Sears/KMart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakethis1234

News Release
 << Back  

Kmart, Sears: Hart-Scott-Rodino Clearance
TROY, Mich., and HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Jan 28, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Kmart and Sears announced today that the waiting period under the Hart-Scott- Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act expired as of 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on January 27, 2005.

The merger, which is expected to close in early March 2005, is subject to approval by Kmart and Sears shareholders, other regulatory approvals and the satisfaction or waiver of customary closing conditions. all from Sears.com

HoJofan206

It needs to be noted that K-Mart bought out Sears, NOT the other way around.  Many people are assuming that Sears will change the name of many K-Mart stores to Sears, this is not the case.  K-Mart is in charge here, not Sears.

It is of my opinion that both names will continue to be used.  I think you will see the Sears brand in more "big box" locations and start to offer many more items/services, like a true department store.  It is a known fact that the modern "big box" stores make a larger profit than the mall anchor stores do.  This is what has hurt Sears in the past, being associated with the mall.  Over the past year, a lot of money was invested in Sears locations to update them and to clean up the store appearances.  IF, K-Mart is smart, they will grow the Sears name and get the name associated with the same crowd that shops at Wal-Mart.  Being the third largest company (now that KM and Sears are one) is not a bad place to be. (Home Depot is #2).  They just need to make solid decisions and not make the same mistake so many retailers have made in the past when absorbing another fledging company.  Kinda like what happened when Ames took over the ailing Hills and Zayres stores.  They just pulled poor  Ames right down with them.  I hope this does not happen with K-Mart or Sears.  Someone has to compete against Sprawl-Mart, I mean Wal-Mart.  Feel free to respond....

shakethis1234

Merger is now Complete starting this Monday on the stock market Sears Holding Co 400 k marts will be Sears essentials soon all Kmarts will be Sears Essentials

Zayre88

I'm not sure if all Kmart will become Sears Essentials...  In many towns, Sears has a mall store and there is a Kmart in the area also.  What will happen?

Will Sears go off-mall in the Kmart and close the mall store, will Sears operate two stores in the same town ?

Discuss! :yup:

katnapped

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
I'm not sure if all Kmart will become Sears Essentials...  In many towns, Sears has a mall store and there is a Kmart in the area also.  What will happen?

Will Sears go off-mall in the Kmart and close the mall store, will Sears operate two stores in the same town ?

Discuss! :yup:

There's a lot of variables that one would have to know before you could make a guess which (if either) would close if there's two stores that "overlap".  What's the rent/lease terms on each location?  What kind of store traffic (customers) does each location get?  What condition is the building in?  Is the building big enough or would the addition of any merchandise cause a problem?

My guess (of the Kmart locations), most likely the smallest stores will be closed, the Kmart in "marginal" areas will be remodeled but stay Kmart, and the better locations will become Sears Essentials.

shakethis1234

I watch the news the other day  it was Friday they said no stores will closed that good. all i have in Fulton Ny is Kmart 94,000sf big kmart but every thing is spread out.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
I watch the news the other day  it was Friday they said no stores will closed that good. all i have in Fulton Ny is Kmart 94,000sf big kmart but every thing is spread out.

What they say and what they do are two different things. I believe several mall sears, and closeby kmarts will be closed/converted

shakethis1234

I read in the Poststanderd the other day and said that sears workers will be getting Pay cuts

shakethis1234

Go to Searsmedia.com they have all kind of stores The great out doors Sears Grand Sears Sears Hardware and also tells you how to get into one of there Franchise Selling ther stuff tin your store

shakethis1234

They Would keep all sotres open to Compete with Walmart

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

SKEARS!

SEARKS!

S&K's !

Searks mart

K sears

Kres-sears!

lol any names that you've imagined up?:insane::mrpink:

Caldor1999

Kmart + Sears = Merger Merger + Kamrt + Sears = Death or GOB
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

NOT LIKELY!:)

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB

NOT LIKELY!:)

i know i just though idd post it seeing  what they did to a old kamrt
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

tokensafari

It was a mind blowing move by Kmart, but i like it. I think they'll be around for some time now because of this move!

Zayre88

I have a question here...

When you go at a Sears Essentials, can you expect to have the things announced on sale in the Kmart flyer, the Sears flyer, both or is there's a specific sales flyer for Essentials ...??  :roll:

XDeSuEhTX

I hate seeing what has happened to K Mart over the past few years. Even after this merger, I think we all know what's going to happen. Also, I think Sears shouldn't make the company into just the "Sears" name. I think they should leave the two the way they are, and operate both names at the same time. In my opinion merging is just a sign of company death.

I think we all have to face the fact that in another 15 years or maybe less, there will be nothing but Wal-Mart.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Zayre88

I finally went to a Sears Essential !!  In Nashua NH.

I never saw that store as a Kmart.  My first impression was, the store looks big but has a tiny "Sears Essential" logo.  This can't be serious.  Another thing outside is the very old "Garden" sign left from Kmart...  (picture)

When i entered, it looked very Kmart.  The smell, the neon lighting, the registers, the service desk...  The section at right of the store is full of Craftsman tools.  It looks like a Sears tool section, but near the pharmacy.  Then at the back of the store:  appliances. It does not look very professional.  It looks like they were placed there on the floor without any special fixture to outline the department.  Finally, you notice the Sears clothing lines located on a newly carpeted area.  The food section is not that big and located at left of the store near the registers.

The store is clean, large, bright but it really feels like a Kmart with Sears merchandise in it.  I don't understand why people will want to go there to buy a Kenmore diswasher and milk, or a Craftsman table saw and Aspirin.  

Overall:  this can't be serious... :boring:

Zayre88

Here's another Sears Essentials with a very small logo... !

d_fife

Here's another Sears Essentials with a very small logo... !

this is the one in Londonderry. I went to it when it was a K-mart and by the look of the buidling It is the one in Londonderry.

Zayre88

Caldor1999

sad to see sears not doing much to the old kamrts and from the looks of it there not gonna be around much longer
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

sad to see sears not doing much to the old kamrts and from the looks of it there not gonna be around much longer

IT hasn't even been a year since they merged!!!!!!!! Give them time, but then K-mart has been struggling for 20 years now.

but I noticed that at Sears Essentials, the parking lots are not very full. I wonder if a costumer thinks, different name, same store!!! The prices need to go down a little. At least the stores are not at the point where it is just the employees.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

IT hasn't even been a year since they merged!!!!!!!! Give them time, but then K-mart has been struggling for 20 years now.

but I noticed that at Sears Essentials, the parking lots are not very full. I wonder if a costumer thinks, different name, same store!!! The prices need to go down a little. At least the stores are not at the point where it is just the employees.

well i never likde sears so i wouldent care if they went out Sears has failed to be a a real Dept store like JC Penny Kohls Macys ECT alot of there stores are out dated and cheep looking there meachandise is shotty u can never find anything good there really and there logo is sooo horrble looking kmart has also had that problem to so i dont see them being around much longer i think Sears Will End Up like Montgomery Ward witch use to be its comptishion
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

Sears Holdings wants to buy Sears Canada.  They already own 53% of the company.  

In august, Sears Canada sold it's credit card business to JP MorganChase and later returned the proceeds to shareholders, including Sears Holdings !!  

http://searsholdings.com/pubrel/pressOne.jsp?id=2005-12-05-0004227434

Zayre88

Sears announced it cancels the Sears Essentials format and the stores will be renamed Sears Grand after some remodeling.

SEE STORY AT: http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2006-02-24-sears-usat_x.htm

Caldor1999

Sears announced it cancels the Sears Essentials format and the stores will be renamed Sears Grand after some remodeling.

so all the fromer kmarts that becamse Sears essentials are now going to become Sears Grand????
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

so all the fromer kmarts that becamse Sears essentials are now going to become Sears Grand????

how is sears grand different than sears essentials. I went in the sears essentials in Keene, londenderry and nashua nh stores and they were no busier than the kmarts that they took over!!! the sears prices are higher. I hvae a friend who wokrs at the one in londonderry and he says the sears is not doing well. Right their prices are higher and their quality does not seem to be any different

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

how is sears grand different than sears essentials. I went in the sears essentials in Keene, londenderry and nashua nh stores and they were no busier than the kmarts that they took over!!! the sears prices are higher. I hvae a friend who wokrs at the one in londonderry and he says the sears is not doing well. Right their prices are higher and their quality does not seem to be any different

sears dosnet have such good quality with alot of things unless if its a a refigratior or a oven ect
Caldor Forever!

Anonymous

Sears Holdings wants to buy Sears Canada.  They already own 53% of the company.  

In august, Sears Canada sold it's credit card business to JP MorganChase and later returned the proceeds to shareholders, including Sears Holdings !!  

http://searsholdings.com/pubrel/pressOne.jsp?id=2005-12-05-0004227434

The acquisition of Sears Canada is almost done now, the majority of the minority shareholders have tendered to Sears Holdings.  

In other Sears/Kmart news, Martha Stewart signed a deal with Macy's to sell a line of products in it's stores.  Martha Stewart products are now found at Kmart in the U.S. and at Sears Canada.  Sears wanted to bring the martha line in their stores but the Macy's deal will probably kill any chance of getting Martha into Sears.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=20116

Zayre88  -  forgot to login..;)