Main Menu

Boscov's

Started by store215, May 05, 2005, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on April 03, 2017, 09:36:05 PM
My Mom told me when she was at Boscov's in Meriden shopping for curtains back in February they were selling Curtain closeouts from KMART. Maybe they bough them from the KMART closing sale in Cromwell.

This isn't really anything new. I remember walking through their stationary department many years ago (probably 20 years at this point) and bought a notebook with a Drug Emporium? (or some similar store) sticker on it. Boscov's masquerades itself as a more middle-upscale department store, but they've always done a large amounts of buyouts and closeouts.

retailfan

Ritz Camera used to run the camera departments within Boscovs  but since the chain closed down  im not sure what became of that area. I know they handled a lot of the electronics items for Boscovs also. I know recently the Boscovs chain was also in danger of closing  before Ritz went under  as they were discussing  what to do with those stores . In the end Boscovs survived  and of course Ritz went bankrupt and no longer exists.

shore72

Quote from: retailfan on April 07, 2017, 06:42:20 PM
Ritz Camera used to run the camera departments within Boscovs  but since the chain closed down  im not sure what became of that area. I know they handled a lot of the electronics items for Boscovs also. I know recently the Boscovs chain was also in danger of closing  before Ritz went under  as they were discussing  what to do with those stores . In the end Boscovs survived  and of course Ritz went bankrupt and no longer exists.
At my local store the space just sort of got absorbed into several surrounding departments. It was basically a small island in the middle of the store, like the candy department.

giantsfan2016

Boscov's is opening in the former Sears Store at the Millcreek Mall in Erie, PA.

http://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/boscovs-dept-store-to-open-in-fall/734570843

retailisking

Every time I read about a Boscov's opening I feel a bit ambivalent. Happy that they're expanding, and sad that they're not expanding closer to me. Hey, maybe they can take over the Bon-Ton in the Maine Mall! :)

TheFugitive

The floor plan of Millcreek Mall is actually SHAPED LIKE A GUN!

Look it up on Google Earth, it's true!

The legend is that this was a mob message from the original builder to
someone in the general direction of the "barrel".

store215

Quote from: retailisking on June 14, 2017, 05:48:15 PM
Every time I read about a Boscov's opening I feel a bit ambivalent. Happy that they're expanding, and sad that they're not expanding closer to me. Hey, maybe they can take over the Bon-Ton in the Maine Mall! :)

I just hope they are more careful this time, unlike 2006-2008 when they took over too many former May Company stores and ended up having to close them after a year or two. I think Boscov's is doing a little better as they target more of a lower-middle income shopper and have a much broader variety of merchandise. I like to think of Boscov's as a 'fancy Walmart'.

giantsfan2016

Boscov's is opening their 47th store in October and it will be their second in Connecticut. They are opening in the former JC Penney in the Connecticut Post Mall in Milford. They are expanding the footprint of the store front and will be 200,000 square feet.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milford/replacement-jcpenneys-connecticut-post-mall-announced

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on January 11, 2018, 04:02:22 PM
Boscov's is opening their 47th store in October and it will be their second in Connecticut. They are opening in the former JC Penney in the Connecticut Post Mall in Milford. They are expanding the footprint of the store front and will be 200,000 square feet.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milford/replacement-jcpenneys-connecticut-post-mall-announced
Wonder if they're gonna enter into Eastern Connecticut, or just the Manchester area.

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 15, 2017, 10:09:30 AM
The floor plan of Millcreek Mall is actually SHAPED LIKE A GUN!

Look it up on Google Earth, it's true!

The legend is that this was a mob message from the original builder to
someone in the general direction of the "barrel".
Wow...that's one mall.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

esw01407

I'm glad they announced a new location, was getting concerned about nothing being announced. Also glad they are taking it easy, because they might have lots of opportunities in the next few years to over expand again.

danfifepsu

Quote from: esw01407 on January 11, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
I'm glad they announced a new location, was getting concerned about nothing being announced. Also glad they are taking it easy, because they might have lots of opportunities in the next few years to over expand again.
what of old.Bon ton in portland maine mall and old Sears or Macys in Bangor Mall.

esw01407

Quote from: danfifepsu on January 11, 2018, 08:11:17 PM
Quote from: esw01407 on January 11, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
what of old.Bon ton in portland maine mall and old Sears or Macys in Bangor Mall.

I was wondering how far these expansions would go to bring in Boscov's. Looks like there adding 60,000 sq. ft. to this store.

retailisking

Makes absolutely no sense. The Bangor Mall is dying, and Maine is too far away from their core. They're only now establishing themselves in Connecticut.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on February 08, 2018, 05:52:35 PM

Makes absolutely no sense. The Bangor Mall is dying, and Maine is too far away from their core. They're only now establishing themselves in Connecticut.

well maybe Portland. if they overexpand they could die.

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 09, 2018, 08:08:09 AM
well maybe Portland. if they overexpand they could die.

Even Portland is a big stretch. They might expand into Western Mass; the Westfield Bon-Ton survived this round of closures. It might be close enough to their Clifton Park, NY and Connecticut locations to make sense.

retailisking

The Boscov's in Milford, CT had a soft opening yesterday and is holding its grand opening today
https://www.nhregister.com/business/article/Boscov-s-to-host-grand-opening-in-Milford-on-13279279.php

danfifepsu

esw01407

Strong move, like it allot. Seems like another good place to open another store.

mixedday

So, is there any possibility that Boscov could pursue the former Sears space at Quaker Bridge Mall in Lawrence Twp., NJ? I've read that Simon has decided to convert the Sears in Ross Park and few other A malls to other uses with restaurants as one feature, pretty much preventing a fourth dept. store setup again. But no plan has been announced for the former Sears here.

esw01407

Quote from: mixedday on October 27, 2018, 11:44:22 PM
So, is there any possibility that Boscov could pursue the former Sears space at Quaker Bridge Mall in Lawrence Twp., NJ? I've read that Simon has decided to convert the Sears in Ross Park and few other A malls to other uses with restaurants as one feature, pretty much preventing a fourth dept. store setup again. But no plan has been announced for the former Sears here.

Hard to say at this point, because Boscov's announced it's 2019 opening will be in RI. So the earliest we'll know where the next Boscov's will be is late 2019. Boscov's also is in several weaker/in-danger malls in PA, so that could possibly affect future openings.

mixedday

Which PA stores is Boscov at risk in? I think it will benefit at places like York Galleria without two competing department stores now. In other places, it might be ideal to relocate - maybe beneficial if it relocated to Wyoming Valley Mall in Wilkes Barre area.

That said, it should probably wait to 2019, especially if Lord & Taylor actually proceeds with it's plans to close 10 stores, and it might find a number of better A malls to consider. The Lord & Taylor at Walden Galleria (Buffalo market) is a good location for a Boscov to pursue a spot. The closed Sears is too far at the end of that mall.

Another site that might do well is the former Sears in Hunt Valley, MD, although I'd rather Wegmans expand it's store adjacent to it.

In Baltimore area, Boscov re-opened the White Marsh store in NE Baltimore county, which is not too far away, but I think far away enough that a second Boscov can co-exist 18 miles away. macy's has a Towson store and White Marsh store for Baltimore county. But I'd say the Hunt Valley shopping area is rather small, even though it's adjacent to Towson and not too far from Owings Mills. Pittsburgh might be not worthwhile a market for Boscov to return, but Boscov can increase it's presence in Maryland (Baltimore area) maybe. In the Philly suburbs, it's pretty well covered except for the Mercer County area (Quaker Bridge).

danfifepsu

Quote from: mixedday on November 01, 2018, 10:40:19 AM
Which PA stores is Boscov at risk in? I think it will benefit at places like York Galleria without two competing department stores now. In other places, it might be ideal to relocate - maybe beneficial if it relocated to Wyoming Valley Mall in Wilkes Barre area.

That said, it should probably wait to 2019, especially if Lord & Taylor actually proceeds with it's plans to close 10 stores, and it might find a number of better A malls to consider. The Lord & Taylor at Walden Galleria (Buffalo market) is a good location for a Boscov to pursue a spot. The closed Sears is too far at the end of that mall.

Another site that might do well is the former Sears in Hunt Valley, MD, although I'd rather Wegmans expand it's store adjacent to it.

In Baltimore area, Boscov re-opened the White Marsh store in NE Baltimore county, which is not too far away, but I think far away enough that a second Boscov can co-exist 18 miles away. macy's has a Towson store and White Marsh store for Baltimore county. But I'd say the Hunt Valley shopping area is rather small, even though it's adjacent to Towson and not too far from Owings Mills. Pittsburgh might be not worthwhile a market for Boscov to return, but Boscov can increase it's presence in Maryland (Baltimore area) maybe. In the Philly suburbs, it's pretty well covered except for the Mercer County area (Quaker Bridge).

that Lord and Taylor isnt closing in Walden.

Ok what of in NH? I doubt the STeeplegate as its dying.  what of the Maine Mall? or Holyoke Mall Sears . Boscov's is thriving in this Dept Store meltdown.

mixedday

I went to the former Hunt Valley, MD Sears site today and it appears Michael’s is in procress and HomeGoods has replaced the lower level, Wegmans adjacent side. I don’t think the Wikipedia entry has this listed. The second level hasn’t been altered but in any event, this likely rules out Boscov or JCPenney any possibility of coming to the outdoor mall. It wasn’t a great location but not a bad one either, as Wegmans is a decent central anchor.

Boscov might be limited in the Baltimore market at White Marsh for time being. Marley Station is too dead of a mall to be worthwhile, Security Sq too ghetto, and Columbia too upscale/likely high rent. But Baltimore isn’t that large of a market, so it might be ok. The former Owings Mill mall is now a Costco and a Lowes is coming up. I thought Boscov could come back with a Christiana like store but it’s have to be new construction ground up, which might be more costly for Boscov to consider. There is also Harford Mall anchored by Macy’s and Sears. Once Sears closes, it could make a good Boscov site.

As for Lord and a Taylor, I was just mentioning Walden Galleria in case.. It’s a strong mall but it didn’t feel all that upscale when I went in there last. The Lord and Taylor is in a good position though and t might do well with less upscale competition.

esw01407

Quote from: mixedday on November 01, 2018, 10:40:19 AM

Susquehanna Valley Mall - Mall is in good condition, but no other anchors. In special servicing for awhile now.
Fairgrounds Square Mall - The redundant Reading PA location. If the mall re-development happens, more then possible this location stays as is.
There are also one or two locations in Western PA in lower quality malls.

New Jersey you also have the questions around the re-development of Monmouth Mall, and the potential seizure of the Voorhees Town Center by the town for redevelopment.

There's also the questions of renovations of existing stores, with Hazleton PA needing a new roof.

Wyoming Valley Mall will probably be a no for Boscov's, due to the renovations done to the downtown store. Wyoming Valley Mall also has some issues, the former Bon-Ton is in poor condition and probably should be demolished. The mall's loan also entered special servicing recently. It's a good mall, just needs at least one new anchor.

mixedday

Boscov actually has plans for improvements and is dedicated to staying in Voorhees. Likewise, Voorhees Twp. wants to keep Boscov in all redevelopment planning consideration. The fate of the rest of the mall doesn't have bearing to the Boscov's site, since the mall is separately owned from the Boscov site. Monmouth Mall is losing Lord & Taylor, but it's a pretty strong mall and I don't know why redevelopment jeopardizes Boscovs there.

Actually, central NJ might be prime area for Boscov. Great population density, typically strong demand and no sales tax on clothing. Besides Quaker Bridge, Boscov's might evaluate a few other sites once Sears disappears, including Freehold Raceway Mall and a freestanding Sears site in New Brunswick off Route 1.  I don't think it will go for all of these or even have the opportunity to pursue all of them, but it could pick up a couple. It might not want to compete with a bunch of stores at Freehold Raceway and deal with high rent, but it could pursue the Sears site in New Brunswick off Route 1 likely easily.

esw01407

I also do wonder when/if we could see Belk or Dillard's start moving into the better former Bon-Ton locations, coming into competition with Boscov's.

mixedday

Park City in Lancaster comes to mind. It's an A mall and Bon Ton had an decent facing site as an anchor. Belk could try for it, although I'm really surprised macy's hasn't, even as a store relocation from another central PA mall.

A lancasteronline.com poll (which isn't that meaningful) but some people voted. Top votes were for Cheesecake Factory, Dave and Busters and IKEA. I don't even know if macy's was even desired, as a lot of people find macy's to be pricey. But macy's has been able to stick around in middle class areas and even urban leaning (Security Square in Baltimore area). IKEA is unlikely, but restaurants and other retail might just happen over a department store replacement.

I'm still curious which other 8 Lord & Taylor stores will close. I suppose we will find out in early 2019 after the holidays, or they have decided to not close any more stores. Dillard's or Belk might pursue the Northeast region, then, overlapping with Boscov's. Von Maur also has a store in Rochester, NY and view a few sites for expansion.

mixedday

Has anyone here been to or well familiar with Westfield Annapolis?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westfield_Annapolis

There is a vacant Lord & Taylor building. Is it a good site, still vacant without confirmed plans of something else, and would it make a good location for Boscov if it wanted another Maryland store? This one would be within 30 miles of Washington DC unlike Boscov's other stores which are farther out. The mall has some A list tenants like Apple store, so that is likely positive that the mall is a draw and Boscov can co-exist with macy's and JCPenney. If Boscov went in, it'd be one of the first malls with both Boscov's and Nordstrom, interestingly.

shore72

I'm in Annapolis for work on occasion; on a rainy day I'll take a walk in the mall. I was curious what that empty space used to be (nicely repurposed right now as a sort of alternate route from one wing to another). Especially if/when Sears goes away, that could be a good fit. It's one of the healthier malls I've been in lately.

What was the big, now empty, anchor at Marley Station? That mall is another "rainy day" stop, but in a lot sadder shape.

mixedday

At Marley Station, it used to be macy's (which took over Hecht's site later). Then, Boscov's used to operate at Marley Station Mall as a fourth anchor. But it closed and that mall is too weak, and likely not able to support four anchors, let alone a couple even.

While Boscov operates at a number of dead/dying malls, typically it's the alpha there now, sole department store in those malls now. I don't think it'd want to join a dead/dying mall with macy's/JCPenney. But in strong malls like Millcreek Mall (Erie) but not too upscale/high rent (like King of Prussia), I think it would want to consider.