Ames shopping cart sightings

Started by C. Fontaine, May 05, 2005, 05:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameskid

Mr. Fontaine, I also notice a Price Chopper cart on the right on your picture. Is Peebles a cart recycler like Big Lots, Goodwill, Marden's, and Salvation Army, or does it use it use its own carts?
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
Mr. Fontaine, I also notice a Price Chopper cart on the right on your picture. Is Peebles a cart recycler like Big Lots, Goodwill, Marden's, and Salvation Army, or does it use it use its own carts?
No, that was the first Peebles I've been to, but it was very clean cut and seems to stick with their own theme, like a Sears almost.

Caldor1999

no matter wer ei go i can always find a old caldor cart or a old bradlees cart but i still have yet to run into a old ames cart
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
No, that was the first Peebles I've been to, but it was very clean cut and seems to stick with their own theme, like a Sears almost.

Chris, why didn't you stop down here where I am? I'm only about 25 miles from Hudson! Also, I've never seen that cart before. I'm actually glad you didn't take it, because now I can photograph it next time I head up there(if no one else grabs it first).

Ameskid

By the way: You nay have read my past posts about different carts at the Cincinnati Big lots. Well, I saw a green cart with the same pattern as in XISMZERO's picture of the 2 carts filled with boxes (presumably not for sale). I have decided that it definitely was an Ames cart!!! :tumble:
And indeed it is. They actually have 2 there. I was able to get one, which I used, and peeled the sticker partly off. I saw A, M, and S. Wahoo!:insane::insane:

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

Chris, why didn't you stop down here where I am? I'm only about 25 miles from Hudson! Also, I've never seen that cart before. I'm actually glad you didn't take it, because now I can photograph it next time I head up there(if no one else grabs it first).
I figured you would ask me that!  Sorry the trip was very sudden:(  But I did have you in mind when we didn't take it:)

amesman

It's ok man. No hard feelings. Just call me up when you head down here again.

Zayre88

Ames carts at the Kmart store in Bangor, Maine.  Some had Kmart stickers some were Ames original!

Other Kmarts also have some Ames carts (Portsmouth NH and Waterville ME) for sure.

BillyGr

Here are a bunch of Ames Carts masquarading as dollar store carts in East Brunswick NJ (in the Shoprite plaza on Route 18).

This is quite a large dollar store, but not one of the chains that I know of (forgot the name at the moment).

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Here are a bunch of Ames Carts masquarading as dollar store carts in East Brunswick NJ (in the Shoprite plaza on Route 18).

This is quite a large dollar store, but not one of the chains that I know of (forgot the name at the moment).
Nice!

BillyGr

Here's a red Ames cart hanging out.

amesman

Here's a red one unmasked at the Troy Big Lots, which was a former Ames(as well as a Bradlees before that).

ameskmart1

This is a green Ames cart I found in a Target parking lot in Twin Falls, Idaho :o
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Zayre88

Green Ames carts inside Reny's in Madison ME.

C. Fontaine

Just like that kid on the news found a one in a million Blue-Eyed Cicada, while on Cape Cod this weekend I had my own one in a million find.  A rare multi-colored former Ames cart wandering the streets not too far from it's now native Ocean State Job Lot in Bourne, MA!

patk

i found an ames cart!(mabe an old hills cart?)
at a local Salvation Army store
its got a new home :bouncing:
(my home) :yup:

patk

QuoteOriginally posted by patk i found an ames cart!(maybe an old hills cart?)
it is a hills cart :bounce:

beachgal26

I wish that money were no object, because I would love to have a vintage cart from Ames, Zayre (for kicks), Wards, Hills, Gold Circle, Murphy Mart, GC Murphy and more than I can list right now.  If I had ever known that these chains would be gone, I would have kept more goodies from back in the day and had a storage unit just for my retail stuff.

;)

C. Fontaine

Completely random Ames cart I spotted while leaving the Walgreens on Chalkstone Ave!  Seems to be a lonely stray cart, homeless on the streets of Providence.

patk

QuoteOriginally posted by patk
i found an ames cart!(mabe an old hills cart?)
i got that cart in the nick of time. the store dumped the rest of them O_O

Ameskid

Completely random Ames cart I spotted while leaving the Walgreens on Chalkstone Ave!  Seems to be a lonely stray cart, homeless on the streets of Providence.
And you of all people know what to do with homeless carts!

Save The Carts
Since 2008
Help find every stray, homeless cart a loving new home.

dmx10101

I was at a Big Lots today and they had a orange Ames cart and they also had a Venture cart too. Didnt get a chance to take pics though
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Kmart4life

I found  a green Ames cart at a health food store today the Ames logo was on it. I tried to get a picture but they threw me out of the store and I was not able to get it. They said that I peeled the sticker with their name off of the cart but it was off when I layed eyes on it. Those people are jerks.:mad::flaming:

jmcnamara96

COUPLE TIMES IVE DRIVEN BY DRACUT DO-IT BEST STORE AND NEXT TO IT A SMALL PLAZA WITH 5 OR SO STORES AND THERES A BOOK STORE AND OUT FRONT THEIRS A BOX AND AMES CART FULL OF BOOKS MARKED HALF PRICE AND WHEN THEY CLOSE AT NIGHT THEY BRING IT INSIDE AND ONLY BRING OUT ON SUNNY DAYS SO ITS BEEN WELL TAKEN CARE OF:D

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by df559
This cart, I am not sure if it was an Ames cart or not. While it is the right color, all the logos have been scraped off every single cart so I can't say with 100% certainty that this was an Ames cart...

Looks like a Jamesway cart to me.

retailfan

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
I wish that money were no object, because I would love to have a vintage cart from Ames, Zayre (for kicks), Wards, Hills, Gold Circle, Murphy Mart, GC Murphy and more than I can list right now.  If I had ever known that these chains would be gone, I would have kept more goodies from back in the day and had a storage unit just for my retail stuff.

;)
Well if you were close to indianapolis back behind the ol Zayre in southwest indy Mars Hill there used to be a few old zayre carts  prety rusty  as they have been outside for a few years This now converted old zayre sat empty for years and still has the old loading dock complete with old fixtures sitting outside  Its been a few years since i was back there but  unless the scrappers have gotten them im sure there still there

Zayre88

Ames shopping cart at Marden's in Biddeford, Maine back in 2004. (with Lechmere and Shop Rite carts)

Ameskid

I see Lechmere also, but what are the yellow-and-red carts to the right of the Lechmere?

videogamer75

I see Lechmere also, but what are the yellow-and-red carts to the right of the Lechmere?

Those are Shop-Rite carts. Shop-Rite is a grocery store chain with stores in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, and Connecticut.

Mervyns

The local NWL had Ames, Bradlees, even Hills carts. Now even they have closed.