of the Eckerds brings up another point. To the left of it would be a Bassett Healthcare center. This was a former Great American. The Hannaford, and finally the Wal Mart Supercenter down the road, did this store in. Same held true for the P&C.

One other thing Amesman. Your location of the Pharmor in the New Hartford Plaza is incorrect. If you were looking at the plaza straight on, the Pharmor was all the way to the right. What you photographed was what was most recently some kind of Parts business (United Auto Supply) similar to an Autozone, or Partsplace. It was the last tenant to be in the plaza prior to the remodel.

Inside shot.

amesman

man, I'm just full of mistakes..hehe. Thank you for the correction. I'll have another chance in September to get it right. I guess I'm out of luck for the old Utica Phar-Mor though, right?

powersbt

At this point yes. There was a used indoor Car Sale during this Winter in the former Pharmor. I didn't go there, so I don't know if they remodeled the interior to it yet or not.

man, I'm just full of mistakes..hehe. Thank you for the correction. I'll have another chance in September to get it right. I guess I'm out of luck for the old Utica Phar-Mor though, right?

david121

Was this the same chain as Pharmhouse? I miss them... I remember renting Sega Genesis games there a lot back in the day.

When did they close in Watertown, NY and open? Plus what was the tiny store that was right next to it, which is now a Tractor Supply store? I remember it was sesonal... Q&V?

The Adamantium Elbow

I remember as a kid we would rent movies and video games at Phar-Mor all the time. It was great because they would let you rent up to 6 movies or video games at a time whereas other places like Giant Eagle only let you rent 3.

We just about never went to Blockbuster since they were the most expensive

Jonah Norason

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
G O B sale at Phar-Mor

Funny, that picture you had posted up there looked like a Target cart.

MikeRa

Out here in the Philadelphia area, we had 3 Phar-Mor/Pharmhouse/Rx Place stores:

[list=1]
  • Franklin Mills Mall (Opened in 1987.  Closed when Phar-Mor went out of business)
  • Levittown Shopping Center (Opened as Rx Place)
  • Bradlees Plaza, Strattford, NJ (Opened as Rx Place.  located in a former Penn Fruit Company building)
  • [/list=1]

:yup:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
  • Bradlees Plaza, Stratford, NJ (Opened as Rx Place.  located in a former Penn Fruit Company building)
  • [/list=1]

:yup:
Now a Goodwill Store