Main Menu

Boscov's

Started by store215, May 05, 2005, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 03, 2015, 09:46:56 PM
Boscov's is going into Westfield Meriden? I'm surprised they want to go there.

They wanted to go to Brass Mill in Waterbury, but there wasn't any space available. Then they took a drive found the vacant JC Penny at Westfield Meriden and jumped on it. They immediately talked to the mall management about taking the space.

TRU7536

From what I have read, Meriden had space and they got a great deal on the rent. best Buy was going to leave until the mall have them a sweet deal on the rent as well

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on July 07, 2015, 11:49:24 AM

From what I have read, Meriden had space and they got a great deal on the rent. best Buy was going to leave until the mall have them a sweet deal on the rent as well

Thanks.. I meant that I heard Boscov's is upscale and Meriden isn't upscale...

mixedday

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 11, 2015, 10:29:43 PM

Boscov's is a mid-range department store. Dillard's is higher end between the two. The two do not directly compete but their market areas almost border each other where the Salisbury, MD and Virginia Beach, Virginia regions border each other. Although from it's site, Boscov's has one store in Ohio (and that seems like an outlier store).

I'm not familiar with Meriden Mall, so I can't comment on it's likelihood of success, but this will put Boscov's into Connecticut and into New England.

In some ways, it might be challenging since one store will lack critical mass that a cluster of stores would otherwise offer.

I'm more surprised that Boscov's hasn't chosen a store in Mercer County area of NJ, as it could strengthen it's position in Central NJ and further north but within NJ. It added a store in Woodbridge Center and has two by the Monmouth-Ocean area, but that is still light even within Central NJ. Between Bensalem (Neshaminy Mall)/Moorestown NJ and Woodbridge is a long corridor where Boscov's lacks a store.

I just passed a former Stop&Shop site in Monmouth Junction, NJ and it faces the busy Route 1 and there are other strong tenants like Home Depot in the same center, South Brunswick Square Mall.
http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/A2389C20-97C1-4A9B-9E7C-50F564D59A8C.pdf

I was thinking that Boscov's might be able to fit in to this plaza with a store similar to the one in Christiana Town Center in Christiana, DE. The  listing shows that the former Stop&Shop is just a 55,000 sq.ft building but maybe Boscov's could add a second level?

The Boscov ownership only wants to open one new store a year as it goes with growth cautiously, but I think it should look into adding a store in Mercer County or between Mercer Co. and Woodbridge Center. It's a densely populated, high income area.

TRU7536

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 11, 2015, 10:29:43 PM

I just took a quick look at their website, they are no Macy's or Nordstrom by any means. They seem to be a step up from Jcpennys.

It's going to be interesting with Meriden. They lost Lord and Taylor years ago bc it didn't fit their demographics and Jcpennys closing is a sign the mall doesn't bring enough foot traffic even for a lower end department store. We all know the only reason Best Buy stayed and signed a two year deal, was because the last minute the mall offered them a sweet deal on rent. Best Buy wasn't doing good business and I wouldn't be shocked if The Gap is even still at this mall will be one of the locations closing.

ynkeesfn82

Gap has been gone for years at Westfield Meriden. There is Old Navy which is owned Gap Inc. It's been there about 4 years now if I recall.

mixedday

As of two years ago, Boscov's sold TVs and electronics. I confirmed on a recent visit that Boscov's has ceased that business.

And many years ago, I remember they had sold CDs in the Voorhees store. Even Target has trimmed that out to a small selection. My local Best Buy has moved the CD/DVD aisles to the back of the store, with a great de-emphasis.

ynkeesfn82

Meriden, Connecticut Boscov's will open October 8th.

store215

Quote from: mixedday on July 28, 2015, 10:11:39 PM
As of two years ago, Boscov's sold TVs and electronics. I confirmed on a recent visit that Boscov's has ceased that business.

And many years ago, I remember they had sold CDs in the Voorhees store. Even Target has trimmed that out to a small selection. My local Best Buy has moved the CD/DVD aisles to the back of the store, with a great de-emphasis.

They also sold large appliances a few years ago as well, but they are gone too.

ynkeesfn82

Boscov's in Meriden, Connecticut unofficially opens today October 8th. For a $5 ticket you get to preview the store before it opens tomorrow. The money from sales of the tickets will be donated to charity. Shirley Jones from The Partridge Family and her son Patrick Cassidy will be performing all-week starting Saturday in The Boscov's Auditorium.

TheFugitive

Quote from: Marc B on October 08, 2015, 07:39:31 AM
Boscov's in Meriden, Connecticut unofficially opens today October 8th. For a $5 ticket you get to preview the store before it opens tomorrow. The money from sales of the tickets will be donated to charity. Shirley Jones from The Partridge Family and her son Patrick Cassidy will be performing all-week starting Saturday in The Boscov's Auditorium.

Shirley Jones, a native of Smithton, PA, here in the Pittsburgh area.

The Jones Brewery was in her family for many years, and produced Stoney's Beer in Smithton.
It is now made by Iron City.  Her great-grandfather, Stoney Jones, reportedly won the brewery
in a poker game!

High school football aficionados in Westmoreland County still maintain that 16 year old
Shirley Jones is still the hottest cheerleader to ever show up around these parts.

shore72

Boscov's is having their 101 year anniversary sale right now; we were in there Saturday and they had some neat photos and storyboards hanging up, including a photo from a grand opening in 1985 featuring Mr. Boscov standing next to Sophia Loren.

ynkeesfn82

Starting Sunday (10/18) for entertainment in the Boscov's Community Auditorium at their new Meriden, CT store will be Elvis Aaron Presley Jr.  ::)

ynkeesfn82

Mom and I went to the new Boscov's at the Meriden Square Mall today. It's my Mom's new favorite store. She spent $90 on curtains alone. She's had trouble finding curtains after the Casual Curtain chain closed in February 2014. She got other things too including a new pillow for me.

MikeRa

The Boscov's at Neshaminy Mall, Bensalem, PA debuted their new Mall entrance today.  They won't open those gates until the area on the inside, which was the mall common area, for a couple of weeks:

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

mixedday

In Atlantic County, NJ, Boscov's anchors the Harbor Square shopping center, formerly Shore Mall. A Burlington Coat Factory is there as well. A Halloween store seasonally operates in a former Value City space. I was just there, and while it's not as ghetto as when the mall was open, there is certainly something off about the center. One is Golden Corrall being a restaurant there. Other being the 2-3 run down centers near and across the mall.

What's most ghetto (and specific to the center) is there is a large inflated pumpkin (for Spirit Halloween) on top of the Value City space that looks just as bad as inflatable rat balloon when unions picket their employer . It's May, and it's not Halloween season, so it shouldn't be up even otherwise.

I'm surprised Boscov's and Burlington wouldn't want a better space in general, or atleast the center owner to spruce up the center and not permit the Halloween store to not take down it's signage and balloon.

I also find the traffic pattern weird. If I want to drive from Boscov's west back to Mays Landing/Hamilton, there is no left turn option at the traffic light. One can only go right - east, or make a complicated U turn through the GS parkway.

I believe Macy's and Sears have the best locations in Atlantic County, in a modestly performing Hamilton Mall with highway facing anchor spots. Boscov's is in a weaker shopping center and area. JCPenney is part of Hamilton Mall with Macy's and Sears, but it doesn't face the highway. I wonder between Boscov's and JCPenney, which has the better location. Highway facing but in a ghetto block, or in a decent area (and mall) but not facing the highway.

store215

Quote from: mixedday on May 12, 2016, 09:33:49 PM
In Atlantic County, NJ, Boscov's anchors the Harbor Square shopping center, formerly Shore Mall. A Burlington Coat Factory is there as well. A Halloween store seasonally operates in a former Value City space. I was just there, and while it's not as ghetto as when the mall was open, there is certainly something off about the center. One is Golden Corrall being a restaurant there. Other being the 2-3 run down centers near and across the mall.

Boscov's is a strange beast and seem to thrive well in dead or dying malls and/or not-so-great neighborhoods. Most of their locations, especially in the Central PA region are mostly all in dead or drying malls, yet are still busy and very profitable locations for them.

shore72

Some stores have been able to find a good niche and thrive by serving it well. In my part of the world Boscov's doesn't have real deep competition. Macy's has the higher end of the market, Wal*Mart the lower. Sears & Penney's are weak or non-existent. Boscov's offers a very wide selection, more than anywhere else I can think of these days (candy counter, toys, bedding, housewares, dinnerware, a travel desk, restaurant, etc.)

mixedday

As Sears is selling off or subleasing off it's store real estate in certain cases (e.g. King of Prussia Mall), I wonder if Sears might sell/sublease either the Hamilton Mall Sears, or the Somers Pt. Kmart (it could move Sears there). There is also a Pleasantville Kmart but it's more downscale and the real estate likely worth less. Sears could sell either one to Boscov's. I think either would be an upgrade for Boscov's (from Harbor Square) especially if the Hamilton Mall Sears anchor space could be sold to them.

It'd also be great if Boscov's returned to Oxford Valley Mall but in Sears more central anchor space. Boscov's does operate not too far in Neshaminy, but so does Sears. It's probably Sears closest two mall stores to each other in the Philly region.

Would Boscov's have interest in Valley Mall in Hagerstown? Macy's has closed there, which might present an opportunity for Boscov's to move in. I don't know about the Macy's real estate there, but I know Boscov's already operates in Frederick in a substandard space. There is an outlet center in Hagerstown (Hagerstown Premium Outlets) that competes against the Valley Mall, which might have depressed sales for Macy's, but Boscov's might perform better.

giantsfan2016

I think Boscov's needs to join the 21st Century and have order online and pick up in store like other major retailers do such as Sears, Penney's, Macys, Target, Kohl's, Walmart, etc.

giantsfan2016

Boscov's says in the year they've been open in Meriden, Connecticut sales have exceeded their expectations. And while not mentioned by name they also said they're doing more in sales than Macy's and Sears in Meriden.

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on October 19, 2016, 09:46:46 AM
Boscov's says in the year they've been open in Meriden, Connecticut sales have exceeded their expectations. And while not mentioned by name they also said they're doing more in sales than Macy's and Sears in Meriden.

It doesn't take much these days to overtake Sears in sales...just sayin'... ;)

giantsfan2016

Albert Boscov chairman of Boscov's Dept stores passed away at 87 after battling cancer.

http://wnep.com/2017/02/10/retail-industry-giant-al-boscov-dies-at-87/

Chuck E. Cheese

:-(

Best of wishes to his family.

retailisking

Between this and Mike Ilitch, it's been a lousy week for retail and restaurant legends. Al Boscov leaves one hell of a legacy. Hopefully Jim is up to the task of building on Al's tremendous achievements.
http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/albert-r-boscov
http://www.wfmz.com/news/berks/albert-boscov-dies-at-87/326328545

zonemad96

Has anyone noticed some boscov's locations have really gone downhill? My local one has turned into a dump, first it started when the Ritz camera inside it closed, then they had a showroom for discounted furniture that turned into selling really cheap dollar store merchandise, then the electronics section was removed and is currently empty, then the optical department was replaced with more dollar store merchandise??? Also the toy department is a mess most of it is either completely empty or toys no one wants anymore. I hate to say it but my local sears is in better condition at least the merchandise they are selling makes sense for a department store. When you start filling empty spots in your store with dollar store merchandise in the same place you are selling mid-high priced goods you can't help but think wtf?

TheFugitive

Years ago, when I worked for David Weis Co. we would run a Dollar Days promotion with cheap dollar items mere steps from the jewelry counter where we displayed $10,000 diamonds.

giantsfan2016

My Mom told me when she was at Boscov's in Meriden shopping for curtains back in February they were selling Curtain closeouts from KMART. Maybe they bough them from the KMART closing sale in Cromwell.

standa

Quote from: zonemad96 on April 03, 2017, 03:05:28 PM
Has anyone noticed some boscov's locations have really gone downhill? My local one has turned into a dump, first it started when the Ritz camera inside it closed, then they had a showroom for discounted furniture that turned into selling really cheap dollar store merchandise, then the electronics section was removed and is currently empty, then the optical department was replaced with more dollar store merchandise??? Also the toy department is a mess most of it is either completely empty or toys no one wants anymore. I hate to say it but my local sears is in better condition at least the merchandise they are selling makes sense for a department store. When you start filling empty spots in your store with dollar store merchandise in the same place you are selling mid-high priced goods you can't help but think wtf?

In which city is your Boscov's located?