Started by Caldor1999, May 08, 2005, 06:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

Quote from: C. Fontaine on June 14, 2010, 05:21:15 PM
Quote from: TRJ22487 on May 19, 2010, 06:06:18 AM
Quote from: C. Fontaine on May 18, 2010, 08:51:20 AM
Just built one near me in Keene, NH.

Headed towards West Swanzey/Winchester
The former Circuit City was originally rumored to be the new location of Market Basket a few years back
But they built a new location on the outskirts of the city instead
That's right, around the bend from the Humane Society!  Are you from the area?

they want to put one in MAnchester on elm st near Murphy's Tapon (I go there a lot) Ad why is Market BAsket opening stores like this?

Valerie

Just shopped at the new one in Keene, AWESOME prices! Can't complain about that

jmcnamara96

Quote from: Valerie on June 15, 2010, 07:55:36 PM
Just shopped at the new one in Keene, AWESOME prices! Can't complain about that

Thats why i love (DeMoulas) Market Basket

gu4ever

The former Bradlees and Stop&Shop combo store that opened in the 60's on Elm Street in Manchester, NH will once again be turning into a retail location. Market Basket is to aquire this property and convert it into a grocery store during the summer/fall 2010. This will be a great asset to the people that live downtown.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Zayre88

Quote from: gu4ever on July 03, 2010, 01:05:12 AM
The former Bradlees and Stop&Shop combo store that opened in the 60's on Elm Street in Manchester, NH will once again be turning into a retail location. Market Basket is to aquire this property and convert it into a grocery store during the summer/fall 2010. This will be a great asset to the people that live downtown.

I always wondered what was that building before.  It really looks like a former retail store transformed into a small industry.  So this was a Bradlees and Stop&Shop!

jmcnamara96

There building and redoing ther stores like
Salem NH DeMoulas tour and rebuit
Lounderry NH taking over the old Sears/Marshalls
Just opened in Epping
Soon there will be one in Manchester

retailisking

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1091526446/Demoulas-presents-plans-to-expand-stores-in-Seabrook

Edit 1/21/11: Market Basket has cancelled their plans for one of the supermarkets citing NH red tape and expense.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20110120-NEWS-110129982

zayre159

The New Market Basket has been open in Salem N.H. about 3 weeks now.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: zayre159 on January 28, 2011, 10:18:46 AM

And for the time being the location it's supposed to replace will remain open.

retailisking

Are they really gonna close the 'old' location, or keep it open like they have done in Seabrook?

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on January 28, 2011, 04:40:36 PM
Are they really gonna close the 'old' location, or keep it open like they have done in Seabrook?

Part of my in-laws live in Salem and one of them says that they'd keep both open since the market could bear both. With Shaws at risk and so expensive, the older store can survive without the bells and whistles of the new location.

gu4ever

And here is a picture of the outside of the brand new Market Basket.... Very impressive store design and layout. The company kept the same flow of departments however they are greatly expanded and in the front corner near the checkouts and bakery is the new "Market Cafe".
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

jmcnamara96

Yea drove up to Lounderry yesterday they had started building the new on in the old Sears/Kmart

Zayre88

Quote from: gu4ever on February 22, 2011, 01:17:45 AM
And here is a picture of the outside of the brand new Market Basket.... Very impressive store design and layout. The company kept the same flow of departments however they are greatly expanded and in the front corner near the checkouts and bakery is the new "Market Cafe".

Nice store!!

retailisking

Londonderry is just about complete - here's a photo from late April (source: Eagle-Tribune).  It's supposed to open in June.

retailisking

Coverage of the Londonderry opening; the Union Leader article links to a YouTube posting which I will list separately as Union Leader stories expire online.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110605/NEWS02/110609932/0/FRONTPAGE

Opening of mega Market Basket in Londonderry draws thousands

"There were such waves of people that hit at first," operations manager David McLean said Sunday of the Market Basket at 5 Garden Lane off Rt. 102. McLean estimates more than 5,000 customers will pass through the doors today. A typical Sunday might draw about 3,000 shoppers, he said.

LONDONDERRY - Shoppers mobbed the new Market Basket supermarket in Londonderry even before it officially opened its doors for the 7 a.m. grand opening Sunday.

An estimated 200 to 300 people formed the first surge, prompting store managers to temporarily close doors before allowing another eager wave of customers inside, said David McLean, operations manager of the Market Basket at 5 Garden Lane off Route 102.

"There were such waves of people that hit at first," he said.

"It was just a steady stream of cars and people coming in to the building. We took the liberty to close the doors just to let some people get out," McLean said.

Registers never stopped ringing since the first shopper was let in the door early at 6:15 a.m., McLean said.

The 108,000-square-foot supermarket is the largest Market Basket in New Hampshire, McLean said.

It replaces a 51,000-square-foot store located in the same plaza that shut its doors at 7 p.m. Saturday.

He estimated a total 5,000 shoppers would pass through the store by day’s end at 7 p.m.

A typical Sunday draws about 3,000 shoppers, he said.

Londonderry Police Sgt. Mike McCutcheon said "traffic was crazy," but under control.

"It was like Christmas," he said of the crowds.

The enlarged store also features a sit-down cafe and prepared foods section, McLean said.

"This is the type of store we build now," McLean said.

A new Market Basket slated to open in Hooksett at summer’s end and another planned for downtown Manchester will follow this model, he said.

In April, Bedford planners approved a Market Basket for the intersection of Route 114 and Donald Street.

But Hannaford Bros. Co. has sued the town over the square footage of the proposed Market Basket, arguing that the Zoning Board acted improperly when it granted a variance that allowed the store to nearly double the square footage allowed for commercial buildings.

The suit alleges the zoning board’s decision discriminates among area businesses.

In December 2008, Hannaford opened a 36,541-square-foot store at Route 101 and Jenkins Road in Bedford.

As for the prospect of a new store bringing crowds to Bedford, Town Manager Russell Marcoux said Sunday night he was undaunted.

"Any business that’s going to open and bring those kinds of crowds is going to be great for the economy," he said. "We look forward to it when it happens here."

New Hampshire Union Leader Staff Writer Ted Siefer contributed to this report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zh_HPQp0Z0

Zayre88

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on November 15, 2010, 03:04:49 PM
Just opened in Epping

Any word on when it will open in Manchester?  I went to the Epping location, nice store!  I think they should renovate and expand the Portsmouth location (K-mart plaza).

jmcnamara96

Quote from: Zayre88 on June 06, 2011, 09:35:37 PM
Just opened in Epping

Any word on when it will open in Manchester?  I went to the Epping location, nice store!  I think they should renovate and expand the Portsmouth location (K-mart plaza).

i heard Manch will open in Mid 2012

retailisking

Overstock/closeout grocery items turn up in the strangest places; in this case, at a Grocery Outlet in California.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on August 14, 2011, 10:23:37 AM
Overstock/closeout grocery items turn up in the strangest places; in this case, at a Grocery Outlet in California.

Yeah, last summer our Ocean State Job Lot had a special aisle with all kinds of cookout needs - I think every "Paper goods" (like cups, plates, silverware etc.) had a different store brand logo on it - some from local stores (Stop & Shop being one - probably leftover stoplight logo items) and some from other parts of the country (I remember HEB which is Texas?).

retailisking

Here we go again - the feuding Demoulas family is back in court, this time over a failed investment
http://supermarketnews.com/news/demoulas_court_0826/?cid=upd
http://bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1361181

retailisking

Hooksett, NH is now open...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110921/NEWS02/709219961

New Market Basket opens early for eager shoppers

By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent
Published Sep 21, 2011 at 10:01 am

The parking lot was filled by 7 a.m. for the grand opening of the 80,000-square-feet supermarket employing about 400 workers.

HOOKSETT - Early birds filled the aisles of the new Market Basket supermarket about 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday, taking advantage of grand opening specials and incentives.

“You cannot beat these prices. I am fully going to take advantage of this,” said Sue Gancarz of Hooksett, who filled two grocery carts and spent about $350 in groceries, toiletries and cleaning products. “We are a society of convenience, and this is just ideal for me.”

At the checkout line, her cart was filled with pounds of chicken, ground beef, lobsters, steamers, haddock and more at reduced costs.

The doors of the new Market Basket off of Exit 10 were scheduled to open around 7 a.m., but cars were in the parking lot well before that, prompting the manager to officially open the store a little early.

“We just ushered them in,” said Ray Castles, the store manager.

The parking lot was filled by 7 a.m. with hungry shoppers anxious to checkout the new 80,000-square-feet supermarket employing about 400 workers.

Seafood seemed to be a popular choice for many shoppers, who were spending $3.99 a pound for lobster, $2.99 a pound for sirloin and $1.99 a pound for deli cheese.

“This is what I expect at Market Basket,” said Ron Cain of Manchester, who was previously traveling to the Londonderry or Concord Market Basket facilities to shop.

Everyone was raving about the prices.

Susan Querze of Manchester said she has been waiting years for a Market Basket to open closer to her home. She maintained at least 70 percent of the products at Market Basket are cheaper than the same items at other grocery chains.

“This is better than winning the lottery,” she said while browsing the bakery of the new store. “Hopefully other stores will get on the band wagon and reduce their prices like this.”

The Hooksett store is the 64th Market Basket to open, according to David McLean, operations manager for DeMoulas. It features a sushi bar, fresh-made pizza bar, Market's Cafe, Market's Kitchen and an in-house coffee shop with cafe tables and free wifi service.

McLean expected up to 6,000 people to walk through the supermarket on Wednesday, and said he received a lot of positive feedback about the design of the store and its products.

Norman Milliard Sr. of Hooksett described the store as impressive, saying he could continue shopping all morning.

“I was one of the first ones here today. This store is so great for the Hooksett area,” he said. “I'm so happy with it.”

Zayre88

Will Market Basket ever expand into Maine? Vermont?

They have great selection and prices, it would work for sure even though Maine is Hannaford country and has Shaw's.  Vermont has a lot of Price Choppers and Shaw's.

retailisking

In the near term it makes a lot more sense for Market Basket to fill gaps in their existing footprint (e.g. Greater Manchester) and to renovate and expand their existing stores as needed.  Expansion into Maine and Vermont will largely depend on what happens with Shaw's; I doubt Hannaford or Price Chopper are going anywhere.  Additionally, the invasion of ALDI and Dollar General will have ramifications for all supermarkets with a strong price image like Market Basket.

Zayre88

Quote from: Zayre88 on June 06, 2011, 09:35:37 PM

I think they should renovate and expand the Portsmouth location (K-mart plaza).

It's strange that the Portsmouth Market Basket has not been renovated or expanded yet.  That location is so busy, the parking lot is nearly full at any time of day.

I just thought about something, it's quite possible that Demoulas is waiting for Kmart to close just like what happened to the Sears-Kmart in Londonderry.  Portsmouth's Kmart is old and dated and I have rarely seen more than 30 cars parked in front of the store.  Yes it survives but i'm sure Demoulas is betting on it closing at some point to build a new store while the old one remains open!

retailisking

I'm sure Market Basket would entertain moving to the Kmart in the Marshall's (Portsmouth) Plaza if Kmart vacates but that creates a new problem - what to do with the now-former Market Basket storefront.  They'd probably have to subdivide it for it to be marketable.  I wouldn't count on Kmart moving out anytime soon, but who knows - maybe they'll pull a Montgomery Ward and exit the region all at once.

retailisking

Market Basket made #7 among all grocery chains in the country in the Consumer Reports poll. I think I've figured out the key to their success, and it goes beyond price (and besides, if price was all that critical in CR's rankings Walmart wouldn't have ranked dead last.) I went to the Rochester, NH location on a Saturday afternoon this weekend and the place was packed. Every register was open, and on the PA there was an announcement that one of their baggers was celebrating his 18th birthday and to visit him at register #5 to congratulate him. When's the last time you've heard an announcement of that nature in any store of any sort?

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on April 15, 2012, 10:57:46 PM
Market Basket made #7 among all grocery chains in the country in the Consumer Reports poll. I think I've figured out the key to their success, and it goes beyond price (and besides, if price was all that critical in CR's rankings Walmart wouldn't have ranked dead last.) I went to the Rochester, NH location on a Saturday afternoon this weekend and the place was packed. Every register was open, and on the PA there was an announcement that one of their baggers was celebrating his 18th birthday and to visit him at register #5 to congratulate him. When's the last time you've heard an announcement of that nature in any store of any sort?

I always liked MB but I feel they're better than ever.  They have competitive prices, great selection and the stores are packed.  This means that they're good.  The renovated stores also are very nice.  They're larger but still have that old school Market Basket feeling.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Zayre88 on April 16, 2012, 11:13:41 AM
Quote from: retailisking on April 15, 2012, 10:57:46 PM

I always liked MB but I feel they're better than ever.  They have competitive prices, great selection and the stores are packed.  This means that they're good.  The renovated stores also are very nice.  They're larger but still have that old school Market Basket feeling.

I wonder if they'll ever go into CT?

retailisking

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120419/NEWS02/704199953

Queen City Market Basket opens Tuesday

Published Apr 19, 2012 at 3:00 am (Updated Apr 18, 2012)   

Don Hird of New England Traffic Safety Lines installs signs at the parking lot of the new Manchester Market Basket on Wednesday.
(MARK HAYWARD/UNION LEADER)

MANCHESTER â€" The latest Demoulas Market Basket is expected to open Tuesday on Elm Street, the second-largest supermarket in the grocery store chain, a company official said.

On Wednesday, shelves were already stocked with non-perishable dry goods.

Workers were putting finishing touches on the outside and interior of the store, which is located on the site of a former Rockwell Automation factory.

The store has 21 aisles and about an equal number of cash registers.

Mayor Ted Gatsas, who will be on hand for the 8 a.m. ribbon cutting Tuesday, predicted the store will cause a renaissance in the south end of Elm Street. And the editor of a Massachusetts-based magazine that monitors the grocery business predicted lower prices in grocery stores throughout the city.

“They (Market Basket) are going to be the low price leader,” said Mike Berger of the Griffin Report of Food Marketing. “There's going to be a price war between all of these stores. Who wins, I don't know.”

The Elm Street supermarket is about 90,000 square feet, second-largest in the chain, said Jay Rainville, director of operations for Demoulas Super Markets Inc. Construction and site work costs amounted to $9.2 million, according to building permits. The figure does not include site acquisition.

Market Basket stores in Hooksett and Londonderry may see a fall off in some business as Manchester residents elect to shop at a closer location, he said.

Other supermarkets may also see empty aisles next week.

Hannaford, Shaw's and Stop & Shop all have supermarkets in the Manchester area. Stop & Shop has a supermarket about a half-mile from the new Market Basket.

The opening is not being ignored.

“To be honest with you, we certainly prepare our store, any store, for any competitive opening,” said Judy Palmer, spokesman for Stop & Shop. She would not discuss details about the preparation.

She said Stop & Shop successfully competes with Market Basket stores on the North Shore and Fall River areas of Massachusetts.

Gatsas said grocery stores are a key component to neighborhood revitalization.

“It's going to explode the south end of Elm Street,” he said. Buildings across Elm Street will be redeveloped, as will property further south.

Gatsas said his office receives more calls about the Market Basket opening than any other topic.