Sears/KMart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Kmart + Sears + Kresge's= K Smart what do you think lol

Kinda-catchy huh?

Here's a better logo that reflects who is in charge of Kmart now...    Maybe Sears should use that other new logo to replace the Big Kmart ones...

beachgal26

Our situation in Memphis is kind of odd since all of our malls have a Sears and we are down to only 1 K-Mart from 5 a few years ago.  There have been "excuse our duct" signs up for onver a year and nothing has happened except the weeds growing taller and taller.  

Here's a funny thing that I have noticed in the past few weeks...  One day while I was driving by (without a camera, unfortunately) the front door was open and there was an unmarked pick-up truck parked by the entrance where the shopping carts were kept.  When I was back again a few hours later, the truck was gone, but starting today, there is a security truck parked around back with a guard inside.

Now, all this chatter makes me wonder if they will be turning this into a Sears Essentials or what.  Since we have a nice Sears store about 5 minutes away (but no K-Mart), it would make alot of sense to open one in this area.  We are not upscale, but it is a growing area with many new and existing neighborhoods and a huge amount of traffic flow all around the area with easy access to several highways.

If I see anything happening, I will take some pictures and let you know.....

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:  :holysh::holysh::holysh:

store215

I doubt anything is happening. The store is probably being taken over by another retailer. The whole sears conversion thing seems to be on hold right now

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Kmart + Sears + Kresge's= K Smart what do you think lol

Kinda-catchy huh?

Here's a better logo that reflects who is in charge of Kmart now...    Maybe Sears should use that other new logo to replace the Big Kmart ones...

lol i like :P
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

Sears announced it will stop the Sears Essentials format and rename the existing stores Sears Frand.  Even if the Sears Essentials are no success, it's a good thing to scrap that name and only keep Sears Grand.  Sears has enough brands already!  

But, the new Sears Grand stores, former Essentials, former Big Kmart, former Kmart won't do miracles for Sears.  The real Sears Grand stores are truly grand, those new renamed Sears Grand will remain former Big Kmart, former Kmart stores turned into essentials renamed Grand without being that Grand... a bit like the Big Kmart name that replaced the original Kmart stores even if the Big Kmarts were no bigger than the original Kmarts...!  Those Sears Grand won't be like the real Sears Grand, they will be former Kmart stores renamed several times by Kmart and Sears...  It seems to be a clear and focused strategy...  :roll:

beachgal26

I love it.  What a great idea!!!!

Zayre88

A lot of things are going on at Sears right now:  they announced poor sales... again, after that the company announced that they would reorganize into five business units (operating businesses, support, brands, online and real estate) each unit of the company will have a separate, internal profit and loss statement and designated leader.  The stock went down from $193 in april 2007 to $90 in january.  Finally, they announced that Chief Executive Aylwin B. Lewis would leave the company.

3 years after the merger, things are not going so well at Sears and Kmart stores...

Zayre88

In a lot of articles, people are writing about Sears and Kmart and they often say that the company should get rid of Kmart and build on Sears.  

Here's one suggesting to get rid of Sears and work with Kmart!

http://adage.com/columns/article?article_id=124906

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
In a lot of articles, people are writing about Sears and Kmart and they often say that the company should get rid of Kmart and build on Sears.  

Here's one suggesting to get rid of Sears and work with Kmart!

http://adage.com/columns/article?article_id=124906

These are my thoughts exactly keep Kmart, ditch Sears.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

videogamer75

This is how I would improve Kmart and Sears

FOR KMART:

1. Convert all Sears Essentials/Grand stores back to Kmart, but keep the Essentials/Grand look, reformatted to fit the Kmart name.

2. Open 30 new Kmarts, 10 of which being Super Centers in 2009.

3. Update all Kmart stores to the new logo and give all stores a facelift as well. (Although as a retail fan I'd like to keep at least one of the 1970's stores with the classic logo, such as the one in Burlington VT, intact.)

4. Advertise Kmart more and work towards lower prices. Try to attract both Wal-Mart shoppers and Target shoppers with an emphasis on low prices as well as an ''upscale'' image.

5. Clean the stores up. No more merchandise thrown all about the aisles, no more dirt on the floor and ceiling, widen up the aisles a bit and most importantly - install new lights.

FOR SEARS:

1. Bring back the electronics and toys departments.

2. Try to get more popular brands and lines into the stores, while expanding on Kenmore and Craftsman brands.

3. Update all stores with new storefronts (although once again I would keep at least one vintage store intact.)

4. Lower the prices and have more sales at the store.

I know it wasn't a very creative list of improvements but that is what I would do if I had to turn Sears Holdings Corp. around.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
This is how I would improve Kmart and Sears

FOR KMART:

1. Convert all Sears Essentials/Grand stores back to Kmart, but keep the Essentials/Grand look, reformatted to fit the Kmart name.

2. Open 30 new Kmarts, 10 of which being Super Centers in 2009.

3. Update all Kmart stores to the new logo and give all stores a facelift as well. (Although as a retail fan I'd like to keep at least one of the 1970's stores with the classic logo, such as the one in Burlington VT, intact.)

4. Advertise Kmart more and work towards lower prices. Try to attract both Wal-Mart shoppers and Target shoppers with an emphasis on low prices as well as an ''upscale'' image.

5. Clean the stores up. No more merchandise thrown all about the aisles, no more dirt on the floor and ceiling, widen up the aisles a bit and most importantly - install new lights.

FOR SEARS:

1. Bring back the electronics and toys departments.

2. Try to get more popular brands and lines into the stores, while expanding on Kenmore and Craftsman brands.

3. Update all stores with new storefronts (although once again I would keep at least one vintage store intact.)

4. Lower the prices and have more sales at the store.

I know it wasn't a very creative list of improvements but that is what I would do if I had to turn Sears Holdings Corp. around.

GOOD PLAN, last week I Went to a super Kmart in PHoenix that is closing.

videogamer75

Thanks, D_fife! :) I think if Kmart put more into it, the supercenters could be a big success. I don't know the last time Kmart opened a new store.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Thanks, D_fife! :) I think if Kmart put more into it, the supercenters could be a big success. I don't know the last time Kmart opened a new store.

The Kmart near me relocated to a much bigger store in 1997.