Simoneau/Globe Plaza Nashua NH

Started by jmcnamara96, February 18, 2010, 03:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcnamara96

I would like as muck information on this plaza as posssible i have pictures from company's flickr and users (zayre88,d_fife,GU4ever?)

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on February 18, 2010, 03:33:57 PM
I would like as muck information on this plaza as posssible i have pictures from company's flickr and users (zayre88,d_fife,GU4ever?)
The retail world of Nashua began to head south on Main Street back in the 60's. The Simoneau Plaza came on the scene around 1962? In the 70's it was anchored with a 1-story JC Penney's that had a sit down restaurant inside it, Bradlees department store, stop&shop turning into star market and also a Treismans catalog store "like service merchandise". The plaza had been built on an old brook.... "swamp land" that was filled in with dirt and debris, some 18 years later the parking lot and the Bradlees sales floor showed clear signs of just how unstable the building site really was. Areas of the parking lot were blocked off due to massive sink holes and also massives heaves creating odd steep hills that were not really driveable anymore. Same case when shopping at Bradlees..... You could never let go of your cart or it was gone, not just roll away gone, but gone crashing violently into a rack, customer or another shopping cart. The earth settled so much beneath the Bradlees that the entire concrete slab began shifting and cracking and sinking along with the ground below. I remember the main traffic aisle in clothing department which was on the left side of the store "near where dollar tree is now" you actually had to lift your cart up and step up onto the next "level" of the floor. The crack was so bad I could actually put my hand down inside the hole/crack that ran right through the middle of the store from the left side to the right.
Obviously this was the 70's and that was okay back then? Can you imagine a store being around like that today? And this was Bradlees.... It was a REALLY nice store and I had fun shopping there as a kid letting go of the shopping cart of course....  ;D
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on February 18, 2010, 04:07:02 PM
Quote from: jmcnamara96 on February 18, 2010, 03:33:57 PM
The retail world of Nashua began to head south on Main Street back in the 60's. The Simoneau Plaza came on the scene around 1962? In the 70's it was anchored with a 1-story JC Penney's that had a sit down restaurant inside it, Bradlees department store, stop&shop turning into star market and also a Treismans catalog store "like service merchandise". The plaza had been built on an old brook.... "swamp land" that was filled in with dirt and debris, some 18 years later the parking lot and the Bradlees sales floor showed clear signs of just how unstable the building site really was. Areas of the parking lot were blocked off due to massive sink holes and also massives heaves creating odd steep hills that were not really driveable anymore. Same case when shopping at Bradlees..... You could never let go of your cart or it was gone, not just roll away gone, but gone crashing violently into a rack, customer or another shopping cart. The earth settled so much beneath the Bradlees that the entire concrete slab began shifting and cracking and sinking along with the ground below. I remember the main traffic aisle in clothing department which was on the left side of the store "near where dollar tree is now" you actually had to lift your cart up and step up onto the next "level" of the floor. The crack was so bad I could actually put my hand down inside the hole/crack that ran right through the middle of the store from the left side to the right.
Obviously this was the 70's and that was okay back then? Can you imagine a store being around like that today? And this was Bradlees.... It was a REALLY nice store and I had fun shopping there as a kid letting go of the shopping cart of course....  ;D

Yea i saw carts that were blue and said Treismans at a state line market pelhamm nh thats good info also i remember  that store being bad with the floor in the back its theirs a basement and a few stores (karate plumber shop etc) its was a fine plaza but the recent reno looks like frickin stuff in my opinion

jmcnamara96

Also there was a Mister Dounut and Bank of NH

Zayre88

List of tenants in 1978:

JCPenney
Bradlees
KFC
Stop & Shop
Mister Donuts
Bank of NH
Brandt Theatre
Firestone
Palace Pizza
McQuade's
Harmony Hut
Palmers Cleaners
The Baron
Figure Spa
B&D Wallpaper

Zayre88

List of tenants in 1988:

So-Fro Fabrics
Bradlees
KFC
Star Market
Mister Donuts
Bank of NH
Brandt Theatre
Colortyme
Channel Home Center
Palace Pizza
McQuade's
Hallmark
Palmer's Cleaners
Nashua Beauty Supply
The Comic Store
Fotomat
APS Auto Parts
Treisman
Golden Dragon Restaurant

gu4ever

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 09, 2010, 11:23:55 AM
List of tenants in 1988:

So-Fro Fabrics
Bradlees
KFC
Star Market
Mister Donuts
Bank of NH
Brandt Theatre
Colortyme
Channel Home Center
Palace Pizza
McQuade's
Hallmark
Palmer's Cleaners
Nashua Beauty Supply
The Comic Store
Fotomat
APS Auto Parts
Treisman
Golden Dragon Restaurant
I remember shopping at Treisman's as a kid. It had a similiar format to Service Merchandise.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on May 09, 2010, 12:40:58 PM
Quote from: Zayre88 on May 09, 2010, 11:23:55 AM
List of tenants in 1988:

So-Fro Fabrics
Bradlees
KFC
Star Market
Mister Donuts
Bank of NH
Brandt Theatre
Colortyme
Channel Home Center
Palace Pizza
McQuade's
Hallmark
Palmer's Cleaners
Nashua Beauty Supply
The Comic Store
Fotomat
APS Auto Parts
Treisman
Golden Dragon Restaurant
I remember shopping at Treisman's as a kid. It had a similiar format to Service Merchandise.

This info is awesome wered you get it Zayre?