Naugatuck Valley Mall

Started by CTAmeshopper, July 28, 2010, 07:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTAmeshopper

I don't feel like making a whole paragraph description on this mall so I'll add this link to something I already written up about it.

http://www.mallmemories.com/pmwiki.php/Main/NaugatuckValleyMall

Anybody else have memories of this place?

ynkeesfn82

My family and I went to Naugatuck Valley Mall once. I remember it vaguely. Not only did some of the stores from NVM move to the new mall so of other neighboring stores did too. Toys R Us and Barnes and Noble both on the opposite side of Wolcott Street from The Naugatuck Valley Mall move to the new mall. Both are in the Brass Mill Commons the strip mall adjacent to The Brass Mill Mall. The Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center which replace NVM is huge. What I don't get is why the shopping center in front of the plaza still has the name Mall-View Plaza.

scottw73

I remember going to Mc Crory's to shop and to eat in their restaurant, and I also remember in the middle of the mall there was a huge light tower that actually worked. there was also a JoAnn's Nut House Kiosk in the center that I used to get candy from.  I also think at one point there was a Hickory Farms.

CTAmeshopper

Yes I remember the old Toys R Us as well, it was the old style that a miss dearly. If I remember correctly Edwards which later became Shaws also moved to the Brass Mill Commons. I think the new mall was the final nail in the coffin that killed it, once all the stores fled the mall to the newer one there was no more reason for the mall to exist.

scottw73

If I remember correctly where the old toys r us was, before it was Edwards,that space was home to a EJ Korvettes, and where PETCO is was a Chuck E Cheese

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: scottw73 on July 29, 2010, 09:45:24 PM
If I remember correctly where the old toys r us was, before it was Edwards,that space was home to a EJ Korvettes, and where PETCO is was a Chuck E Cheese

Maybe. Can't confirm or deny, I don't know much about Waterbury (except don't go there after dark, LOL), but I can say Chuck E Cheese is now in the Mattatuck Plaza where Saver's and Big Lots is. Saver/Big Lots is the old Shoprite which moved into the old Price Chopper which was the Edwards/Shaws.

Let me tell you something about Shaw's. I worked in their Bristol and Southington stores from 2001 until 2006 right before they closed. (I got out 5 months before they closed). Although at that point (2001) The Waterbury store had already moved to the Brass Mill Commons, I was told they never intended on remaining on Wolcott Street in the old Edwards. They bought the old Edward's in Waterbury to get a head start on serving customers in Waterbury. They planned all along to be part of The Brass Mill Commons, but there were several delays in getting construction of The Mall and The Commons Completed so when the opportunity came up to buy some of the old Edwards locations they snapped up Waterbury so they could get their store open in Waterbury right away. (Some of the other Edwards they bought were Southington and West Hartford).

I also have to commend the landlord of what's now Shoprite Plaza.  They did a terrific job rehabing the plaza. I vaguely remember what an eyesore it was. It was ridiculous. The beautiful (by comparison) Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center on one side of Wolcott Street and a run-down mess on the other side.

SHOPRITE PLAZA Tenant's: (From Left to Right)

Shoprite (with an in-store Citizen's Bank a holdover from when it was Price Chopper)
A.J. Wright
Sleepy's
Royal Buffet (The best Chinese Buffet I have ever been to).
American Streak House
PETCO

Out Parcels:

Taco Bell

Casual Male XL
GAMESTOP

CTAmeshopper

What I remember of this mall

The Suncoast near Kay Jewelers, that was a constant store I would go to with my dad.

The front News Rack that had yellow bricks on the plane of the floor.

The waterwheel near Sears, and the big Sears sign that had the 70's logo all in caps.

The waiting room in the Sears Auto Center complete with ugly green color and a cigarette machine.

Eating pizza in slices on paper towels

spinning around in the stool at the counter of the pizza restaurant.

sitting in the chair staring up at the skylights

Buying clothes in sears with high roof and white with red stripe patterns on the floor and the walls.

The rolled up carpets near the back entrance

The little video game area with the game of Sonic 3 demo playing

Looking out over the parking lot from the counter.

The 7 that looked like an upside down 2 on the octagonal clock in the diner part of the pizza restaurant.

Tossing change into the numerous fountains

Waiting for dad underneath the overhang of G. Fox

listening to birds calling from their cages

I remember these things like it was yesterday.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on August 03, 2010, 05:47:24 PM
The front News Rack that had yellow bricks on the plane of the floor.

Newsrack also had a location in The now demolished Bristol Center Mall in Bristol. To this day they still have a location at Brass Mill Mall. It's owned by a mean Indian guy who won't even let their customers scratch their lottery tickets in his store.

CTAmeshopper

OMG OMG VIDEO of the malls last days INCLUDES LOGO!!!!!! :o

This brings back many memories, I especially remember the skylights ( at 3:20) that could be seen in the middle of the video.

I miss this mall so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBH6neP7oU4

The first part they drive by is the former G.Fox/Filene's building

The name of that pizza restaurant I remember eating at is Expresso Restaurant Pizza

jmcnamara96

Never been to this mall but in that vid CTAmesshoper the sears looks awesome as the mall in general

jmann

I remember:

The waterfall in Worth's with goldfish at the bottom.

Buying Billboard magazine every Friday at Newsrack.

The Now Shop.

Shopping at Chess King and buying shoes at Thom McCann.

The animals at Doctor Pet Store

East/West oriental store.

Movies at Cinema 1,2,3(later 4).

So many memories.