AMESFANCLUB
January 21, 2018, 12:32:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  
Author Topic: Walmart bashing  (Read 52048 times)
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2014, 03:30:24 PM »

Twenty-five years ago at least half the customers checking out in my Ames store
would make out their checks to "Fisher Big Wheel".

So there you go.   Roll Eyes
bubcolbert1952
« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »

Twenty-five years ago at least half the customers checking out in my Ames store
would make out their checks to "Fisher Big Wheel".

So there you go.   Roll Eyes

Huh? Were you referring to a post on an older page?
ShopKoFan
Expert Member

Knows ShopKo too well.

« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2014, 04:08:20 AM »

Add to that the fact that Walmart was going to build a new superstore in downtown Green Bay, Wisconsin, on North Broadway Street. Our city government, including our mayor, Jim Schmitt, and the On Broadway business association is making it difficult to build a store there, by using a different type of zoning. Even a majority of the citizens in that area, including citizens who run businesses in and around that area, are mad at Walmart. There were protesters with picket signs outside the Neville Public Museum, where each time Walmart representatives were there to show off different store designs, and ask questions. It was chaotic! Nobody wants Walmart there! Not even me!

ynkeesfn82
« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2014, 08:25:31 AM »

This is the only time you'll see me bash Walmart. - If I want to buy a new book I'll either buy it at Walmart or Target because books are usually cheaper there than other retailers. There are 3 Walmarts near me - in Southington (where I live), in Bristol (where I worked for Christmas), and a Walmart Neighborhood Market in Bristol (where they do have a book section). None of the 3 stores have the new Lisa Gardner book Fear Nothing. Neither does Target or any other stores that sell books. Lisa Gardner has a link on her website to buy the book from WALMART.COM and TARGET.COM (along with other online retailers), but I prefer to skim through the book before deciding whether or not I want to buy the book or not.
Kmart4life
Ames In their blood!

« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »

Walmart plans on putting 1 million Americans back to work by 2018, I'll believe it when I see it!
vwnut13
Pre-Awesome Ames Dude

« Reply #305 on: May 31, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »

Well, Walmart in St Albans, Vermont has been open for 7 months.  Haven't heard any news of how it's destroying downtown, must be it didn't happen.
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »

Well, Walmart in St Albans, Vermont has been open for 7 months.  Haven't heard any news of how it's destroying downtown, must be it didn't happen.

I don't know about other places, but here in Connecticut most downtowns were destroyed long before Walmart came to town.

In the 1960s Bristol  bulldozed a big portion of downtown and built a mall. The mall was never successful and they ripped down the mall in 2008. And what do they have on that spot today? A stupid looking new McDonald's (replacing an older one elsewhere on the same property) and a 17 acre vacant lot. Some scam artists from Long Island are trying to redevelop the property, but they keep coming up with these lame excuses why it's not getting done. Work was supposed to start already. Now they're trying to say it's going to be another 10 years before anything is even finished.

In New Britain the downtown (and much of the city) was destroyed when the highway went through the city. Again this was the 1960s and 1970s. A corrupt mayor who was related to the owners of the construction company that built the highways. They couldn't even support Walmart. They employees and some of the customers were robbing it blind. They've been Walmart-less for nearly 5 years.

In Southington downtown started to fizzle in the 1980s. By the 1990s most of downtown was deserted. With-in the last 10-12 years downtown is starting to make a comeback. It may not be exactly the same as in its heyday, but at least there is still a downtown. A few small businesses and tons of places to eat.
TRU7536

« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »

I don't know about other places, but here in Connecticut most downtowns were destroyed long before Walmart came to town.

In the 1960s Bristol  bulldozed a big portion of downtown and built a mall. The mall was never successful and they ripped down the mall in 2008. And what do they have on that spot today? A stupid looking new McDonald's (replacing an older one elsewhere on the same property) and a 17 acre vacant lot. Some scam artists from Long Island are trying to redevelop the property, but they keep coming up with these lame excuses why it's not getting done. Work was supposed to start already. Now they're trying to say it's going to be another 10 years before anything is even finished.

In New Britain the downtown (and much of the city) was destroyed when the highway went through the city. Again this was the 1960s and 1970s. A corrupt mayor who was related to the owners of the construction company that built the highways. They couldn't even support Walmart. They employees and some of the customers were robbing it blind. They've been Walmart-less for nearly 5 years.

In Southington downtown started to fizzle in the 1980s. By the 1990s most of downtown was deserted. With-in the last 10-12 years downtown is starting to make a comeback. It may not be exactly the same as in its heyday, but at least there is still a downtown. A few small businesses and tons of places to eat.

Many cities were completely destroyed in the 60's when major highways were built. A good example is Hartford. Look at what 95 and all those other highways built around the Bronx and Brooklyn did, destroyed those areas. All these highways are in dismay and many are are the verge of falling apart. It's funny working for a property management group and all the talk of what the 60s stuff did was a really bad choice.  Also urban development of the 60's now is looked as a disaster.  Sorry off topic

One the other hand many small towns downtowns like southingto, plainville, west Hartford are now the new it thing where people want to go and many small business are opening.
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »

Dear Walmart,

If you can't come up with some quicker, more efficient way to process a check through your POS system,
perhaps you should stop taking checks.

Got stuck today behind a customer (apparent age approx. 75) who was paying by check (perhaps the last
person in the tri-state area who does this...I had not personally seen it done in this millenium).

The cashier (apparent age approx. 86) squinted at the check through her bifocals and then keyed the
check number into her register.  Then she fed it into the slot on the side of her register and scanned the
MICR number.

This prompted the customer for a signature on the transaction pad.  After clicking on a few
areas with a confused look on her face, it brought up a screen with an area for her to sign.

The cashier then tried to total out of the transaction but the register then prompted her
for the customer's drivers license.  The customer fumbled through a large purse for approximately
four minutes before finding it and handing it to the cashier.  Again we squinted through the bifocals
as we carefully keyed the license number into the machine.

She handed the license back to the customer and the transaction pad again prompted her to
give her approval.  Finally the cashier was able to print an endorsement on back of the check and
give the customer her receipt.

Nothing like a simple fifteen step process.
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »

Or for that matter, if you are going to offer so many financial services, TRAIN the people at your
service counter on how to process those transactions.

I had a small item to return.  The woman ahead of me was there to pay some kind of bill.
I waited for 20 minutes while two cashiers and their supervisor tried in vain to get the system
to accept her payment.  Finally they gave up, apologized to her and sent her away.

By then there were fifteen people in line behind me.
BillyGr
Expert Member

« Reply #310 on: September 09, 2014, 01:49:53 PM »

Or at the very least have a couple people at the service desk and make one just for those types of "beyond store" services.

At least some of the grocery stores here do the same - it's fine if they want to do Western Union, lottery, bill paying etc., just make it so there is one person who only handles things like returns, rainchecks, correcting wrong prices - store related stuff (particularly a wrong price that is the store's issue in the first place).

Or for that matter, if you are going to offer so many financial services, TRAIN the people at your
service counter on how to process those transactions.

I had a small item to return.  The woman ahead of me was there to pay some kind of bill.
I waited for 20 minutes while two cashiers and their supervisor tried in vain to get the system
to accept her payment.  Finally they gave up, apologized to her and sent her away.

By then there were fifteen people in line behind me.
ynkeesfn82
« Reply #311 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:08 PM »

You know I'm a Walmart fan and I always will be even if I don't agree with some of the things they do. I like the small store we have in my town - Southington, CT. It's 95,000 Square Feet and it's the right size for the small town. It's even cleaner than most other Walmarts I've been to. I rarely say anything negative about them. That being said, what annoys me about the Southington store is for the past several months there have been several light bulbs burnt out. I can understand maybe 3 or 4, but not as many as this store has out and certainly not for several months.
TheFugitive
Expert Member

« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »

Recently went to the Super Walmart in West Mifflin, primarily because they had sent me a coupon
for a nine dollar haircut at their SmartStyle Salon (and I'd never turn down a nine dollar haircut!)

And I did indeed get a very nice haircut.  Since I was there I decided to pick up some items I needed.
Grabbed a cart and pulled out my list.  The store was out of stock on 4 of the first 5 items on my list.

I abandoned the cart and went shopping elsewhere.  This store is HUGE, and yet they were still out of
4 of the first 5 items I needed.  They are obviously having major issues in restocking.

I have since read where many of their stores are ending 24 hour operations and putting on overnight
stocking crews.  I can see why.
ShopKoFan
Expert Member

Knows ShopKo too well.

« Reply #313 on: May 13, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »

People keep spreading rumors all over YouTube about Walmart store closing abruptly, and being converted to FEMA camps just in case this country is under martial law in the future. Whatever those people say, IT ISN'T TRUE, IT'S A LOAD OF BULL-CRAP that they're talking about to try and brainwash everyone!

Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #314 on: May 25, 2017, 06:21:58 AM »

My only gripe with Walmart is that I blame it for killing the mall on the brick and mortar end of the mall's demise.

ShopKoFan
Expert Member

Knows ShopKo too well.

« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »

My only gripe with Walmart is that I blame it for killing the mall on the brick and mortar end of the mall's demise.
I agree. And now Walmart is trying to compete with the likes of Amazon.

Ask yourself this question: "Would you like to live in a town with less retail options or more retail options?"

I choose the latter.

Pikapower
Ames 4 Lyfer!

I'm a Kids "R" Us kid!

« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2017, 05:13:09 AM »

I agree. And now Walmart is trying to compete with the likes of Amazon.

Ask yourself this question: "Would you like to live in a town with less retail options or more retail options?"

I choose the latter.

Ditto!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
  Print  

Jump to: