Jacksonville, FL / Richmond, VA / Stafford, VA / Laurel, MD / Baltimore, MD

Started by C. Fontaine, June 14, 2010, 05:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Just returned yesterday from a trip to Florida, where Val and I stopped at 5 Ames's on the way!  Tons of pictures to come.  Also snagged two receiving signs!

Richmond, VA was the Azalea mall location... Unbelievably, as Zayre88 said in 2004, this mall was closed in 95 and demolished in 98, the mall sign with Ames logo still stands!!!  15 years and the sign remains!

Also, after seeing Granville by gu4ever and stopping by 8400 Eastern Ave in Baltimore it is nice to see that a few unchanged Ames still exist!

dmx10101

I'm visiting Jacksonville right now, which old Ames did you stop at, the one on Beach Blvd?
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

C. Fontaine

Quote from: dmx10101 on June 14, 2010, 06:42:35 PM
I'm visiting Jacksonville right now, which old Ames did you stop at, the one on Beach Blvd?
Yup, right behind the Dollar Tree!

dmx10101

Quote from: C. Fontaine on June 15, 2010, 08:09:35 AM
Quote from: dmx10101 on June 14, 2010, 06:42:35 PM
Yup, right behind the Dollar Tree!

That's awesome!, glad you could make it there.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

beachgal26

Chris, where was the store located in Baltimore?  I lived there for 25 years and wondered if I remember it? 

C. Fontaine

Quote from: beachgal26 on July 03, 2010, 02:53:58 AM
Chris, where was the store located in Baltimore?  I lived there for 25 years and wondered if I remember it? 
It was located at 8400 Eastern Ave, adjacent to an abandoned Sams club and restaurant.  The only active store in the entire plaza was a Chuck E. Cheeses!

TheFugitive

Spent about six weeks at the Ames on University Blvd. in Jacksonville.  Was sent there as
part of an exchange program when Ames bought Zayre.  I was sent to the then-Zayre store
in Jacksonville and one of their managers got sent to my old store in Michigan.  It was an
interesting experience.  Very nice people, but sadly the company went Chap. 11 and closed
this store less than a year later.