Ocean State Job Lot

Started by palooza68, January 07, 2005, 08:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail_247

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 03, 2022, 04:36:39 PM
Quote from: a_person_96 on May 03, 2022, 01:14:04 PMI made an Ocean State Job Lot store locations list (a list of every Job Lot store that I could find, even ones that have closed):

https://retail247projecthub.blogspot.com/2021/09/ocean-state-job-lot-master-list.html

For the NY stores, here's what I know:

- Albany was last an A.J. Wright (not sure what it was originally; A.J. Wright only opened in 2008)
- Ballston Spa store opened December 4, 2006 (first in NY).
- Clifton Park was said to have been a Joy Discount Store
- Schenectady was a combined space, last occupied by Eckerd (left) and PriceRite (right). Both of these spaces were originally Fay's Drug and Price Chopper.

Also that one in Rutland, VT appears to originally have been a Shop 'n Save that was rebannered to Hannaford before they moved down the road to the former Stop & Shop.

All edits have since been added. Thanks for the info
Retail_247

Retail Regents

Quote from: a_person_96 on May 04, 2022, 01:25:10 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on May 03, 2022, 04:36:39 PM
Quote from: a_person_96 on May 03, 2022, 01:14:04 PMI made an Ocean State Job Lot store locations list (a list of every Job Lot store that I could find, even ones that have closed):

https://retail247projecthub.blogspot.com/2021/09/ocean-state-job-lot-master-list.html

For the NY stores, here's what I know:

- Albany was last an A.J. Wright (not sure what it was originally; A.J. Wright only opened in 2008)
- Schenectady was a combined space, last occupied by Eckerd (left) and PriceRite (right). Both of these spaces were originally Fay's Drug and Price Chopper.

Also that one in Rutland, VT appears to originally have been a Shop 'n Save that was rebannered to Hannaford before they moved down the road to the former Stop & Shop.

Though I would take Clifton Park with a grain of salt as there is pretty much no information on the shopping center that store is in. It is only suspected, so leave that with a question mark.

Retail_247

Job Lot is moving their store in Enfield to 95 Elm St. Where the Best Buy was.

The location is still on the Best Buy website however all of the hours on all days are listed as closed.

"Monday: closed
Tuesday: closed" etc.
Retail_247

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 04, 2022, 07:09:40 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on May 03, 2022, 04:36:39 PMFor the NY stores, here's what I know:

Though I would take Clifton Park with a grain of salt as there is pretty much no information on the shopping center that store is in. It is only suspected, so leave that with a question mark.

To add:

Clifton Park - That building was definitely a Joy Store (and their Toys for Joy) as well.  This was the third actual Joy store (in addition to the original in Glens Falls and the one in Rensselaer) - they had a bunch of the Toys locations as well, but only those three had both.

I can't say for sure which part of the building was which, but it is some part of the Joy brands site.

The building was also a Boat and RV sales for a time in between, along with several smaller things like a night club and a church in parts of it at some points.

Albany - That was previously Fashion Bug, and if you want to go way back it was part of a Grand Union (after they took over the stores that Albany Public owned, this one was known as Scot's Lo-Cost a warehouse format). 
The "back" leg of Westgate plaza sat farther forward than the current PC/Dollar Tree do (as it contained several larger stores - the grocery store, a Woolworth and a JC Penney at one time, later divided into Wheels Auto and Paper Cutter). 
The GU/Scot's was in that corner, so the front of their store would have come at least as far out as where Ocean State is now, possibly a bit farther towards Central.

Troy - Was also an AJ Wright for a time before TJ Maxx (when they got rid of the AJ brand) and was originally a Price Chopper (Bradlees used to face it in what is now the parking lot of the current PC/Market 32).

North Adams, MA - Before Walmart was there, the site was a long time drive in theater - when they do their fall parade, the groups used to line up there.  Walmart took over somewhere around 1993.

Retail_247

Quote from: BillyGr on May 05, 2022, 10:56:03 AM
Quote from: Retail Regents on May 03, 2022, 04:36:39 PMFor the NY stores, here's what I know:

To add:

Clifton Park - That building was definitely a Joy Store (and their Toys for Joy) as well.  This was the third actual Joy store (in addition to the original in Glens Falls and the one in Rensselaer) - they had a bunch of the Toys locations as well, but only those three had both.

I can't say for sure which part of the building was which, but it is some part of the Joy brands site.

The building was also a Boat and RV sales for a time in between, along with several smaller things like a night club and a church in parts of it at some points.

Albany - That was previously Fashion Bug, and if you want to go way back it was part of a Grand Union (after they took over the stores that Albany Public owned, this one was known as Scot's Lo-Cost a warehouse format). 
The "back" leg of Westgate plaza sat farther forward than the current PC/Dollar Tree do (as it contained several larger stores - the grocery store, a Woolworth and a JC Penney at one time, later divided into Wheels Auto and Paper Cutter). 
The GU/Scot's was in that corner, so the front of their store would have come at least as far out as where Ocean State is now, possibly a bit farther towards Central.

Troy - Was also an AJ Wright for a time before TJ Maxx (when they got rid of the AJ brand) and was originally a Price Chopper (Bradlees used to face it in what is now the parking lot of the current PC/Market 32).

North Adams, MA - Before Walmart was there, the site was a long time drive in theater - when they do their fall parade, the groups used to line up there.  Walmart took over somewhere around 1993.

All edits have since been added (some on which in the form of notes). Thanks for the info
Retail_247

Retail Regents

Retail_247

I went to a Job Lot store recently and realized that they got new carts, new *original* carts. No re-branded ones, No WAL*MART ones with a Job Lot sticker covering the old logo. New originally manufactured carts, specially made for Ocean State Job Lot.

Did any other stores get these?

Is this the end of Job Lot re-using other peoples shopping carts?

Retail_247

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail_247 on September 24, 2022, 01:00:19 PMI went to a Job Lot store recently and realized that they got new carts, new *original* carts. No re-branded ones, No WAL*MART ones with a Job Lot sticker covering the old logo. New originally manufactured carts, specially made for Ocean State Job Lot.

Did any other stores get these?

Is this the end of Job Lot re-using other peoples shopping carts?

Can't say I've seen any - perhaps they just needed some and couldn't find any used ones to buy?

Unless they are now like cars, where the used ones cost as much as the new, so why buy used? ;)

Retail Regents

Those Peggs KNM550 shopping carts seem to be the new standard, just like Ollie's. I am aware that certain newly-opened stores in PA use them. Since none of our stores are new, we don't have them around here.

Rpameskmartfan26

Here's my local Ocean State Job Lot. This was previously an Almacs Supermarket and it currently uses former Kmart carts (And no, they don't use the new original carts seen in a previous posts). They opened in around 2006.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Here's when it was an Almacs Supermarkets:

Retail_247

Quote from: BillyGr on May 05, 2022, 10:56:03 AM

To add:

I read a claim that Joe was originally a King's discount store, and a Barkers before that
Retail_247

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail_247 on December 25, 2022, 11:46:20 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on May 05, 2022, 10:56:03 AMTo add:

I read a claim that Joe was originally a King's discount store, and a Barkers before that

I assume you meant Joy? ;) - I don't know for certain, but it does make sense, given that other Barkers wound up becoming King's, and then some became Ames.

Noting that King's filed for bankruptcy in 1982, and then stores sold to Ames in 1984, the time seems right (for some reason I remember hearing or seeing that 1982 was when they opened that third "regular" store Joy's but could be anywhere in that frame).

So, perhaps either they were willing to sell off stores if there was interest when in or trying to avoid bankruptcy, or it was a later switch and Ames was not interested in the spot for some reason (as they also didn't take the one "original" King's in the area that I know of, which was on Central Ave. in Albany, later for many years the OTB Teletheater before being torn down when the ShopRite was built a few years back)?