Mall Food Courts

Started by reitelle, November 03, 2009, 11:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Pikapower on February 05, 2015, 07:05:50 PM
O.K. name me one mall that is not dead that doesn't have a food court?

Taubman's Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, Connecticut. It's an upscale mall. By not having a Food Court it supposedly keeps away the "riff-raff". They do have traditional Food Court Eateries, but they're dine-in locations. Burger King, Subway, Taco Bell and Sbarro Pizza.

Then they have regular restaurants too - California Pizza Kitchen, Au Bon Pain, Ruby Tuesdays, and PF Chang's.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on February 05, 2015, 07:54:12 PM

Taubman's Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, Connecticut. It's an upscale mall. By not having a Food Court it supposedly keeps away the "riff-raff". They do have traditional Food Court Eateries, but they're dine-in locations. Burger King, Subway, Taco Bell and Sbarro Pizza.

Then they have regular restaurants too - California Pizza Kitchen, Au Bon Pain, Ruby Tuesdays, and PF Chang's.

Plus, the Westfarms area has dozens of food options along Southeast Road and New Britain Ave. Some mainstream options include Chilis, Panera, Red Robin, Chipotle, Olive Garden, and fast food chains McDonald's and another Burger King.

a.estok

Century III Mall's food court currently consists of Charley's Subs, Italian Village Pizza, The Asian Rice Bowl, and the French Fry Factory.

Subway, Mrs. Field's Cookies, Arby's and Orange Julia's all have closed within the last 2 years or so.

Hudsons81

Southland Center in Taylor, Michigan. They used to have one from 1992 to 2006, a Best Buy store is in that space now. It does have a dine-in Subway and it's on the West Court at the start of the corridor leading to the future Cinemark 12/former Mervyn's.

Anyway, here's the food court of the soon-to-close-for-good former sister mall Northland Center in Southfield, Michigan. This was added in a 1991 renovation that also added a TJMaxx store (vacant again after serving as a playplace called Extreme Fun).

buzz86us

Quote from: Hudsons81 on March 19, 2015, 01:21:12 PM

Southland Center in Taylor, Michigan. They used to have one from 1992 to 2006, a Best Buy store is in that space now. It does have a dine-in Subway and it's on the West Court at the start of the corridor leading to the future Cinemark 12/former Mervyn's.

Anyway, here's the food court of the soon-to-close-for-good former sister mall Northland Center in Southfield, Michigan. This was added in a 1991 renovation that also added a TJMaxx store (vacant again after serving as a playplace called Extreme Fun).

King Burger seriously? What were they a mom-and-pop that took over the old burger king space and reversed the sign?

Pikapower

^Burger King would not be pleased with that!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Hudsons81

Quote from: buzz86us on May 24, 2015, 01:08:33 PM

King Burger seriously? What were they a mom-and-pop that took over the old burger king space and reversed the sign?

Actually, that was a former A&W.

BillyGr

There was just a story about mall food courts in the Times Union yesterday - the link is here:

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-business/article/Mall-shoppers-seek-broader-tastes-than-food-court-6283209.php

(You can only see some of it but basically it suggests that malls are redeveloping their food courts to have less stands as they are having trouble keeping all of them filled due to less people eating there with changes in shopping patterns and more other food choices in the mall outside the food court).

For instance, in one of the malls in this area, a jewelry store is taking over the corner space on the mall end of the food court.

Hudsons81

Forgot to mention this.

Up until very recently Southland Center had a mini-"food court" in the former Mervyn's corridor (it was never officially called a food court) that consisted of Cinnabon (later Chimney Cake Cafe), some smoothie place and Taco Bell. That "food court" has now been removed to make room for H&M.

Hudsons81

That Subway is now closed.

TheFugitive

What, shopping in a mall and not being able to stuff your face?  It's un-American!   ;D

Pikapower

Quote from: TheFugitive on June 19, 2015, 09:14:23 AM
What, shopping in a mall and not being able to stuff your face?  It's un-American!   ;D

Some malls have restaurants in them, so it's not like you have to leave the mall to eat, but a mall without a food court is un-American!

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Pikapower on June 19, 2015, 02:15:00 PM

Some malls have restaurants in them, so it's not like you have to leave the mall to eat, but a mall without a food court is un-American!

As I replied to a post of yours on this page back in February Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, Connecticut does not have a food court. It's an upscale mall and they don't want the "riff-raff" hanging out there. It's been like that for a very long time.

JimSawhill

King Burger?? Really...?  I wonder if Burger King sued them....

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on June 19, 2015, 02:31:25 PM
Quote from: Pikapower on June 19, 2015, 02:15:00 PM

As I replied to a post of yours on this page back in February Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, Connecticut does not have a food court. It's an upscale mall and they don't want the "riff-raff" hanging out there. It's been like that for a very long time.

WestFarms never had a food court... They had when i was a kid an A&W and a Friendly's...

Ameskid

The food court (and other food-related vacancies) at Owings Mills Mall in Maryland.  These shots are a few years old, so the mall/food court is even more dead than you see here, if you can imagine. There are eleven tenants left in the entire mall. Every tenant seen here has since vacated the food court. Yikes.

Food Court, Owings Mills Mall by Harvestman Man, on Flickr
Owings Mills Mall, Owings Mills, MD by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

Yes, that Mrs. Fields is permanently closed. No real reason to remove the signage, now is there?
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TheFugitive

a Simon property, I presume?

That looks like a dead-ringer for the recently renovated food court at South Hills Village.

ynkeesfn82

Actually they're owned by GGP - General Growth Properties.

http://www.owingsmillsmall.com/

Ameskid

Quote from: Marc B on June 26, 2015, 12:18:47 PM

Not the most fitting name, considering the circumstances...it's pretty clear that they are content with letting this one die.

Redevelopment plans, most of which have included the mall's demolition, have been tossed around for a while now.  That was the motive behind taking those photos: the mall was supposed to be demolished by 2013.

mixedday

Quote from: Ameskid on June 27, 2015, 11:49:05 PM

Not the most fitting name, considering the circumstances...it's pretty clear that they are content with letting this one die.

Redevelopment plans, most of which have included the mall's demolition, have been tossed around for a while now.  That was the motive behind taking those photos: the mall was supposed to be demolished by 2013.

I wonder why a mixed use center like Voorhees Town Center couldn't be accomplished?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voorhees_Town_Center#/media/File:Voorheestownmain.JPG

Voorhees Town Center also has two department stores remaining (Boscov's and Macy's). Coincidentally it was originally a Rouse Co. developed mall like Owings Mills.

mixedday

Moorestown Mall's foodcourt renovation is complete. PREIT has decided to call it Dining Court instead of Food Court.

Many tenants left (or forced to leave) to make way for the redevelopment. The redevelopment was actually done just to fit Yard House, a new restaurant/bar, in the premise.
http://www.yardhouse.com/home

So the mall has about 4 restaurants. These restaurants attract young people but the mall (the enclosed part) doesn't actually benefit but remains rather dead.

And, for those that like food courts for food courts, one will be disappointed. There is Subway, Saladworks and Rita's Water Ice, and signs for a Japanese sushi place and a hot dog place. Oddly, no pizza place. But 5 tenants isn't a lot of variety.

I'm pretty much underwhelmed by PREIT's malls, and redevelopment of Moorestown particularly.

MikeRa

Quote from: mixedday on July 12, 2015, 09:27:41 PM
Quote from: Ameskid on June 27, 2015, 11:49:05 PM

Redevelopment plans, most of which have included the mall's demolition, have been tossed around for a while now.  That was the motive behind taking those photos: the mall was supposed to be demolished by 2013.

I wonder why a mixed use center like Voorhees Town Center couldn't be accomplished?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voorhees_Town_Center#/media/File:Voorheestownmain.JPG

Voorhees Town Center also has two department stores remaining (Boscov's and Macy's). Coincidentally it was originally a Rouse Co. developed mall like Owings Mills.
Voorhees Town Center still has it's food court.  The Boscov's was originally Lit Brothers, and Macy's was originally Strawbridge & Clothier.  JCPenney was a former longtime anchor that was replaced by The Boulevard which includes Iron Hill Brewery, and the Cinema Echelon (operated by General Cinema Corporation) is now part of the parking lot by the Food Court
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

mixedday

The Voorhees Town Center mall foodcourt is actually pretty decent relative to the fact the mall has few stores, besides the Macy's and Boscov's anchors. I wish PREIT put better looking chairs, but I digress.

I saw signs there that Burger King is actually opening up. And that is interesting since how often does Burger King open up in new locations, esp. that are mall foodcourts.

The boulevard has more places to eat including a frozen yogurt store, and actual restaurants.

On another note:

What's interesting to me is Cherry Hill Mall, the premier PREIT mall in South Jersey, has a small Starbucks inside Macy's by the Macy's mall entrance. I do wonder if Macy's has some long term contract with Starbucks for that arrangement, that also prevents Starbucks from opening a location in CH Mall somewhat more central in the busy mall, or atleast by the foodcourt. I dropped a friend there for shopping and she didn't even know Starbucks was inside the Macy's.

In Deptford Mall and several other malls I've been to around the country, Starbucks has a very central location in a mall. The Lehigh Valley Mall has a Starbucks that is central within the mall, and a Barnes&Noble that sells Starbucks coffee as well.

Of the So. NJ malls, I prefer Deptford Mall of the South Jersey Malls, for it's layout, food court, and still being a mall at it's core not some hybrid of things (i.e. Moorestown Mall), even though it lacks some store only found in CH Mall within South Jersey. Deptford Mall still lacks some big names like the Apple Store, but overall is still healthy. (I do wonder if the Gloucester Outlets will hurt the mall but probably not).

Christiana Mall in Delaware is even nicer than Deptford Mall, but it's a bit too far, traffic  and there is the Del Mem Bridge toll, for South Jersey residents. I was very pleased with that Christiana renovation. The Nordstrom, Target, Barnes & Noble and new food court really made that mall a lot stronger than from the time after Lord & Taylor closed.

Pikapower

Quote from: mixedday on September 02, 2015, 04:41:59 PM
Moorestown Mall's foodcourt renovation is complete. PREIT has decided to call it Dining Court instead of Food Court.

Many tenants left (or forced to leave) to make way for the redevelopment. The redevelopment was actually done just to fit Yard House, a new restaurant/bar, in the premise.

So the mall has about 4 restaurants. These restaurants attract young people but the mall (the enclosed part) doesn't actually benefit but remains rather dead.

And, for those that like food courts for food courts, one will be disappointed. There is Subway, Saladworks and Rita's Water Ice, and signs for a Japanese sushi place and a hot dog place. Oddly, no pizza place. But 5 tenants isn't a lot of variety.

What!? No pizzeria in the food court, that's plan unamerican!  :-\

Ameskid

Quote from: Ameskid on June 25, 2015, 08:25:32 PM
The food court (and other food-related vacancies) at Owings Mills Mall in Maryland.  These shots are a few years old, so the mall/food court is even more dead than you see here, if you can imagine. There are eleven tenants left in the entire mall. Every tenant seen here has since vacated the food court. Yikes.

Just as a quick addendum: as of ten days ago, there were five tenants left.

And as of today, the mall has closed. The remaining anchors are closing and the wrecking ball is in the near future.

mixedday

Quote from: Ameskid on September 25, 2015, 01:04:43 AM
Quote from: Ameskid on June 25, 2015, 08:25:32 PM

Just as a quick addendum: as of ten days ago, there were five tenants left.

And as of today, the mall has closed. The remaining anchors are closing and the wrecking ball is in the near future.

Macy's has announced closure there by November. I wonder how long JCPenney will last by itself, while redevelopment is just plans? In some ways, JCPenney needs the location more, as it lacks a store by the Towson area, while Macy's (along with Nordstrom) is in the best mall in Baltimore County. JCPenney has a store in White Marsh in NE Baltimore County, but it's 22 miles away.

In So. NJ, there is the Burlington Center Mall that just has Sears left. The mall owner has these grandiose plans**, but I feel it might follow the fate of Owings Mills Mall as well, which is it stays in status quo for longer than expected. I also wonder how long Sears will stick in Burlington Center Mall by itself. There is another Sears 11 miles south (straight down I-295) and within Burlington county in Moorestown Mall. The signage for the Sears in Burlington Center is also poor.

http://articles.philly.com/2015-01-25/news/58412020_1_cortana-mall-burlington-center-mall-steven-maksin

Quote from: Pikapower on September 24, 2015, 07:04:40 PM
Quote from: mixedday on September 02, 2015, 04:41:59 PM

What!? No pizzeria in the food court, that's plan unamerican!  :-\

It's a terrible renovation effort. No pizza, no real cafe, and just a few chains. However, I do wonder if PREIT will try to encourage Chipotle to move into the new foodcourt. It operates on another side of the mall with it's own entrance and not directly reachable from within the enclosed mall without exiting the mall. Chipotle just opened in Christiana Mall's foodcourt.

I happen to come across a small mall in Hazleton, PA called Laurel Mall. From the outside, it looks like it'd be anemic. It has Boscov's and Kmart as anchors, and now Dunham Sports also. But it's quite an interesting small market mall inside. And there is a great Italian pizzeria/cafe in the mall. Also, the Boscov's in the mall has a restaurant. Not that I'd seek out for it, but it makes the dept. store even more interesting. I wonder if Boscov would open restaurants in other locations.

mixedday

The Plymouth Meeting Mall in Plymouth Meeting, PA also has a very weak/dead food court.

However, there are plenty of food options in the mall property inside (level 2) and outside.
-Chipotle with it's own dining area attached to the mall
-Chick Fil A on second level with it's own dining area
-Whole Foods
See all here:
http://shopplymouthmeetingmall.com/directory/dining

It's one malls where I wonder if PREIT will consider removing the foodcourt and replace it with some other use, as the space for the foodcourt is totally extraneous at this point.

Not PREIT owned, and on the other side of PA, the Ross Park Mall in Pittsburgh area is a strong mall with a lot of tenants including upscale tenants, but it has an uninspiring and limited foodcourt.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Bay Park Square Mall in Green Bay, Wisconsin has these restaurants in its food court, which looks like a football field:

A&W All-American Food
Stir Fry 88
Sbarro Pizza & Italian
Nori Japan
Maldonado's Mexican
Charley's Grilled Subs
Subway Sandwiches
Gloria Jean's Coffees
Auntie Anne's Pretzels

Ameskid

Are there any malls/shopping centers out there that haven't had at least one Auntie Anne's or Mrs. Field's around the food court? They seem to be everywhere.

From what I can tell, Orange Julius was the same way back in the day, though perhaps not quite as plentiful.

Pikapower

If I owned a mall I'd have a food court with the following:

*Sbarro
*Subway
*Tim Hortons
*Dairy Queen/Orange Julius
*Taco Bell/KFC 
*Wendy's (gotta sneek one of the "big three" in there)
*Arby's
*a Chinese food place