Dixie Square Mall could be demolished later this month

Started by C3Nostalgia, February 16, 2010, 10:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C3Nostalgia

Dixie Square Mall, the mall used in The Blues Brothers chase scene, could be demolished by the end of the month‽  I know that the place is beyond repair, but I didn't expect this.  I found out about it through a Google Alert on the mall. 

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/02/new-developer-plans-to-tear-down-blues-brothers-mall.html

Though I haven't been there, Dixie Square is one of the things that got me interested in retail history in the first place. It would be kind of a sad day to see it go. After seeing many photos of the place, I always wanted to see more, or even go there myself.  But I live near Pittsburgh, and it is near Chicago, so there is no chance of that happening. I do however have in my possession a receipt for a television from the Polk Bros. store at Dixie Square.

GothicPrincess

Well now, that kind of sucks. I thought with the asbestos in there, that it would cost a crapload just to tear it down. I wanted to go there and see it for myself too...crap. Guess that trip is out lol
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

amesman

Well with all the other countless efforts to be rid of the place over the years dragging down in failure, I will just go ahead and say that I'll believe it when I see it. That being said however, Dixie Square's days are numbered regardless. It could collapse any day basically. With the amount of damage increasing as every year passes, moreso in recent months, it is a wonder the place is even still standing at all.

Marc82

Quote from: amesman on February 24, 2010, 03:12:31 AM
Well with all the other countless efforts to be rid of the place over the years dragging down in failure, I will just go ahead and say that I'll believe it when I see it.

That's what the city of Meriden, Connecticut said about "THE HUB".

That's what the city of Bristol, Connecticut said about "The Mall at Bristol Centre".

Both are now gone. The Hub gone in 07. The Mall at Bristol Centre gone in 08. Which reminds me I should get some pictures of the empty lot and submit them to the DEADMALLS site.

jmcnamara96

Marc dont forget the Toriton Parkade (TP) back in 2007

Marc82

Quote from: Marc B on February 24, 2010, 09:11:02 AM
The Mall at Bristol Centre gone in 08. Which reminds me I should get some pictures of the empty lot and submit them to the DEADMALLS site.

This is hard-core laziness on my part. Since April 09 I've lived right around the corner from the site. Plus I drive by it a couple times a week when I go shopping at Price Chopper. Plus I'm right on the property on the rare times I shop at Discount Food Outlet.