Ames shopping cart sightings

Started by C. Fontaine, May 05, 2005, 05:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whoser

I found one in The Waterford Stop & Shop Plaza, I'm not sure why it was there, There wasn't a former Ames in that Lot, But a Vacant NHD Hardware was.

GothicPrincess

not a shopping cart, but a carry cart...I tripped over it while shopping in Ollies in Greensburg, PA. Next time I go back there I'm going to investigate their shopping carts to see what names are on them. They have 4-5 different kinds of carts there, so who knows what I will find...?
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

TRJ22487

I walked around the back woods for about an hour behind the Peterborough NH former Ames/A&P. Look what I found!

This was my first find. It was absolutely mangled on a snowmobile trail. I was surprised to find it here, the A&P went out around 2001. It was a PC Foods for a few years after, but it has been vacant now for about 3 years

About a half hour later, I caught a red glimpse sticking out of a small stream. At first I expected it to be a Brooks cart, since a Rite Aid is now in that plaza. I took off my shoes, luckily was wearing shorts, got into the river, pulled it out, AND......

A new place to put my bottles!! Yay!
I'll give the logos a paintjob eventually
Can I just say what a task it was to clean?
And you still cant touch the metal parts or you get black pitch all over you
But I finally got an Ames cart, and an 80's one at that! I almost like it better without the wheels, serves my purpose more

kendra

That...is totally hardcore. :yup:

retailfan

youll want to probably  clean the metal with some rust remover as it looks like its been in water a very long time
now that its out it will detereate very quickly if not preserved
check with flood  cleaning places they can tell you what to use to preserve this
I like the part about making sure everything has tags

C. Fontaine

That is AWESOME.  Totally vintage find man!

TRJ22487

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
That is AWESOME.  Totally vintage find man!

It was about 500 yards behind the store I'd say, at the bottom of a massive gully with a stream at the bottom. If it had the wheels I never would have been able to drag it out, but I was able to use one arm and claw myself back up the icy hill. Wasn't too easy!
I had emailed you Chris about maybe if you'd have an extra cart to spare, then go figure I find one in the woods on my own.
I wouldn't be suprised at all if that cart had been in that stream for a whole decade. I didn't get a picture of it when it was still in the stream and had all the moss and dirt and snow all over it, because I didn't know what it was. I was looking for Ames carts, but I was thinking green, not red.

I can get some rust remover at work. Thanks for the advice retailfan

jmcnamara96

Just found this on google

C. Fontaine

That's one of Nicks (XISMZERO)'s pictures.  It's at the Dayville location.  It might have come from his blog!

jmcnamara96

Oh really i wounder if he graped it

Marc82

There was an AMES CART behind the drive-thu Menu Board at the Queen Street Burger King in Southington, CT on TUesday. I didn't have my camera so I couldn't take  a pic. In fact my camera is missing ever since I moved.

kendra

That'd be one red Ames cart, decent shape, all markings intact, spotted outside the Bangor Salvation Army. Another cart found inside the store.

I was tempted to offer them money for it, but I've really nowhere to stash the cart, unfortunately.

Marc82

Here's an AMES CART completly in tact in back of the Queen Street Burger King. It's been sitting there for a few weeks. I would assume BK must've stolen the cart because all the AMES CARTS from Southington wound up at JOB LOT. Pic taken yesterday 4/24/09.

webcookie

These live at my house. :) There's at least one more floating around town that I've yet to get my hands on.
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

alltheamesyouneed

QuoteOriginally posted by kendra

I was tempted to offer them money for it, but I've really nowhere to stash the cart, unfortunately.  

I can totally relate to this; when I spotted a few Caldor carts at Building #19 in Haverhill, MA I wanted to ask them if they'd allow me to purchase one, but I'm not sure that I could fit it in my car, let alone find a place in my house to stash it. And I know my mom would object to having a shopping cart stored behind our house. :rolleyes:

However, there *is* an old Ames shopping basket at the Salvation Army in downtown Haverhill, and I may go back there and make them an offer.

gu4ever

On route 9 in Hyde Park, NY is a shopping center still standing as of Aug. 2009 with Ames shopping carts litering the parking lot along the side of the building and under protective cover in the back.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

Another cart in hiding around back. Additional carts can be found near the woods, they are in sickly shape being left to fade in the sun for 7 years.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

jmcnamara96

any new ones saved recently?

Amescaptain77

I remember I saw some Ames carts in Hyde park around 2009, but when I pass by, there isn't any left. I wish I could, but I probably will get photos of the Hyde park Ames.

Bdubs

Spotted a ton of Ames carts at a place in Norwich, CT called "Surplus Unlimited".  It's like a BigLots for rednecks.  They were the newer green cats, made mostly of plastic and some black painted metal accents.  They were probably taken from one of 2 Ames stores which had closed in Norwich.

palooza68

*Interesting Find Today*

Today me and my friends were hanging out in the woodsbehind the University of New Haven witch in near my house and we came across their shopping cart dump (Its when the students go shopping and bring home carts and leave them in the lots,the custodsians litterly throw them down the hill into the woods)and I found an old metal AMES cart!!!Its about the size of a Walgreens cart with a red handle bar whit the white AMES logo!!!I never knew they had metal carts!!!If anyones interseted in getting it tell me!!!!!

amesguy95

Quote from: Amescaptain77 on March 07, 2010, 03:43:46 PM
I remember I saw some Ames carts in Hyde park around 2009, but when I pass by, there isn't any left. I wish I could, but I probably will get photos of the Hyde park Ames.
There were definitely carts there as of mid-September 2009. I'm willing to bet the majority of them are in the back, out of sight. I'm heading up to Hyde Park, as well as some other locations, this summer, and I'll be looking to snatch a cart!

Valerie

We were at KMart in Fitchburg, Ma. They have some old Ames carts. The stickers were peeling off so you could see the old logo.

CTAmeshopper

Jo-Ann Fabrics used to use Ames carts to store stuff in, this was of course BEFORE the Torrington Parkade was razed and demolished. I have no idea where they are now, hopefully somebody else snatched them up before Jo-Ann Fabrics closed.

jmcnamara96

I saw a Ames cart a a local food pantry

patk

2 Ollie's Bargain Outlets
2251 Lancaster Pike
Reading, PA lots of Ames carts and more :o
1081 Haines Road
York, PA lots Ames carts and more :o
i did not get a cart but i got a seat flap! 8)

zonemad96

im pretty happy today i saw a Ames shopping cart in westminster md at the biglots it was formerly a Ames store so that would make sense why their wad a Ames shopping cart their i got my hands dirty and digged around in the dirt in the corner and looked for a recepit or tag but didnt find anything like i said it hasnt been a ames in years obviously so i doubt i will find anything but hey you never know i am going to go back their sometime soon so i will post any more findings but for now heres the pics

if anyone has any information on any of the old stores in Westminster including ames kmart and the old lowes location please let me know thanks

jmcnamara96

That cart looks to be a former Hills cart the ames tag looks like a sticker

Ameskid

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on October 14, 2010, 05:05:55 PM
That cart looks to be a former Hills cart the ames tag looks like a sticker
Yep, it's an old Hills cart.  I peeled one just like that at a Ollie's in MD and kept it. :D
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/