Main Menu

Boscov's

Started by store215, May 05, 2005, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

The Plymouth Meeting Mall location, as well as the Echelon Mall location, were origionally Lit Brothers locations.  You can see on the buildings where the Lit Brothers sign used to be, inside the rectangle that's near the store entrances.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

nims57

I wonder what the one at Cumberland Mall in Vineland was originally.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
I wonder what the one at [Censored]berland Mall in Vineland was originally.
I think that location was built from the ground up.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeRa
QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
I wonder what the one at [Censored]berland Mall in Vineland was originally.
I think that location was built from the ground up.

I wonder when that mall opened then.

videogamer75

It opened in the 70s

videogamer75

Does anyone know what happened to former Alexandria, VA Boscov's which was also a former Ames?

webcookie

Boscov's at the Nanuet Mall is closed, along with the rest of the mall, sans Sears from the looks of it.
Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

MikeRa

Quote from: d_fife on December 17, 2006, 03:29:23 PM
plymouth meeting one
That Lit Brothers name was located where the glass panes above the entrance doors to Boscov's.  The Voorhees Town Center location has the same outside design as well, except the "Lits" and "Lit Brothers" signage was on the walls, with the cursive "L" located where the glass panes above the entrance doors.

retailisking

Albert Boscov was on NBC last week regarding the struggling economy in Reading, PA:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41877933/ns/business-consumer_news/

retailisking

Boscov's reopened a store at the Monmouth Mall yesterday - with Shirley Partridge in attendance, no less!
http://www.app.com/article/20111009/NJBIZ/310090012/Boscov-s-grand-opening-today-at-Monmouth-Mall

Boscov patriarch Al Boscov profiled; he's the one retailing executive (apart from maybe Danny Wegman) that I'd like to meet someday...
http://articles.philly.com/2011-10-09/business/30260335_1_albert-boscov-monmouth-mall-grand-opening

A video example of Al Boscov's "personal touch"
http://www.philly.com/philly/video/BC1206747173001.html

shore72

Boscov's is a store where I actually enjoy shopping; I can't say that for most of its direct competitors. It seems to be a little friendlier, and certainly more down to earth than, say, Macy's. I guess one reason I like it so much is the variety they carry. While my wife is shopping shoes or blouses I can wander off and look at a lot of other things. Better than being stuck at Kohl's or Penney's! Seriously, I hope they can keep the chain alive and well far into the future.

I had been in the local (Salisbury, MD) store not long after it opened in the early 90s and didn't care for it. Too fancy, not my kinda thing. I stayed away for years until I became friends with an older gentleman who loved to talk. He would stop by and see me about once a week, and he went on and on about one of his other weekly stops, Boscov's. Seems the "girls" there really took care of him, were always friendly, and at Christmas time he would have to stop by and give them a card or some candy. That sorta sold me on the company.

retailisking

A sad but probably necessary move. Part of what made Boscov's unique was that they still sold the lines that most middle-market department store chains had already stopped selling. How will they differentiate themselves now?

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/11/boscovs_plans_to_stop_selling.html

d_fife

what will that mean of the binghamton one?

retailisking

I don't think any Boscov's locations are closing; they're merely getting out of the business of selling electronics and MAJAP.

MikeRa

Quote from: retailisking on November 15, 2012, 08:18:13 PM
I don't think any Boscov's locations are closing; they're merely getting out of the business of selling electronics and MAJAP.
You are correct.  What i read from the article, Boscov's is just leaving the business of selling Electronics and Major Appliances.  They are still selling Small Appliance and expanding the Furinture Department.

JoshAustin610

Even Best Buy wants to get out of the major appliance business (their goal is to eventually have smaller stores, much like how Old Navy is remodeling their stores to be smaller and leasing out the extra space), so Boscov's getting rid of them isn't a huge surprise.  There's not much repeat business when they're selling that's expected to last 20 years.

shore72

Boscov's tended to carry a little different assortment of merchandise in electronics/major appliances compared to its competition. You might see products or brands that were hard to find elsewhere. It was in the mid-90s that I was shopping for a washing machine and they were the only place carrying Amana; I'm not so sure they didn't also have Speed Queen. They had an above-average music department, back in the cassette days (yours truly is still stuck in the cassette days!)

ynkeesfn82

First Connecticut location is opening in Meriden in the former JC Penney.

They're also in talks to take over a former Sears in Pittsburgh. (It's mentioned in a side bar in this article about the Meriden Store)

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/meriden/meridennews/7207268-129/westfield-meriden-betting-on-boscovs-department-store.html

TheFugitive

Boscov's is going into the former JC Penny at Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, a relatively new mall located
about 20 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.  (not to be confused with the Galleria of Mt. Lebanon which I have derided for being so upscale almost nobody I know goes there).

I was kind of hoping they would move into the former Sears at Century III and help to save that dying mall.

Boscov's actually took some kind of money from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to stay afloat several years ago.

shore72

The rumor mill says that Boscov's is planning on leaving its mall location in Salisbury, MD to build a stand-alone store just north of the state line in Delaware. I'm anxious to see how that will work out (and how much truth there is to it.) This would put them in a fast growing area, and eliminate sales tax. Could be a good move. I'm not sure how the Centre at Salisbury would fare without them as Boscov's was consistently the busiest place in the mall, from what I've seen.

TheFugitive

Maryland truly excels when it comes to driving business out of their state.

ynkeesfn82

James Boscov made the official announcement on Saturday confirming plans for Meriden, Connecticut.

ynkeesfn82

According to an article on MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM Boscov's was looking at the Brass Mill Mall in Waterbury for their first Connecticut location. When there was no space available they took a field trip and discovered the vacant JC Penney at the Meriden Square. The article also mentions Boscov's hopes to have their Meriden store open by late Fall.

I wonder if that means if Sears or JCP decides to close at Brass Mill that Boscov's will jump into the space.

ynkeesfn82

I never had the chance to got to a Boscov's. I've been to King of Prussia 3 times and that mall doesn't have one. And I went to Bethlehem twice. I never had a chance to visit the malls in Bethlehem/Allentown. The first time I went to KoP and the first and second time I went to Bethlehem I was attending Writing Conventions. The 2nd time I went to KoP I was supposed to check out other malls besides the KoP mall, but driving on I-76 was such a terrifying experience that the vehicle I rented stayed in the hotel parking lot all weekend and I made the people I was visiting in KoP drive me around.  :-[ What can I tell you? At that time I was 25 I barely had my driver's license 2 months I was in a strange state, driving a strange vehicle, and it was the first time I went on a highway without the driving instructor. The last day of the trip I managed to drive I-76 from KoP to the Philly Amtrak station return the rental vehicle, but that was the last time I ever was on any highway.

Most recently the closest thing to a highway that I have driven on was in 2013 when I accidentally got on that highway that leads to Route 9, but I only drove one exit because I was going to the Berlin, CT Amtrak station.

MikeRa

Boscov's at Neshaminy Mall is expanding.  They are taking over the former RadioShack, Dollar Tree, and Kay Bee Toys site, and renovating their Young Men's store (itself a former Singer Fabrics location).  The Young Mens store is temporary in the former Deb Shops site.  The pic is that of the former RadioShack and Dollar Tree sites.

JimSawhill

Boscov's is going into Westfield Meriden? I'm surprised they want to go there.

store215

Quote from: MikeRa on July 01, 2015, 03:52:02 PM
Boscov's at Neshaminy Mall is expanding.  They are taking over the former RadioShack, Dollar Tree, and Kay Bee Toys site, and renovating their Young Men's store (itself a former Singer Fabrics location).  The Young Mens store is temporary in the former Deb Shops site.  The pic is that of the former RadioShack and Dollar Tree sites.

Oh wow, I'm surprised that Dollar Tree closed. I remember this was the only one in the area for a couple years before they bought out Dollar Express.
I'm also surprised Boscov's really needs that much extra space...what departments could they possibly be putting in here?