Ames shopping cart sightings

Started by C. Fontaine, May 05, 2005, 05:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C. Fontaine

Leaving Taco Bell today I spotted a lonely Ames cart roaming the streets of Lincoln Plaza in Worcester, MA, a former Ames location.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Leaving Taco Bell today I spotted a lonely Ames cart roaming the streets of Lincoln Plaza in Worcester, MA, a former Ames location.

did ya grab it?

man that cart looks beat up!

C. Fontaine

Unfortunately no.  The only cart I have been able to successfully fit in my Focus 4dr sedan is an Ames handicap cart.  I will possibly check back tomorrow with my Explorer.  Hopefully it is still there!

C. Fontaine

Nah, it must have disappeared into the shadows of one of the many dark alleys of Worcester.

Caldor1999

i nodiced no body put a ames shopping cart thread  btw did ames ever have any outher collor cart besied Green and Red????
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
I think they were just red and green unless you're talking about earlier ones where the main color was yellow

they had yellow carts:o
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

df559

Here is an Ames cart I found being used as a trash can in the Carl's Jr. parking lot. Big Lots bought a bunch of Target and Ames carts, covering the logos with Big Lots stickers. On this cart, someone (not me) peeled off the Big Lots sticker revealing the Ames logo underneath. (On the other side, the sticker was still there.)  So no, Ames didn't have any stores out here in California, but Big Lots trucked a little bit of retail history out this way...

df559

This cart, I am not sure if it was an Ames cart or not. While it is the right color, all the logos have been scraped off every single cart so I can't say with 100% certainty that this was an Ames cart...

Caldor1999

i had no luck finding any carts in the carmel ames they must have stored them some were i did see alot of A&P Carts though
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
I think they were just red and green unless you're talking about earlier ones where the main color was yellow

they had yellow carts:o

NO I don't think  so I'm just saying earlier Ames' main color for their logo was yellow possibly the carts were open metal ones like Caldor had.

I was born in 1987 not 1958 so I don't know Ames' first carts

hmm lets see i was nboren in 1988 ames tured 30 that year and bought out the Zayer names closing 74  of there stores that year  

and i first went to ames back in 1996 and i havent been there since 1999 and  i last saw one open was back in 2002 when they were doing there GOB sale:(
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by df559
Here is an Ames cart I found being used as a trash can in the Carl's Jr. parking lot. Big Lots bought a bunch of Target and Ames carts, covering the logos with Big Lots stickers. On this cart, someone (not me) peeled off the Big Lots sticker revealing the Ames logo underneath. (On the other side, the sticker was still there.)  So no, Ames didn't have any stores out here in California, but Big Lots trucked a little bit of retail history out this way...

ha ames in California that cart must had have a fun trip heh
Caldor Forever!

DaveC2574

Not only did Ames use the Red and Green Carts, but after the acquisition of Murphy's Mart, Ames used rebranded Brown Carts and rebranded metal carts using stickers, some rivited on name plates, and replaced handle covers.

Zayre88

Ames shopping cart sighting: Sept 6 2005 on CBS News

There was a report by Cynthia Bowers that aired around 7:05 about "Camp Katrina" and they shown people based in a camp in a Big Kmart parking lot and i saw an Ames cart twice in the report.  The camp was in Waveland Miss.

http://video.cgi.cbsnews.com/video/video.pl?url=/media/2005/09/06/video818475.wmv&sid=201&dart=news.video3

store215

Makes sense because Kmart bought up some of the Ames carts...for whatever reason. Kind of "funny" seeing it down there though.

Zayre88

Ames shopping cart inside Kmart in Bangor, Maine... with the usual Kmart yellow lighting...

XISMZERO

An Ames cart found in Southington, CT behind a Price Chopper. There was an Ames in Southington down the street which is now a Bed, Bath & Beyond and a Bob's Discount Furniture. There are tons of them in Southington, sadly most of them are scribbled out after Ocean State Job Lot acquired them for the Southington store.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

amesman

Ames shopping carts at the Oneonta Salvation Army.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Ames shopping carts at the Oneonta Salvation Army.

For $20, you probably could have left the store with one of those carts!! =)

amesman

Well, I did have the room in my Dad's truck, but I'm not paying 20 dollars for a shopping cart :-P

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Well, I did have the room in my Dad's truck, but I'm not paying 20 dollars for a shopping cart :-P

Must not be a Diehard Ames Fan like I thought you were then =)

XISMZERO

Ames carts aren't difficult to find at all. I see them all over the place, especially on the sites of Ocean State Job Lot. Would I pay $20 for a Caldor cart? Most likely. That's my two cents :)
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Ames carts aren't difficult to find at all. I see them all over the place, especially on the sites of Ocean State Job Lot. Would I pay $20 for a Caldor cart? Most likely. That's my two cents :)

Sure, my thoughts too. I threw $20 out there as a reasonable amount. I'd rather pay $20 for a decent cart, than to find some old rusty one with 3 wheels partially seized up laying around a former Ames, take it, and then have a guilty conscience to go with it.

BTW XISMZERO, Keep your photos coming!! =)

XISMZERO

I apprechiate the feedback, powersbt!

Here's the multi-generational red and green carts found in Agawam's Ames store.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

amesman

sweet pic, and powersbt, I am definately a Ames fan. I just wouldn't pay 20 dollars for one of the carts because a) I don't have the room for a shopping cart and b) I didn't have 20 dollars..hehe :-P

everythingmustgo

I didn't have a camera, but there was a green AMES shopping cart looking sad in front of a Salvation Army in Latham, NY. The closest AMES to that location was down the road, in the now completely abandoned (save for a standalone pizza hut) "diamond" plaza? (i'm probably wrong).

Anyway, good find.

Zayre88

A red Ames cart in the Maine Coast Mall in Ellsworth.

XISMZERO

Those red carts are truly gems amongst fields of green and scratched green ones...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Ameskid

It would be funny to see Ames in its heyday booting out other stores, i.e. using Bradlees, Jamesway, and Caldor carts! Like a Big Lots or Goodwill.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
It would be funny to see Ames in its heyday booting out other stores, i.e. using Bradlees, Jamesway, and Caldor carts! Like a Big Lots or Goodwill.
Here's a picture of an Ames converted Goodwill cart I found in Rocky Hill, CT!

http://www.amesfanclub.com/resource/images/inventory/08.jpg

Here's a gem my girlfriend Cassie and I spotted behind Ames (Peebles) in Hudson, NY!  Unfortunately, I can't fit carts in my car, so we too the child seat flap as a keepsake... Hehehe.

amesman

Here's a covered up Ames cart at the Salvation Army on Oswego Road in Liverpool, NY.