Main Menu

Savers

Started by standa, September 19, 2009, 12:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

Is Savers good?  I read they are expanding in CT.  

store215

Savers (from what I understand) is a For-Profit thrift store which means it doesn't really help out the community like Goodwill and others supposedly do. So basically, people donate stuff, they price it, and keep the money. Good for the environment, yes, but doesn't sound like a great store to me.

standa

I read they pay charities for donated items.

standa

Does anyone know where the Savers stores in Hamden, Newington, and Waterbury, CT will be located?

Marc82

Yeah the one in Waterbury is in half of the old Shoprite. They're gonna open in 2010.

TRU7536

Does anyone know about this place? They are opening one in Newington (in the former Franks)

ameskmart1

Savers is a thrift store/second-hand store based in Seattle, WA. They have stores in Canada known as Value Village (Village des Valuers in Quebec).

http://www.savers.com/Default.aspx
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Marc82

TRU7536

can we move this thread to the other Savers thread. Thanks

Marc82

Saver's in Newington is opening on this Thursday 2/25/10.

jmcnamara96

Savers in Nashua NH is moving into the Old Circut City they painted it tan funny thing the painted with latex and a few days later half the "plug" was painted i peeled off it suppose to open in March 17?

Marc82

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on February 22, 2010, 07:54:16 PM
Savers in Nashua NH is moving into the Old Circut City they painted it tan funny thing the painted with latex and a few days later half the "plug" was painted i peeled off it suppose to open in March 17?

Nothing on their website yet. Maybe when it gets closer?

Marc82

Saver's Waterbury opens May 6, 2007. 670 Wolcott Street. Formerly Shoprite.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: Marc B on April 19, 2010, 05:32:29 PM

2007?

DerangedHermit

They're opening one in the Stop & Shop shopping center in Medford, NY where Steve & Barry's (and before that, S&S itself) used to be.

Marc82

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on April 19, 2010, 05:36:04 PM
Quote from: Marc B on April 19, 2010, 05:32:29 PM

2007?

I don't know where that came from. I must've been high that day. 2010.  :P

gu4ever

There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on April 22, 2010, 12:10:13 AM

Yea ive been there alot latey got pics inside and out just havent uploaded them yet =p

ynkeesfn82

Savers must be opening a store in Bristol, Connecticut. There was an ad on Careerbuilder.com that they're looking for a manager in Bristol, Connecticut. I wonder where they're going. Perhaps in the old Stop & Shop on Famington Ave next to TJMAXX. I just don't think they'd subdivide the old Shaw's.

ynkeesfn82

Saver's is opening in Meriden, CT. They're taking over the old Circuit City, which itself was part of an old Super A&P Foodmart.

http://myrecordjournal.com/latestnews/article_1a3e30da-592b-11df-a78c-001cc4c03286.html

DerangedHermit

The Medford, NY Savers just opened last week, and it's better than Salvation Army or Goodwill.

They're also opening another in Holbrook, NY in a few weeks in a former Circuit City.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on May 03, 2010, 05:58:03 PM
Savers must be opening a store in Bristol, Connecticut. There was an ad on Careerbuilder.com that they're looking for a manager in Bristol, Connecticut. I wonder where they're going. Perhaps in the old Stop & Shop on Famington Ave next to TJMAXX. I just don't think they'd subdivide the old Shaw's.

They are in fact opening in the old Stop & Shop next to TJ Maxx in Bristol, CT. There are signs in the window announcing they are hiring Entry Level Managers and to Contact Mr. Torres and gave the phone number of their Waterbury Store. So far nothing is listed on their website.

ynkeesfn82

Savers in Bristol: Grand opening March 3rd, 2011. They had a job fair this week.

ynkeesfn82

Went to Savers in Bristol with my Mom today. It looks like the other 2 Savers I've been to - Meriden and Waterbury. It looks nothing like the old Stop & Shop.

DJ Prolifick from KISS 95.7 was broadcasting live.

jmcnamara96

They opened one in Manchester NH about 9 months ago in a Former WOW (Work Out World) and before that it was a A&P

ynkeesfn82

Savers is closing down their Waterbury, Connecticut store on November 16th! I wonder if the Big Lots next door will expand.

http://rep-am.com/Business/763390.txt (Note: This is only a partial article. The Waterbury Republican-American Newspaper Charges to read articles online).

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on November 08, 2013, 02:50:16 PM
Savers is closing down their Waterbury, Connecticut store on November 16th! I wonder if the Big Lots next door will expand.

http://rep-am.com/Business/763390.txt (Note: This is only a partial article. The Waterbury Republican-American Newspaper Charges to read articles online).

I am kind of shocked by this. These type of thrift stores are all the rage now. Wonder what happened.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on November 08, 2013, 06:06:19 PM
I am kind of shocked by this. These type of thrift stores are all the rage now. Wonder what happened.

Yes they are especially after last year's hit song "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore and Lewis.  Maybe they had a problem with theft. Although I usually shopped at The Bristol store because I go to Bristol more often than I go to Waterbury I thought the Waterbury store was nicer than the one in Bristol as is the one in Meriden.

retailisking

Only one review of this store on Yelp, but I wonder if there's a grain of truth in it...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/savers-waterbury

ynkeesfn82

So a friend of mine who is still a subscriber to the paper version of the Waterbury newspaper told me the article said the store is closing because sales have been slow and that no other Connecticut stores would be closing. (Where have we heard that before?)