Main Menu

Sam Goody

Started by Caldor1999, March 12, 2005, 02:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Just announced today: Transworld (a.k.a. FYE, Coconuts, Saturday Matinee) will be buying Musicland (a.k.a Sam Goody, Suncoast). This seems like a bad move in the long-run. Say good bye to the Sam Goody name and Suncoast (I am guessing they will move more of Suncoast's products into an fye store eliminating the need for Suncoast (or Transworld's own Saturday Matinee movie chain)

i dont like fye there to over priced samgoody was a great chain i wish they would stay around

I agree. FYE is more expensive like something there is twice the price of Wal-mart. suncoast has higher quality dvds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and has the toy and collectible merchandise, like nightmare before X-mas toys.

beachgal26

We still have the one in Memphis that we have had since Peabody Place opened here a few years ago.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Just announced today: Transworld (a.k.a. FYE, Coconuts, Saturday Matinee) will be buying Musicland (a.k.a Sam Goody, Suncoast). This seems like a bad move in the long-run. Say good bye to the Sam Goody name and Suncoast (I am guessing they will move more of Suncoast's products into an fye store eliminating the need for Suncoast (or Transworld's own Saturday Matinee movie chain)

From the Times Union Wednesday Edition at :
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=453338&category=BUSINESS&newsdate=2/22/2006
(It lloks like the link is only active for a week so I'm pasting a couple parts below also).

ALBANY -- Trans World Entertainment Corp. has its eye on a bargain purchase: 400 music stores around the country at "everything-must-go" prices.
The company proposes to pay $104 million in cash to purchase Musicland Holding Corp., a Hopkins, Minn.-based retailer that operates stores and online businesses under the names Sam Goody, Suncoast Motion Picture Co. and MediaPlay.com.

Musicland operated more than 800 stores when it filed its Chapter 11 petition. At the time, the company hoped to reorganize by closing the Media Play chain and instituting other cost-saving moves.
Since then, the company has closed 100 stores, and plans to close 343 more before Trans World takes over.
Trans World would continue the weeding-out process, closing up to 55 more stores and operating the remaining 345 free-standing and mall stores.
"Obviously, these are the best stores of the company," Sullivan said. "It provides us with good growth opportunity for both sales and earnings."
Trans World, with nearly 800 stores in 46 states, plans to change Musicland's mall stores to its signature FYE name.
>>>But the other stores would keep their current brands, Sullivan said.<<<

Besides FYE and Wherehouse, Trans World does business as Strawberries, Coconuts, CD World, Spec's, Second Spin and Planet Music. The company, already the largest retailer in the industry, towers above the next biggest competitor, MTS Inc. The Sacramento, Calif.-based owner of Tower Records, has about 90 stores.

d_fife

here is the suncoast in yonkers ny on cross country shopping center on central park ave

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1141430918&subNum=40214000001

d_fife

I went to the suncoast in the fox run mall last saturday and it is 30 to 40 percent off and a lot of the merchandise is still left.

XISMZERO

I always dispised these chains (except Media Play). While they were cool stores to browse, their prices were always too high. I think they're getting what they deserve finally.

Suncoast's customer service improved greatly near their end. Could never enter one store without being bombarded with ads and friendly speak.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Anonymous

The whole chain is closing.

Anonymous

Trans World Music (FYE/Record Town/etc.) is taking over what is left of Sam Goody/Suncoast.  See the reorganization section at Musicland.

Zayre88

The now closed Sam Goody in the Turnpike Mall - Augusta ME.  

I think that one thing causing trouble to stores like Sam Goody is that they have mall stores and customers are going more and more to power centers and buying online.

dmx10101

I went to Sam Goody last weekend, although alot of them closed there are some still in business and owned by FYE now.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

DandaAmesman

The music specialty store I liked was Media  Play. Media Play by far had the best selection of CDs, a decent collection of books, a pretty good stock of computer games but the one thing they lacked was a decent video game section. I think that one of Media Play's weaker points- not enough games to choose from.

Towards the end, Media Play stores, especially the CD and movie departments, looked empty.

I can honestly say I was shocked by Media Play's decision to close. The Toledo locations were located in high traffic retial centers, miles away from any Best Buy.

Now I must shop at Borders and best Buy. These stores are fine but Border's isn't that good of a music/movie store and Best Buy isn't good with music either.

Although it sign of the times when Best Buy was looking to dumping there music deparmtnet altogether.

jaesun

I used to looove Suncoast in the early 90's. I was so into the classic films of the 30's and 40's at that time. Suncoast was the one place I could find nearly any classic movie in a new freshly released VHS.  I built myself quite a collection of MGM, Paramount, RKO and WB classic films.  All thanks to Suncoast.

XISMZERO

Suncoast became the brunt around those I've known to have hiked prices. Well I suppose all the Trans World subsids did. Their selection and backlog was impressive but it's no mystery why.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

GothicPrincess

I have a Suncoast here in Greensburg, PA and it's not showing any signs of closing or changing to another store. We had a Sam Goody but they closed out for a Natural Habitat store, which closed out to something else. KB Toys is still running strong here as well, regardless of the Toys R Us across the highway, which looks like a big white box. None of the old brown roofing, or the colored slats. As soon as my idiocy dissipates, I'll have pictures up of things I took around here. I have to remember how to do html, it's been a few years. Pictures will follow soon...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

mikey7290

There used to be a Sam Goody in Plattsburgh NY.  It was in one of the Champlain Centers (I can't tell one from the other) it was the smaller older one.  It was right on the corner where the hallways branch.  The store closed several years ago and that whole hallway was demolished for a Price Chopper.

david121

I've been to the Suncoast in Secaucus, NJ. I remember it was closing when I went in, but I don't remember it being that big. :o

Media Play is missed... because they where just awesome.

Toys4Joy

There was a Sam Goody in Aviation Mall in Queensbury...They left maybe 6 or 7 years ago.  There was also a Suncoast in that mall as well.  The Suncoast left maybe 5 years ago.

MikeRa

Trans World Entertainment still uses the "Suncoast" name.  the Sam Goody name, on the other hand, has been retired  in favor of the "fye" and "Coconuts"name.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

XISMZERO

Trans World failed to renew their lease of "Fye" at Westfarms Mall in Connecticut. There's a Nike Store going there soon. I know Westfarms' image is pushing out the ordinary retailer, but the mall is now without a music store. Is the company closing more stores?
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

beachgal26

I really miss the variety and show my age (!) by saying that I would rather look around in a store than just buy online, but it was a whole different time that has come to an end.  What I hate is that there is virtually no place now to look for vintage movies (to own-not rent).

:no:

Solaris

My Local Sam Goody Closed in 2006, but there's another one that was technically Local that got Converted into a FYE in 2009.

I Did however visit the Cookeville, TN Location that is still open and let me tell you, while it still has the logos and it hasn't been converted, The Levels of Laziness on Trans World's Part is through the Roof!!!

The Employees there wear FYE T-Shirts instead of Sam Goody T-Shirts, that's how lazy Trans World Got with that one!

Still, i cannot wait to see the Ohio Valley Mall Location, i'll post pics when i see it

Solaris

HEADS UP!!!

The Cookeville, TN Location is now CLOSED, This also rings the end to the Dusty Repainted Battle Axe Known as On Cue, May respects be paid.

Photo Sent to Me on Discord by "Skynard" of the Channel Boogaloo Discord Server